Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Panini America Inks Exclusive Trading Card Deals with Three Major Universities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
[FONT=&quot]Panini America, the world’s largest sports and entertainment collectibles company, announced today that it has agreed to terms with the University of Georgia, the University of Kentucky and the University of Miami in agreements that will allow the company to use each university’s marks in its trading card products on an exclusive basis. Panini plans to announce partnerships with a number of other schools over the next several weeks.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In addition, the exclusive agreements will mark the first time since 2009 that Panini America will include college-branded cards within its NBA, NFL and MLBPA trading card products.
[/FONT]

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Although I enjoy college sports, I am quite ignorant to what's going on in the college (and/or) college sports world.

What's the irony? Lol

The front runner (former) for the Heisman was suspended by Georgia for signing autographs for money.

Kentucky and The U have both had major infractions for paying players.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Does anyone know some of the licensing details, like did Georgia, Kentucky and Miami pull out of the CLC to do their own exclusive license deal with Panini, meaning UD won't be able to make Georgia, Kentucky and Miami athlete cards via their CLC license?

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
So what does this mean for Upper Deck's NCAA license? Will they no longer be able to produce cards for these schools? I'm not seeing any knowledgeable speculation there, just people asking the question.

This bit from Upper Deck's blog is telling:

Imminent changes in 2015 have already sparked serious concerns from collectors, store owners, distributors and others in the trading card industry. Mismanagement of the collegiate trading card license could destroy the stability that this market has come to rely on, and flood the market with an excess of products that hold little or no value. Upper Deck is working hard to not let this happen, and is committed to delivering the most innovative, high quality collectible trading cards available in the market today, tomorrow and into the foreseeable future.

Which is basically Upper Deck saying anything other than an exclusive license to UD is mismanagement on the part of the licensing body.

Pity all this stuff just results in overpriced, high-end sets, and almost nothing at a base level. I would love an affordable (<$40) box of college baseball cards.

Last edited:

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
So what does this mean for Upper Deck's NCAA license?

That's still the big Q. I still have not been able to determine if Panini's contracts means the 200+ schools opted out of the CLC (and no UD cards for these schools) or if UD gets to keep making cards under CLC license and Panini gets to make licensed college cards using their deals with individual schools.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Well good for these schools. I've always felt that these universities were being deprived of revenue, while the athletes get to leave and make BIG money signing cards in the pros.

stanthemanmusial

Nov 1, 2014
Well good for these schools. I've always felt that these universities were being deprived of revenue, while the athletes get to leave and make BIG money signing cards in the pros.

Universities are nothing but money making fronts. Tons of money is poured in to them. They aren't victims by any means.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Universities are nothing but money making fronts.

It's certainly been building that way, more so football than basketball, IMHO.

For years, to get any decent seat in season ticket form, a fan has to make a "donation" to that team's booster club.

You used to be able to listen to the sports broadcasts of the teams over the internet for free. A few years ago, most college teams started charging for per-game or season subscriptions to listen to the radio broadcasts.

In the last year or two, national broadcasters are paying absurd amounts of money to conferences for the rights to televise conference games or even start conference tv networks like Big 10, PAC-12, SEC and what I think I've heard is an upcoming ACC Network.

College sports is definitely huge business now compared to 10 or more years ago.

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
I think the players are up for grabs but UD wouldn't be able to show team logos or names on the schools with Panini and face it, airbrushing/headshots only go so far.

Latest posts