Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Action Comic #1 (First app. of Superman): Have You seen this auction??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
http://www.ebay.com/itm/311050328393

$1.7 million with 7 days left. Not a comic collector, but this is really, really cool to me.
superman_zps0de32883.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkj2r5ByM00#t=227

Last edited:

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
The owner is a local guy here (Federal Way) so maybe it seems like bigger news than it is, but I am absolutely enthralled. As a collector, there are parallels, and to me this feels like a mint Honus Wagner type collectible...

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
I'm not big into comics, but I have been hitting the antique mall with my five year old son, and we almost always leave with a comic book. He is really into batman, Spider-Man etc right now. They are actually pretty cool, and I dig the older ones. That one in the OP is crazy. Amazing something that old survived and is in thatgreat of shape. As mentioned that is the mint Wagner of the comic book world.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
I understand the need for comic book grading & agree it's an important part of the secondary collectibles market. But you gotta admit, it's very goofy to seal a book so that you can never read it again. Imagine if PSA graded booklets & sealed them unopened. Just a funny thought, not complaining.

I love the story in the video the guy tells of the buyer who found this AC#1 at the bottom of a pile, that is the eureka moment all us collectors dream of.

Great marketing they've done of this auction, corporate sponsors, eBay special promos...professional all around.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The difference between comics and cards is I've held a copy of this comic on my hands. At a local show no less. I've never even seen a Wagner in person. Comics, IMO are way more accessible. The industry and collectors are way different than for cards. And you don't have to be super rich to own some of the most important or key issues(of course the one in the op doesn't apply). The only thing I don't like about comics is they take up too much space. Otherwise, I'd never have gotten rid of mine.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
I understand the need for comic book grading & agree it's an important part of the secondary collectibles market. But you gotta admit, it's very goofy to seal a book so that you can never read it again. Imagine if PSA graded booklets & sealed them unopened. Just a funny thought, not complaining.

I have a hard time understand the allure of graded comics, I guess you buy a second one to read it?

I also find it funny that they are now called "books". Anything that gets a kid to read is valuable, but come on.

heartyourlife

Jul 29, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I have a hard time understand the allure of graded comics, I guess you buy a second one to read it?

I also find it funny that they are now called "books". Anything that gets a kid to read is valuable, but come on.

You can find pretty much any key graded issue in a dozen different formats so you can read the story. Given that a comic book has so many more pieces to it, the sooner a book like this gets encapsulated the better. It's like having 4 corners on 22 different pages that can get creased that can affect condition vs only 4 total on a card. The concept is no different than grading a card. Some people prefer to know what they are purchasing condition wise instead of having to rely on differing opinions.

Pretty sure they have always been called comic books too...

heartyourlife

Jul 29, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Also, technically the title thread is wrong. It should read Action Comics #1 (1st appearance of Superman) as there is a Superman #1 from that era which is a different title all together...

Sorry I'm a comic book dork. Just don't want people to get confused :)

DiebytheCubs

Dec 2, 2012
Chicago suburbs/Ohio
I've always thought comics are pretty cool but I can definitely see the reasoning behind sealing it. If you've ever read any real old, or even just kind of old comic, they can fall apart or tear simply by turning the page. If I was buying something worth this much, I wouldn't want to risk that.

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
The difference between comics and cards is I've held a copy of this comic on my hands. At a local show no less. I've never even seen a Wagner in person. Comics, IMO are way more accessible. The industry and collectors are way different than for cards. And you don't have to be super rich to own some of the most important or key issues(of course the one in the op doesn't apply). The only thing I don't like about comics is they take up too much space. Otherwise, I'd never have gotten rid of mine.

Man, totally. I grew up with comic characters, but have never really collected comics. But when the new 52 was launched I got my first comic subscription and have every one of the "Batman" and "All Star Westerns (Hex)" from #1 . Its so easy--and cheap. No bidding wars, no having to go down to the park and hassle with other collectors, or going to Walmart and Target hoping to get lucky. They just show up in the mail. Done. Granted, if you are trying to collect variant covers you may run into some classic collecting issues, but I don't worry about those.

Space is really an issue though. Comics take up a lot of it.

mrniceguy1126

Oct 6, 2008
NEPA

This. Comics are awesome, but this is why I got rid of mine too. Then I discovered the Marvel DVD collections. Every issue of a series (600+) for one price. Now, I just pick up vintage books here & there and keep them stored away AND I can read the great stories from the Lee/Kirby era.

Also, is anyone into .cbr comics? They're similar to the Marvel DVDs (but those are pdf files).

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Man, totally. I grew up with comic characters, but have never really collected comics. But when the new 52 was launched I got my first comic subscription and have every one of the "Batman" and "All Star Westerns (Hex)" from #1 . Its so easy--and cheap. No bidding wars, no having to go down to the park and hassle with other collectors, or going to Walmart and Target hoping to get lucky. They just show up in the mail. Done. Granted, if you are trying to collect variant covers you may run into some classic collecting issues, but I don't worry about those.

Where I purchased my comics they would always save me a variant cover if I asked for it. Now granted I'd have to pay the asking price, but they never marked anything up above what it should cost. And they were always super reasonable on everything in their store(Bedrock Comics). If something was VF or VG, you'd pay VF or VG prices for it. I go into a card shop and they want full book because that's what beckett says its worth. I know it ticks people off but that's always why I'll ask how low or how good a deal people can do on something because a lot of times, they are already asking too much. It wasn't that way with comics. You knew what you were getting when you bought it and didn't have to play games.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
This. Comics are awesome, but this is why I got rid of mine too. Then I discovered the Marvel DVD collections. Every issue of a series (600+) for one price. Now, I just pick up vintage books here & there and keep them stored away AND I can read the great stories from the Lee/Kirby era.

Also, is anyone into .cbr comics? They're similar to the Marvel DVDs (but those are pdf files).

I've got some plans on going after strictly key issues or first appearances. Plus getting some Punisher complete runs. I love me some Punisher!

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
"Oh, hey, my kid was messing around with the keyboard and he accidentally registered as a legitimate bidder and then accidentally bid on this. Hope you understand! Please cancel my bid"