Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 2014 Topps (High) Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Looks like Belle is in the Base and also that one "hit" but it isn't a buyback or any sort of auto, which is great. Too bad they put him in the White Sox uni because those won't sell as well... which might be good for my wallet if I'm chasing like crazy.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Was hoping for at least Lucroy. Doesn't look like I'll be buying any. I don't need any more Segura, Yount, or Braun cards. Yount is great and all but I'm not about to start chasing his rainbows. Nobody wants Braun right now, and I've already expressed my opinion on Segura. When your team only gets 3 cards in a set, you gotta do better. We had 4 All-stars this year and NONE of them appear here. How am I supposed to get excited about this?

caster513

Jul 16, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
I don't bust a lot of wax, but I had to order 3 boxes. These cards look fantastic and the checklist is pretty solid. I could see the prices on the boxes rising.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
Ouch, yeah Black/White is awful.

This is what I say about every printing plate I see, yet people still pay $ for them.....

Another thing I've noticed looking at the back of one of the Griffey cards listed, is that there is nothing that denotes what pattern the card is. Now THAT will make for some confusing set chasing! "Do you have the RJ card that has the windows 95 looking background design?"

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Another thing I've noticed looking at the back of one of the Griffey cards listed, is that there is nothing that denotes what pattern the card is. Now THAT will make for some confusing set chasing! "Do you have the RJ card that has the windows 95 looking background design?"

Hearing this as well. Ouch. Thank god there aren't 90 or even 30 patterns to chase.

Has someone broken down what a "rainbow" (for lack of a better word) will consist of? In a clear list that is

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
My current plan as a player collector is to get the 12 base patterns, 1 each of the colored parallels, 1 each of the autographs & insert, then regroup. It's just going to be so hard to justify laying down the amount of money it will take to get all 96 or however many variations unless they get to a more than reasonable price. Paying $2 or $3 each for '98 Tek patterns is one thing, but chasing dozens of low #d inserts from a brand new set, ick that could be painful on the Paypal balance.

I've always held this attitude for autographs, since RJ autos can be a tad pricey for my budget, that if there are 3 different Museum Collection framed autos, I'm just getting 1 of them. Personally I can't justify paying $200+ each for 2 additional autographs because the ink & frame color are a tad different. Everyone here is probably different, and I'm sure it mainly depends on your budget & your player's card prices.

Who else has a plan for this set, going reasonable or going all the way?

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
My current plan as a player collector is to get the 12 base patterns, 1 each of the colored parallels, 1 each of the autographs & insert, then regroup. It's just going to be so hard to justify laying down the amount of money it will take to get all 96 or however many variations unless they get to a more than reasonable price. Paying $2 or $3 each for '98 Tek patterns is one thing, but chasing dozens of low #d inserts from a brand new set, ick that could be painful on the Paypal balance.

I've always held this attitude for autographs, since RJ autos can be a tad pricey for my budget, that if there are 3 different Museum Collection framed autos, I'm just getting 1 of them. Personally I can't justify paying $200+ each for 2 additional autographs because the ink & frame color are a tad different. Everyone here is probably different, and I'm sure it mainly depends on your budget & your player's card prices.

Who else has a plan for this set, going reasonable or going all the way?

Going reasonable here as well. Would like a Randy autograph (finally in a D-backs uniform in a 2014 product!), a Goldy autograph and a Goldy color parallel. Otherwise, I'm avoiding this.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
There's still some uncertainty on exactly how many cards there are to chase of each player. I don't think it's actually 96 and some are thinking closer to 20. If it were actually 96 then the production run would be astronomical for the number of cases produced

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
There's still some uncertainty on exactly how many cards there are to chase of each player. I don't think it's actually 96 and some are thinking closer to 20. If it were actually 96 then the production run would be astronomical for the number of cases produced

I'm hoping you're right, I made a post about the print run with unknown #/? parallels awhile back and 96 didn't seem feasible with parallel's only being 1 per box.

If you look on eBay at only the /99 gold parallel, there are only 2 different background patterns shown, wavy lines & what looks kinda like a James Bond gun barrel. This set is puzzling so far.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Yeah, looks like some of the 1/1s are just ugly as sin... like printing plates.

I think the autos kinda look out of place and "junk up" the otherwise attractive base and Diffractors. Of course a lot sure depends on the particular player's auto.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
All you who are busting, keep me in mind for any/all Belle cards I guess... he has the base cards, so I'll be on the hunt...

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
The cards look really nice from pictures but after doing all 8100 cards in 1998 Topps TEK not gonna touch 2014 Topps TEK with a ten foot pole. Well at least until I impulsively buy a box and get hooked again (LOL) .

This stuff is coming out soon and I for one am very excited as a breaker. The previews I've seen look great, and I'm pumped because I foresee a product where almost every card, base and better, will be sellable. I don't think the old school Tek fans will be able to resist, and the player collectors either.

Ok, lol, discuss...

Members online