Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Collector's Corner Showcase, Volume 11: Yanks2151

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Thanks again for our resident Paul O'Neil collector, Kevin, for this weeks interview !

1) When did you start collecting __Baseball Cards_____ and why do you collect__Yankees____ ?

I remember opening my first in 1978. My neighborhood was split down the middle. In Connecticut you were either a Yankees fan or Red Sox fan with a few Mets fans sprinkled in. I’m not sure how I went to the Yankees side but I have been on board with them ever since collecting Vintage, Serial Numbered, Autos and just about everything Yankees.

2) What was the turning point in your collecting ____ ? What put you over the edge and made you completely focus on ______ ?

I kept all my cards from my childhood that I could until 1990 when I left for the U.S. Navy. These Navy years were really my only absence from the hobby from1978 to now. After coming home I was unemployed and in the hiring process to join the CT Dept of Corrections. During these 5 months my only income was selling my non Yankees cards at shows in my area

3) What has been the high point in collecting ______ ? The low point?

I think the high point (some will argue) was the internet and eBay. This invention brought just about any card right to your mailbox. I was hooked. Another high point is my favorite team was winning year after year peeking interest more and more towards cards. Another high point would be 2 of my biggest O’Neill rivals chose to leave the hobby and chose me as their buyer. One deal is still active due to the large purchases.

My low point now being a Player Collector of Paul O’Neill and him being in every product has turned me off a bit of chasing all I can. I started being selective with the after playing years cards.

4) What deal did you have slip through the cracks, that you regret ? Why didn't it work out ?

I can’t really say too many deals slip through my fingers. I did miss out on a few auctions of my players but once I came to the realization I would never own all of them I was able to move on.

5) What's your favorite piece / card in your collection ? Why ?

I can’t pinpoint one exact card. I am happy with it as a whole. One of my newest additions I am happy to add is:

1979WallingDiamondGreatsAutoRogerMaris.jpg

I’m working on the complete 25 card set of these autographed and this is the toughest in the set. I collect anything Yankees.

Here is a sample of all my perfect game and no hitter stubs '56-now:

image-119.jpg

6) What's your wife / significant other / family think of your obsession (or collecting) for ______ ?

My wife has been very supportive over the year. Its only recently when the one room she gave me for everything started pouring into other rooms. Years ago she went to all the shows with me. My 14 year old daughter now comes with me. She does not collect but enjoys going with me, at least I think so but it maybe the trip to the mall afterwards.

7) What's your white whale or just a card you can't seemingly track down or acquire ?

I would someday like to add a 1999 Fleer Tradition Starting 9 Paul O’Neill.I love this set but never came across one. Just this year I was able to add the Bernie Williams.

image-101.jpg

8) Have you met the player you collect and what was the experience like ? (Forset collectors, it'd be asking about meeting other set collectors of said set and having discussions with them).

Up to this point I have never met O’Neill, Bernie Williams or Don Mattingly. I had a suite at the Stadium a few years back and saw O'Neill and waved. He waved back but that’s it.

9) What is your biggest pet peeve about collecting ______ ?

Another facet of my collection is collecting serial numbered cards to the player’s jersey numbers as well as first and last runs. Sellers who don’t add the serial number in their auctions descriptions or pictures drive me crazy.

10) How have forums / eBay / COMC helped your collecting of _____ ? How have they hurt ?

I already touched a little on eBay but my collection would ever be what itis without it. I really like COMC and the way everything is scanned. I just started selling there as well. FCB has been the best for card talk. Sometimes you need to turn to people that collect what you do and understand the hobby. Sometimes wives, co-workers and friends don’t understand refractors, superfractors, on card autos or wax stains.

11) How much competition do you face in your collecting of _____ ? How often do you check forums / auction sites for your player?

As I said earlier my two biggest rivals left the hobby as far as player collector. By collecting just about anything Yankees can add extra competition. I do daily searches and now with smart phones maybe even more than I think I do.

12) Any thoughts of ever giving up the collection?

I have entertained the thought a few times but heard of all the regrets by people in the past. This hobby is only one of mine so I have learned to space it out, time money, room etc. With hunting, fishing and my muscle cars, I have no choice to spread the time and finances smartly.

13) How has the generosity of FCB'ers or other forum / site members helped your collection? Elaborate.

The information I learn from some members of FCB is outstanding. So many times my questions get answered and suggestions I get from members I put to use. I too try and help out others as I go. Sometimes I get more excited finding things for other player collectors than my own players. I can do without the trollers and negative posters. 20 years in the prison system I had my share of slick comments and trouble makers. Just keep it positive people.

Bernie1999Flaireow3omeofome.jpg

Bernie1998Fkairrow151oneofome.jpg

Bernie1998SportsIllustrated125oneofone.jpg

1999FlairShowcaseLegacyMasterpieceRow2130.jpg

bern1.jpg

po220001.jpg

Po110001.jpg

po330001.jpg

sterling1.jpg

Certoneill3.jpg

1999UltimateVictoryParallel1of175S1.jpg

2005FinestRefractorsWhiteFramed165RETS1.jpg

2004DonrussTimelinesRecollectionAutographs1045881.jpg

2003ToppsTributePaulOneillBernieWilliams.jpg

2010BowmanChromeBryanMitchellSuperfractorBCP118.jpg

1960Topps65ElstonHowardPSAAuto.jpg

perfecttix0001.jpg

Thanks Dave for this opportunity. I wish I was better organized with my collection. I complement you all who have your collections neatly organized. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice, leads and knowledge. I’m looking forward to doing the same in return.

Always looking for:

Paul O’Neill (any)
Bernie Williams
Tino Martinez (Yanks)
Don Mattingly
Brien Taylor
Vintage

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Finally a non- Brewer!! That was getting pathetic! ;)
Amazing collection! Never realized you collected the ticket stubs! Those look great protected.
Thanks again all around! These are such great reads!!

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Great collection, Kevin!

I much enjoyed watching O'Neil play for my Reds and later the Yankees. I did have an unfortunate experience the one time I met him in person when he wouldn't give me (a 14 or 15 year old kid at the time) an autograph while he sat in gridlock trying to leave the player's garage. I was one of 3 people in the area and he kept saying that it was a school night for his kids and didn't have time... only it was a Saturday night, he was alone in the car and he could have signed each of our baseballs five times over during his explanation. But he was polite the whole time! :)

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Thanks everyone. I wish I was better with the organization of my collection. I have so much more I would have liked to have shared. It is a slow process but someday I will get there.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Great stuff. Love reading about the different collections.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts