Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 2014 Topps (High) Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
This stuff is coming out soon and I for one am very excited as a breaker. The previews I've seen look great, and I'm pumped because I foresee a product where almost every card, base and better, will be sellable. I don't think the old school Tek fans will be able to resist, and the player collectors either.

Ok, lol, discuss...

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
When's the street date? I'm assuming we don't have a checklist yet and I'm torn between saving up for this or for some nice all star relics from Topps Update since it looks good for Brewers.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Currently posted release date is Nov 5. I ordered a few extra cases of it to break and Bay, gonna make player lots of everything I get and get em on the bay fast. I see everything selling.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Agreed , but because it will be broken heavily it won't be the "hidden/lost" thing that 1998 Tek was, where people didn't go all out from the start. So the cards are going to be available and available quickly. I see two scenarios:

1. Prices for the singles stay high as people will pay whatever to get it completed fast

2. Prices won't hold on singles because the buyers will wait it out

Also I haven't seen the base CL yet , 90s guys IMO are going to like this more than the people who collect current players. So it depends on who is in the set to drive interest.

This set up is more like 99 Tek/00 Tek , which are collected , but don't have the same 1998 Tek feelings. It'll be interesting to see.

I hope you breakers do well, I'm just not sure how the market will approach this version

Ryan.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
I think if somebody commented in the 90's Topps Tek threads that the issue should have included "Disco Diffractors" they would get laughed out of here. However, apparently somebody at Topps thought it was a good idea. Maybe if Topps used different/new photos of the older players instead of recycling the same photos over and over and over they might draw more interest from the 90's player collectors like me...

I saw that boxes will be one 8 card pack. Boxes are in the $60+ range? Seems like it might tank if there is no Tanaka, DeGrom or Abreu. Looking at about $8 a card on the wholesale level. Who's gonna pay that for the likes of Sonny Gray and Jon Singleton?

Last edited:

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
It will be interesting to see how these look:

TEK BUYBACKS:
Buybacks of Diffractor parallels and inserts from the 1998-2000 Topps Tek series will be signed ON-CARD.

LOW TEK DIFFRACTOR:
Paying homage to the Tek heritage, up to 35 subjects will be featured on refractor foil technology. Sequentially #'d.
- Autograph Parallel: Featuring ON-CARD autographs of up to 10 subjects. Sequentially #'d to 15.
- See more at: http://www.dacardworld.com/sports-cards/2014-topps-high-tek-baseball-hobby-box#details

Jun 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
More Edgar autos to chase...he used to not have many certified sigs, but that has all changed in the past two years.
Now it seems every Topps products has him in it, with parallels.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK

Tentative autograph subjects list has been out there for awhile now. Base card checklist is what everyone really wants to know, and what the higher #d variations come out at. If there are 100 subjects, and 12 design variations (1200 base cards), and only 1 #/d parallel per pack(box), I can't see how they could be #d more than 25 or so max.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Unless I'm mistaken, of the previous releases '98 is the most "collected" or has the largest cult following and popularity goes down slightly for '99 and drops at 2000. On some level Topps has to have a fatter finger on the pulse of what collectors (ie customers) want. Should have been far more variations and far fewer parallels. Thumbs up their a$$e$. I'll wait for a checklist and live cards to see how far into the set building game I will or won't get but my excitement has waned

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Unless I'm mistaken, of the previous releases '98 is the most "collected" or has the largest cult following and popularity goes down slightly for '99 and drops at 2000. On some level Topps has to have a fatter finger on the pulse of what collectors (ie customers) want. Should have been far more variations and far fewer parallels. Thumbs up their a$$e$. I'll wait for a checklist and live cards to see how far into the set building game I will or won't get but my excitement has waned
Wow!!!! Well said Andy!!!!!!!

Members online

Latest posts