Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Caught these d-bags searching packs at Target today....(pictures included)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
So, it's wrong to pack search, and it's wrong to go out of your way to not appear like you're being a scumbag and searching packs. Makes perfect sense.

If rather just stand there and look, than to pillage through a bunch of **** I have no intention on buying anyway. I normally don't touch things if I don't have intentions of purchasing it.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I do not agree with pack searching.

However, I also don't get really worked up about it or even think about it much.

I guess it's just the integrity of the whole thing. It's not much more of a stretch to go from pack searching to being a deceptive, sleazy person in general.

And let's face it, integrity isn't a main staple of this hobby.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
I suppose one could argue that they're damaging product and making it unsellable. How would a grocery store deal with somebody going to the cookie section and squeezing all the bags, breaking the product inside?

- Rodrick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQDQZuIiTE

And let's face it, integrity isn't a main staple of this hobby.
And I agree Sam.

As for it being illegal, it is not unless they actaully steal something. The lady that puts out all the stuff at my target and wal-mart says there is 2 guys that she sees everyday she is in there putting out the stuff, and they go thru it as soon as it is put on the shelf. Sometimes they even ask her if she has more in the back of the store.

Dirt bags yes. But most store will not stop someone from doing this at all.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
I stopped buying retail packs when almost every pack I bought contained cards that were visibly scuffed and scratched, apparently damaged when the searcher was pushing cards around inside the pack.

The lemon analogy doesn't work, because as you're picking the best lemon, you're not damaging the other lemons.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I'm not going to lie - if there are rack packs where you can see the front and/or back cards, I'll go through the whole row to see which one has a player I collect. I'll throw it in my cart, put the rest back on the hook, kick any little kids standing by right in the face, and go about my shopping.

Pack searching is like rigging a lottery/raffle/etc. The card companies of course have loopholes so that their packs aren't legally considered gambling, but that's exactly what it is.

Posted using Tapatalk...which probably means I'm on the crapper.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I'm not going to lie - if there are rack packs where you can see the front and/or back cards, I'll go through the whole row to see which one has a player I collect. I'll throw it in my cart, put the rest back on the hook, kick any little kids standing by right in the face, and go about my shopping.

Posted using Tapatalk...which probably means I'm on the crapper.

I'll kick a kid in the face even if baseball cards aren't involved.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
These guys I caught yesterday were what my wife- an outsider of the hobby- pictures the hobby as. Geeks who don't get chicks and run to stores at 7:00 AM or camp out before they open to make a couple bucks. I'm telling you- these guys were the nerdiest nerds of all time and the other dude- in the words of TED were either his kid, lover or something like that. It was weird how they would stand there and not let the kid in. I wanted to take an up close shot and kick them in the nuts at the same time. It would have been epic but I have a reputation, a great job and don't want the cops to catch the wrong guy in the situation.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Part of me feels like pack searching is cheating, but the other half feels that if Target/Walmart/etc cared about it, they'd make cards less accessible.

If companies cared about it, they'd make it harder to do since obviously the snowmen aren't getting it done.

Not to mention, most of retail hits are complete garbage (obviously, not everything, though, as I've had a few solid hits from retail out of 20 years collecting) so in my eyes the searchers are wasting time by trying to get a jersey card that will net them a whole three bucks.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I remember in 1988 when Score came out, I'd search through the see-through cellophane packs for my favorite players.
I also looked through all the Topps and Donruss rack packs. Just the top and back cards.
And everybody cherry picked the hot '92 Fleer All-Star inserts that were on the front of rack packs.

Collectors also used to know the sequence of Topps cards (cards were always packaged in the same order.
I even have some old Baseball Hobby News and Baseball Cards Magazine issues that have articles listing the sequences of the big stars so you could pack search at the drug store.

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
Cards that are visible are different since you can see what's there without any damage. I used to look for Twins glossy All Stars in Topps racks years ago. I like how companies are doing more blasters and hanging boxes.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
So, it's wrong to pack search, and it's wrong to go out of your way to not appear like you're being a scumbag and searching packs. Makes perfect sense.
You shouldn't have to act like you're not a pack searcher. When I fill up my car with gas, I don't purposely act like I'm not going to steal the gas or when I'm shopping for clothes at the mall, I don't purposely act like I'm not going to run off with anything that I'm looking at or trying on. Just act normal, leave the other noise for the d-bag pack searchers. As an honest person and collector, you should be allowed to literally touch items in the aisle without buying haha

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN

If rather just stand there and look, than to pillage through a bunch of **** I have no intention on buying anyway. I normally don't touch things if I don't have intentions of purchasing it.

Haha, just live your life, my friend. Nobody will think your a pack searcher by looking through the packs a little.

You mean you don't try on clothes before you buy them?

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
This topic always strikes me as interesting to be honest. Also, just to be clear, I think it's stupid to pack search and for grown a$$ men to be doing it at a Target or Walmart is just stupid and childish and idiotic to be honest. I just don't get it.

That all said, why does this get us so upset? Is it because we picture a young kid getting robbed of the hit? Is it because we don't like that someone can stack the deck and get hits when we continue to get burned time and time again by Topps when buying product in a legit way? Is it because we feel like they're stealing from the store? Or is it just a moral thing?

I wonder why I and others get so mad at this. I guess seeing pictures just adds more to it lol

I get mad because they feel up the packs and often times damage corners on cards - and they almost always scratch the outside cards - I'd rather have clean mint cards rather than mangled pack fresh cards.

I just rarely buy anything other than blasters because of it.

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
The only way they'll ever stop this is to either stop selling cards altogether, or to put the cards behind a counter. And do you really think retail stores give a **** about packs of baseball cards that a vendor stocks? No. They don't. And they're never going to put them behind the counter at huge stores like this. It'd just be a ridiculous inconvenience, and not worth their time. Because then we'd have these ******* collectors making a huge ordeal out of it, by asking for the third pack down on the left side, because 'that's the one they always choose'.

Just don't buy baseball cards at a retail store. Problem solved.

They went to a system where everything was packed in a blister pack at a Target near me a few years back - it was a test and I guess it wasn't wortht he effort and expense. But it was nice to have undamaged unsearched cards to buy.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
I was standing next to them just watching them and they were huddled with greed. Some kid with his mom were trying to look and they were blocking him. I said to let the kid look and they asked if it was my kid and if not why do I care.....I simply called him and his nerd son, friend or lover (I couldn't tell) dirtbags looking for a .50 jersey card. Then took my pictures (flash off and phone on sound vibrate. The guy looks like he was humping the heritage packs. And notice the packs at the register and they hurried getting out of there....lol

This is what it reminded me of LOL!

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I'll fix it for you at no cost...

It's "Paul Heyman's client BAAAARRRRRROCK LESNAR....."

Members online

Latest posts