Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

First mailday in YEARS...M116 Red Sox team set additions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I don't believe I have had a proper mailday in at least a couple years. Been a while. :) I took a bit of a break from collecting mainly so I could save up some money but at the same time not too much interested me for my collection. A couple weeks ago I was browsing eBay and saw a couple cards for sale that I still needed for a team set I had been working on. Prices seemed good enough to me so I BINed them both for ~$185 dlvd total. I said I would wait until my birthday to open and post them so here they are:

m116wagner_zps225bcf0e.jpg

(Back type #2 )

m116gardner_zps96d12707.jpg

(Back type #3 )

These go very nicely with the other 9 I have...might finish the team set by the time I turn 80. :D

m116redsoxts001_zpsdd54aac1.jpg

The M116 Sporting Life was more of a promotional baseball card set...there was a mail in offer from the Sporting Life newspaper to help promote the sales over the rival sporting newspaper, The Sporting News. For 24 weeks straight you could mail in the ad from the Sporting Life and receive 12 baseball cards, over 300 total including all players and variations. Some cards had pastel backgrounds and others blue backgrounds. The set had 3 different backs [shown below] with the type 3 back being the rarest. I absolutely love the look of these cards with the pastel colors and the unique backs. I am attempting the Red Sox team set but there are a few that are extremely rare so it's a set I might not ever finish...but I'll give it a good shot. If anyone wants a complete checklist CLICK HERE which gives rarities and is also sortable by rarity, and team/player names.

m116backs_zpse690c2c4.jpg

I think it's time to update the old sig:

m116sig.jpg

That should do it for this years mailday...hopefully I will have another sometime soon. After going through a lot of my old cards getting my collection sorted out I want to start adding to it again. :D

Thanks for looking!
-Scott

Last edited:

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Happy birthday Scott, I'm glad you were able to get back! Do you think you'll pick up anything else while you're hot?

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Happy birthday Scott, I'm glad you were able to get back! Do you think you'll pick up anything else while you're hot?
Much appreciated, Brian! I've definitely been searching for something else to buy but haven't seen much else I really need. Might start off slow by finishing my 1939 Play Ball Red Sox team set, only have a few left for that one. One thing I have been terrible at is finishing sets, player collecting is MUCH easier lol!

Last edited:

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
Love those old pieces of cardboard! I think the SGC slabs look really good compared to the PSA slabs. I especially like the name on the front of the jerseys!

BTW, Happy Birthday!

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
So I was looking through my Photobucket and saw a couple scans of other M116's that I assumed I just kept scans of that I wanted to buy, but apparently I own them when I searched for the thread that I found HERE. Can't seem to find them though, they must be in a real safe spot, lol. I guess I'll have to spend my afternoon searching for them. (This is why I like my cards slabbed!!! ::shakes fist:: :lol: ) I'll update when I find them...

m116donahue.jpg
carriganm116front.jpg

Happy Birthday, Scott! Congrats on the pickups. Keep plugging away!
Thanks Jay!....I'm sure you know very well that with old vintage all you can do is just plug away and wait for the next affordable copy to surface. More of a waiting game than anything, but if I wasn't patient I would probably not collect vintage. :lol:

Damn Scotty, those a sweet!! Congrats and Happy Birthday! That's one hell of a Birthday mailday
Many thanks, Dan! I thought it was a good way to celebrate the big 2-4. (Too early to say I'm getting too old? ;) )

Way to go Scott!
Thanks Dan :)

Love those old pieces of cardboard! I think the SGC slabs look really good compared to the PSA slabs. I especially like the name on the front of the jerseys!

BTW, Happy Birthday!
Much appreciated. There is just something about the old cards that draw you to them. I too perfer the SGC slabs for pre-war vintage because the black makes the cards stand out nice. I like PSA for post-war vintage.

Last edited:

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Hope you complete your Boston set well before turning 80!
I looked at some of the Yankees in the set....not even going there.
DANNY

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Scotty! Nice pick ups and happy belated birthday!
Thanks Andy! :)

Hope you complete your Boston set well before turning 80!
I looked at some of the Yankees in the set....not even going there.
DANNY
I hope you are right, Danny! haha...Can't blame you for not wanting to attempt the Yankee team set, it would be a very costly project and I'm sure they wouldn't surface often. As for my team set there are a couple players with 2 variations which I believe is different back types but I'm just going to go for one copy of each player.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Hey I'm 32, so your still young, lol
Heh, I guess so. :) Any recent additions to your collection, Dan? Always liked seeing your pickups...

UPDATE!

Found the Bill Carrigan and Pat Donovan M116's. They were tucked away in a shoebox I forgot that I had. Would really like to get them slabbed so if anyone is doing a PSA or SGC sub within the next few months PLEASE send me a PM! :)

Updated picture:

m116redsoxts001_zpsdd54aac1.jpg

So now I have these players left to obtain for the complete team set minus back variations:
-Smokey Joe Wood :|
-Clyde Engle
-Patsy Donovan
-Frank Smith :|
-Tom Madden
-Ray Collins
-Tris Speaker :|
-Harry Hooper
-Frank Arrellanes

:| = Rare and/or expensive!

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
unfortunately no new vintage items for me as I have been concentrating on prospects for this upcoming year. But I have been living vicariously through other members vintage pickups.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
unfortunately no new vintage items for me as I have been concentrating on prospects for this upcoming year. But I have been living vicariously through other members vintage pickups.
Nothing wrong with that! :) I've been trying to follow the prospects a bit but I can only really handle the Red Sox farm system. Too many youngin's to keep track of. =P

Awesome cards Scott! That is quite the haul and must have been a nice mailday to open :)
Many thanks, Alex! It was an awesome mailday to open....now I want to get more cards in. :D Back in the good ole' days I would get a package every other day...I'd always have something to look forward to! Sadly my wallet is telling me that I shouldn't try to repeat those days :lol:

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Scott, if there is anyone in Salem who you'd like an autograph of for the upcoming season, let me know and I'll try to get you one.
DANNY

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
Looking really good Scott! It's great to see one of your maildays again and I'm hoping we'll see more of them.
The best thing to do is to sell me all your Doerr cards though... :D

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Looking really good Scott! It's great to see one of your maildays again and I'm hoping we'll see more of them.
The best thing to do is to sell me all your Doerr cards though... :D
Geeze if I knew all it would take to get you back around these parts was to post a mailday thread I would have done that years ago! ;) I have my eye on a couple cards, we'll see if I pull the trigger. :) And I think we had an agreement way back that I'll charge you a small fee to come to MA and you can view the Doerr museum, haha. =P Any new additions for your Doerr/Red Sox collection or have you slowed down buying as well?

Anywho hope all is going well on the West Coast my friend and feel free to send me a pm anytime you want to talk cards or baseball.

Members online

Latest posts