Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jose Abreu

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
Chicago White Sox first baseman Jose Abreu has been named American League Player and Rookie of the Month for April, becoming the first AL player ever to receive both honors in his first month in the major leagues.

Abreu, 27, hit .270 (31-115) with eight doubles, one triple, 10 home runs, 32 RBI, 20 runs scored and nine walks over 29 games in March/April. He led the major leagues in home runs, RBI, total bases (32) and extra-base hits (19), ranked fifth in slugging percentage (.617), tied for 7th in multihit games (11) and tied for 10th in runs scored (20).

Abreu set major-league rookie records in home runs, RBI, extra-base hits and total bases through April. His 32 RBI tied Joe DiMaggio (1936), Ted Williams (1939) and Albert Pujols (2001) for the third-highest RBI total in major-league history by a player in his first 29 career games. The 10 home runs tied Zeke Bonura (1934) for the franchise record in his first 29 contests.

He becomes the second player in major-league history to be named Player of the Month in his first month in the major leagues, joining former Cuban League teammate Yasiel Puig, who won National League honors with the Dodgers in June 2013. Abreu also is the eighth player since 2001 (when the Rookie of the Month award was established) to win Player/Pitcher and Rookie honors in the same calendar month.

Abreu's other notable achievements included becoming the first player in history with four, four-plus RBI games in his first 29 career games, the first rookie since Kent Hrbek in 1982 to lead the majors in both home runs and RBI through April and the first White Sox player since Roy Sievers (1960) to lead the majors in those categories­ in any month. He also was named the AL co-Player of the Week for April 21-27.

The 6-foot-3, 255-pound Abreu recorded three multihomer efforts, four games with four-plus RBI and a .375 average (12-32) with four homers and 24 RBI with RISP. He hit a game-ending grand slam as part of his third multihomer game on 4/25 vs. Tampa Bay. The walkoff slam was the first by a White Sox player since Robin Ventura on July 31, 1991 vs. Texas and the second by a rookie in April in baseball history (Elias).

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
He just hit HR number 13. He is a absolute beast

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
Fresh off the DL yesterday hit a 2 run HR
And now today hit a 2 run HR.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online