Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hoarding vs Collecting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
A few weeks ago I jokingly mentioned in the MT that the hospital that I work at was having a lecture on hoarding disorders. It was hosted by mental health experts at the hospital, and took a serious look at hoarding disorders.

I figured I'd post some of the differences between collectors and hoarders, according to the experts. Hopefully most of us can call ourselves "collectors". :)

Collectors:
  • feel proud of their possessions
  • keep their possessions well organized and maintained
  • find joy in their possessions and are willing to display them for others
  • attend meetings or conferences with others who share their interest
  • budget time and money for their possessions

Hoarders:

• feel embarrassed by their possessions
  • have their possessions scattered randomly often without any functional organization
  • have clutter that often results in the loss of functional living space
  • often have debt, sometimes extreme
  • feel ashamed, sad or depressed after acquiring additional items

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Whew, so I am classified as a collector by the expects, but still classified as a hoarder by the girlfriend lol

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
Know someone that is not able too have dinner at his kitchen or dining room table due to 5 row boxes and others filled with junk commons. He keeps them "what if this guy has a breakout season and I sold his cards for a dime?". At one point I kept everything and had them sorted by team, year, player and than repeat but by card number.

jackson0114

Jan 20, 2012
Crazy how these 5 things are right on point for PC collectors.

Collectors:

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Crazy how these 5 things are right on point for PC collectors.

Collectors:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]
90scurio5.jpg
[/FONT]

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
I wonder if I am a Henderson hoarder, if the government would give me assistance to help me hoard more effectively, maybe transforming me into a collector? :evil:

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
i fall a little bit into both of those categories. lol

So true.

"See they look identical but if you look closely on the back corner of the card one has one asterisk while the other has TWO asterisks."

Perfect. I've tried explaining this soooooo many times to blank stares, and no one's EVER said "Wow, I didn't notice that at first. How cool! I could totally see why you'd love collecting baseball cards. How do I get started?"

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
I have met way more autograph people who fall into the hoarder category then the card collectors. I will see guys IP all the time who get the same dudes, over and over, dozens and dozens of times, and always complain when they don't get them. Its sad...and makes me wonder.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I'm borderline. I equate my JJ collection to hoarders leaving plastic cups or food everywhere and not throwing the stuff away.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Isn't "hoarding" actually considered some kind of medical condition or addiction now? :?

Yes, soon to be known as Hoarding disease with a new prescription drug for it coming soon to a pharmacy near you.

Hoarders would also need to attend meetings. HA meetings.

Except for 2005 Topps Gold #25 Thome cards, and a few others, I'm just a normal Jim Thome collector.:wink:

Members online

Latest posts