Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Help, Bought a PSA 10 that may not be a 10... should I just return it? (Ripken Topps RC)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
So help me out here guys as I haven't experienced this one before.

This is what I purchased, a PSA 10 Ripken Topps rookie "Future Stars"

http://item.ebay.com/221416002604

Two questions:

1) Is it possible for a PSA card to "rattle around" a bit in the slab? I've noticed this before on some commons, but on a more expensive card, I'm a bit concerned.

2) More importantly, look above the bottom left Green Topps logo, below Bob Bonner. There's a gray circular stain, very obvious in hand, but visible in the scan if you're looking for it. I can live with a little OC on the back of the card (I've seen some PSA10s like that), but a stain on the front? This has got to be overgraded, right?

I was really excited with the end price but it looks like I should probably return it?

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
The case looks fine to me. If it had been cracked open and replaced with a lesser grade card, the boarder of the case would have a lot of whiting, especially in the corner between the flip and the card. The cert # also matches up on PSA's website.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
If it has a stain def return the card. It could be a bad oversight by PSA which certainly wouldnt be the first time. Bottom line is if your not happy with your purchase return it and move on.

Jun 30, 2010
The way Ebay is set up, obviously a buyer can return a card for ANY reason and get his money back, so, if unhappy, return the card. I assume you are justified in your reasoning. That being said, I will play devils advocate since I have experienced the customer who has purchased ungraded cards from me, only to be returned after they inspected and determined that they didn't think they could get a PSA 10 grade... This does set a bad potential precident because it basically says this: I don't like your PSA10 and want my money back... I am sure this is not your case though... Just a thought however since I have bought a few PSA10 cards and then resold them without even closely inspecting them. Seller lists PSA10; buyer thinks he is more educated than PSA/BGS and returns because HE doesn't like card. More thoughts and input welcomed. Bryan

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Yes, I have a card in a PSA slab, and it does move around (albeit only a small amount) when I pick up the slab.That is one of the reason I do not grade with PSA unless I am planning on moving it.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I think the seller did everything in their power to have a legit auction, correct? That said, you purchased it and clearly saw what you were buying, not sure I exactly understand the "return" here, maybe it's just me. I mean if it were a raw card but god damn, you purchased a PSA graded slabbed card and unless you think there is foul play here with a fake slabbed card, not sure I understand how you can return it.

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
I think the seller did everything in their power to have a legit auction, correct? That said, you purchased it and clearly saw what you were buying, not sure I exactly understand the "return" here, maybe it's just me. I mean if it were a raw card but god damn, you purchased a PSA graded slabbed card and unless you think there is foul play here with a fake slabbed card, not sure I understand how you can return it.

Because I want a Gem Mint PSA 10 Ripken Topps rookie for my collection. I'm not buying the grade, I'm buying the card. I want a copy that I will never need to upgrade ever again. I place trust in the PSA 10 grade, because I assume the expert opinion will line up with mine too.

What arrived has a clear as day stain on the front (and maybe even some slight corner dings, but that's nitpicking). That is not Gem Mint, and I'm not going to believe an arbitrary grade over my own eyes.

As some alluded to, I could probably resell this as a PSA 10 down the road and no one would care. But I don't intend to resell, I bought it for keeps, and I feel that it is not worthy of being my collection. It's a shame too, because I was very happy with the price paid, they usually go around $450.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
You bought a PSA10 Ripken, which is what you got. Seller had a very large clear scan. You received exactly what was described and pictured. You own it in my opinion. If I was the seller and you asked for a return on that item I would be pissed.

If you want the perfect PSA10 you should have more closely examined the pictures or asked for more.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
My $0.02: the stain in question, while visible in the auction's provided picture, isn't so glaringly obvious that the OP would necessarily have known what he was getting. Perhaps a better picture/scan can be provided so we can see the difference. If it's that noticeable, I say send it back.

2rp8lqx.png

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Seems to me that with PSA you buy the grade and case, not the card.

Because the seller has a 14 day return policy?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The stain shows up but I don't see corner dings and the way the case is shaped, I doubt the corner dings could happen in the case. Edges might get roughed up. But not corners.

I say return it if you're not happy but you'll be back to square one. And your square one sucks because you are trying to buy a PSA graded card when it's obvious their opinion, at times, doesn't even match your own. In that case, why want one at all? Every card is not equal when it comes to grading so that right there tells you how much stock to put into grading.

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
You bought a PSA10 Ripken, which is what you got. Seller had a very large clear scan. You received exactly what was described and pictured. You own it in my opinion. If I was the seller and you asked for a return on that item I would be pissed.

If you want the perfect PSA10 you should have more closely examined the pictures or asked for more.

I don't want "the perfect" PSA10, I just want a PSA10 that is actually worthy of the grade. I own about 50 PSA 10 Ripkens and this is the first card I've ran into problems with. If it were a $10 card I wouldn't care. $400 card, well, I expect a PSA 10 worthy specimen.

Like I said, some PSA 10s have better rear centering than others, and I'm willing to accept something that may be 65/45 or even 70/30 (even though it isn't supposed to be). But a stain on the front? I shouldn't have to take a magnifying glass to the scans and demand more pictures. A PSA10 should be a PSA10, end of story.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Return it if you're not satisfied. It's your right and I would too, even though the seller did nothing wrong.

Anyway, I think grading is a farce. These "professional" graders spend a few seconds on each card because that's all they have time for with the thousands of cards they receive every day.

Collectors spend ten times the value of an otherwise mint card when these graders sometimes can't tell the difference of a fascimile autograph and a hand-written one, or if a card has been trimmed or not, or if it has a smudge like the Ripken, because they just glance at the cards.
It's just a non-stop assembly line of thousands of cards parading past them non-stop all day.

Last edited:

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Yes, I have a card in a PSA slab, and it does move around (albeit only a small amount) when I pick up the slab.That is one of the reason I do not grade with PSA unless I am planning on moving it.

PSA will use a Mylar sleeve inside the slab like BGS if you request it...it eliminates the rattle.

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
This is my two cents...return that over produced thing and get a nice WTF Ripken.

Good tastes, already have one though.

DSC01777_zps7e41c385.jpg

I just wanted to do the PSA 10 Ripken Topps basic set as well. As far as the whole graded / ungraded card debate, I'm not a Ripken super collector. I only collect PSA 10 base cards and certain 90s parallels / inserts, stuff like that. The base cards are very nostalgic for me as those are the cards I remember as a kid, and PSA 10 makes them a bit more "limited" even though these things were mass produced like no one's business. This is just the route that I collect.

championMan

Apr 16, 2009
I think U already make up your mind regardless what we say. The seller did nothing wrong the case is completely clean & the card was sold as graded by PSA. Just because U don't agree with the grade is not the seller fault. I brought few high dollar PSA 10 with surface scatch inside the card & I didn't return it cause I didn't want to offend any sellers or possible put on their block list. U can get full money back but the seller lost on ebay/paypal & shipping fees. How do U feel if U were the seller? If U going to return it I would talk to seller & perhap only ask for partial refund so to cover all the fees he/she lost in this auctions.

Members online

No members online now.