Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Keith Olbermann rant about Derek Jeter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Again, who cares?
No athlete, or human, is a 100% saint. And no one is claiming Jeter is.
He's being honored for being the face of baseball, the sport's most recognizable player and a champion.

Why, whenever a famous person is honored, do naysayers always have to bring up the negatives?

Sure, the Jeter lovefest (and Rivera tour) has been overdone, but just put up with it for another few days and just be glad the Yankees aren't in the postseason.

You said he put his team first...I was just giving examples to the contrary.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Most who are disparraging Jeter right now are the epitome of "hater". Dude had a great HOF career. 'Let me proclaim all the negatives about him, derp derp derp!"

Or they have an opinion that's based on things they value.

Lets stifle conversation on a baseball card message board by calling everyone with a different opinion a hater.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
There is no reason to freak out about Jeter now. He had a good-to-great career and came up big on the biggest stages. Good for him.

Now, where I could see (and get behind) outrage will be with his HOF vote totals. People tend to make bigger deals out of that stat than it's worth, but if Jeter gets a higher percentage than, say, Ted Williams (93.38%), Roberto Clemente (92.69%), or Mantle/DiMaggio (~88%), then the haters will be justified in claiming it's about "fame" and not actual baseball talent.

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
You said he put his team first...I was just giving examples to the contrary.

I hope they get more team first guys like Jeter. If they can continue to name captains that win one title in every 12 years of being captain - I will be very happy. As to the claim he is some sort of special winner with his rings, he won 5 in 19 years. The Yankees have 27 since 1923 - 92 seasons - at that rate he should have 5.5 - so for a Yankee he is actually below average,

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
99% of players never get a ring, this guy gets 5... and someone has the nerve to spin it negatively. lol I love it. You Jetet haters are a **** show.

What percentage of Yankee players never get a ring?

If you look at an All Time Rings/Player list (ex. Berra-10)....

Only 1 player in the Top 40 never played for the Yankees. ONE...Eddie Collins.

The numerical odds state that if you play for a historically great franchise you will likely fall into a couple championships. It's not a Yankee phenomenon. It's a sports phenomenon.

NBA Championships have been controlled (5 or more titles) by four teams! The Bulls, Spurs, Celtics, and Lakers account for 44 titles. The rest of the league, 24.

Jeter is without a doubt a great first ballot HOFer but the mythology that goes along with his career is just too much. He was very fortunate to be drafted by the Yankees, and not the Royals. He was given a single digit number (practically announcing his Mt. Olympus status). He played on some of the greatest teams in history.

I don't discount what he's done, I'm simply taking the worshiping out of my analysis.

WillBBC

Feb 22, 2012
If you're going to split hairs about ring percentage you also have to remember that Major League Baseball was much smaller than 30 teams for decades.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
If you're going to split hairs about ring percentage you also have to remember that Major League Baseball was much smaller than 30 teams for decades.

...and was still tougher to get a ring.

For 60 years MLB had 16 teams...4 of which made the postseason.
25% chance.

Today 30 teams are in the league and 10 go to the postseason.
30% chance.

Before the extra wildcard that was just added?
26.666667%

ccouch (Chad)

Aug 8, 2008
Why can't people just enjoy the great players instead of feeling the continous need to knock them down a peg or two?

I'm not a Yankees fan. But I'm a baseball fan. And Jeter played a major role on a team that won five World Series titles and contended for several more in the biggest nutbag media market in the sport. And he did so while being a great representative of the game and a great role model. Would his career be different had he been drafted by the Astros instead? Yep, probably so. But he wasn't drafted by the Astros. He was drafted by the Yankees. And because of that, he's LOVED by a ton of people. To many of those folks, there's nobody better than Jeter. So be it. Regardless, he's a HOF'er and should go down as one of the shining stars of the era.

Why can't we just enjoy the good players, people?

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Why can't people just enjoy the great players instead of feeling the continous need to knock them down a peg or two?

I'm not a Yankees fan. But I'm a baseball fan. And Jeter played a major role on a team that won five World Series titles and contended for several more in the biggest nutbag media market in the sport. And he did so while being a great representative of the game and a great role model. Would his career be different had he been drafted by the Astros instead? Yep, probably so. But he wasn't drafted by the Astros. He was drafted by the Yankees. And because of that, he's LOVED by a ton of people. To many of those folks, there's nobody better than Jeter. So be it. Regardless, he's a HOF'er and should go down as one of the shining stars of the era.

Why can't we just enjoy the good players, people?

Well said.

Frankly, I'm getting annoyed at myself.

NY Tony

Mar 29, 2013
He's the greatest Yankee SS ever
Has the most hits as a Yankee, as well as a few other stats like SB's and what not

He's not the GOAT in baseball or Yankee players

But he's the most popular guy in baseball for years

Just like in school - people really like the most popular kid in school or really hate him bc he's the most popular kid in school

Plain and simple

Latest posts