Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Quad eBay Bucks + Lack of Self Control = BIG start to my vintage collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I had been looking for an excuse to jump into vintage for a while, moving at least a part of my collecting focus from prospects/prospecting to something I can enjoy and not have to worry about real world player performance so much. Of course I've had bits and pieces of a vintage collection, but not really a collection as it were. The recent eBay sales have given me a reason to pull the trigger and commit. So now the question, What to Collect?

Some considerations:
1. There's so much out there I wasn't sure where to start
2. I'm a huge Yankee fan, so the expense would likely be more, but...
3. There's a lot of directions to take, such as Player or Team or Set focus

I decided to jump in with something Mantle. Iconic, plenty of options for starting points, definitely will hold value, would be great to show friends and family. So now the questions:
1. What year/brand?
2. Slabbed/raw?
3. If slabbed, grade threshold?

'52 Topps would sure be swell, but no. I elected to go with something understated yet altogether awesome in it's understated-ness, 1953 Bowman. I chose PSA 6/SGC 80 as the floor for my Mantle collecting, and I ended up with this:
53BMantleA.jpg

Loved the color, the design is elegant and simple, and the photography is non-standard stuff making it interesting.

Well, I decided that I can't just go Mantle and I liked the '53 Bowman set so much (lots of great photos and unusual shots) that I wanted another. Musial has been another player I liked and they're slightly easier to come across in reasonable price ranges. So I added this:
53BMusialA.jpg

Just a great pic of Stan the Man.

So now I'm on a journey. I'm going to attack the '53 Bowman set in PSA 6 or better condition. A couple more are on route now (thanks eBay for the 10% sale today, burning a massive hole in my wallet!), and since I knocked off the biggest one in the set I think it'll be a fun project. Going graded since it's more reliable for a novice like myself.

Well I wasn't done. Mantle and Musial were going to be another focus I decided, so I grabbed a couple more:
61TMusialA.jpg
63TMantleA.jpg

That '63 Mantle is courtesy of our own jcmint. Thanks man.

So you can see, I've got my work cut out for me, but this should be fun. Some other targets that look fun:
'52 Bowman
'57 Topps
Allie Reynolds

Basically, a smallish set like the 160 card '53 Bowman Color issue is ideal. Whatcha think?

383astro

Jan 13, 2009
Oklahoma
zzzzzzzzzzzzz....

JK good stuff. My favorite cards are 49 Leaf for the Musial and 56 Topps for mantle. 53 B Pee Wee Reese would go good with those. One of the most beautiful cards ever made.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
WOW damn good start for sure!! Awesome choice going with 53' Bowman to start out, one of my favorite sets. I'm a sucker of vintage cards with just pictures on the front (53' Bowman, 50' Bowman, 39' Play Ball, etc...) Love the photos and the colors on those two, the Musial looks like it's in HD. I think you should go after the 53' Bowman Color and Black & White set, that would look awesome together:

wilberbowmanbw.jpg

All in all great start and I'll be looking forward to seeing more pickups from ya! Best of luck :)

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Graded vintage is a powerful drug.

Love the choice to purchase '53 Bowman, one of the most beautiful sets of all-time.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Thanks for the words everyone.
WOW damn good start for sure!! Awesome choice going with 53' Bowman to start out, one of my favorite sets. I'm a sucker of vintage cards with just pictures on the front (53' Bowman, 50' Bowman, 39' Play Ball, etc...) Love the photos and the colors on those two, the Musial looks like it's in HD. I think you should go after the 53' Bowman Color and Black & White set, that would look awesome together:

wilberbowmanbw.jpg

All in all great start and I'll be looking forward to seeing more pickups from ya! Best of luck :)

I do think I'll work in the B&W stuff as well as I go. I'm not really sure of the strategy to take with this stuff right now in terms of purchase order. Do people target specific cards first at this early stage or do you watch auctions (not BIN/BO) to get best prices first?

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Great start to a vintage collection! If you're going to try to do a set, go with the cards at the best prices, first. Take the good deal when it comes along has been my motto. Have fun with it and keep showing them off.
DANNY

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Great start to a vintage collection! If you're going to try to do a set, go with the cards at the best prices, first. Take the good deal when it comes along has been my motto. Have fun with it and keep showing them off.
DANNY

Yeah, I think that's the best bet and it has me thinking auctions like I said. One thing I'm considering is raw that look nice from reputable sellers and then slabbing. Worth it?

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Yeah, I think that's the best bet and it has me thinking auctions like I said. One thing I'm considering is raw that look nice from reputable sellers and then slabbing. Worth it?

I think so. Other than high dollar cards that might have issues, I like non-graded better anyway. Again, do what makes you happiest as a collector. I think you'll have fun with it.
DANNY

DaveH

Apr 28, 2009
beautiful stuff. i've nearly taken the vintage plunge several times throughout the years, worries me every time, ha

jeremy2

Jan 7, 2013
vintage is fun so long as you dont bite off more than you can, i woiuld start with one or two projects bro

Members online