Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What's your plan for your collection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
Building on this thread: http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143079

What is your end game for your collection? Are you going to sell it at some point? If so, what are you waiting for?

Most people would say they'll hand it down to their kid(s). That's great, but what if your kids don't like sports cards?

Do you honestly think there will be a market in 30 years for the kinds of cards that are being released today?

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
No plans, just a dog chasing cars.

I do think however that collecting is geared towards those with money, meaning that whatever generation is in the prime of their earning power is going to be the bulk of the purchasing power. I think that the 90s stars like Griffey, Jeter are going to continue to ascend in the next 10-20 years while the 'vintage' stuff will slow down. People collect who they watched as kids/young adults so someone like me (30 years old) has no connection with 1960s/70s Topps. A Mantle rookie will always be a Mantle rookie, but people who were kids when he played are now ~60 years old.

I guess what I'm saying is I doubt many people on here have any plans to sell, but in the 2020s and beyond the market may sway more to unload collections as the dollar demand increases.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
I don't have an end game. I don't have any kids to leave my collection to. If my 2 nieces ever have kids, I would leave it to them. My collection isn't worth much. I collect what I like. I told my wife that I would sell my collection if we ever needed money that bad. She said that she wouldn't want me to sell it. Because it makes me happy. I have a great wife. :D

I don't have an end game. I don't have any kids to leave my collection to. If my 2 nieces ever have kids, I would leave it to them. My collection isn't worth much. I collect what I like. I told my wife that I would sell my collection if we ever needed money that bad. She said that she wouldn't want me to sell it. Because it makes me happy. I have a great wife. :D

This

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
No end game for me either. There's an egotistical side to me that I want to have one of the most complete and best looking collections no matter what I pursue. My kids have no interest in cards or baseball, I get what I enjoy, but it's purely for myself.
Maybe the one that sells it is me. Ya never know.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
If someone wants a collection of Gino Guidugli, Dennis Northcutt, Josh McCown, Josh Johnson and other assorted players ... well, drug test them immediately. I keep on planning to collect my main core of scrubs til I die. Then pass them off to my daughter and if she doesn't want them, have my brother sell them for her.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
To have more Bagwell cards than Aaron.

If I die before accomplishing that, then I have instructed my wife to give my collection to him, since my kids wont want it, and he would be the only one wanting them anyways.

Last edited:

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
tonsofcommons said:
magicpapa said:
curio1.jpg

Most posted picture in FCB History?

Most of my collection is spoken for................. If I can ever get that Michael Guy to Sell

Last edited:

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
No plans, just a dog chasing cars.

I do think however that collecting is geared towards those with money, meaning that whatever generation is in the prime of their earning power is going to be the bulk of the purchasing power. I think that the 90s stars like Griffey, Jeter are going to continue to ascend in the next 10-20 years while the 'vintage' stuff will slow down. People collect who they watched as kids/young adults so someone like me (30 years old) has no connection with 1960s/70s Topps. A Mantle rookie will always be a Mantle rookie, but people who were kids when he played are now ~60 years old.

I guess what I'm saying is I doubt many people on here have any plans to sell, but in the 2020s and beyond the market may sway more to unload collections as the dollar demand increases.

Good insight. Never thought about the demographics that way.

weight333

May 28, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
I don't have any end game plans. I still very much enjoy collecting and want to strive for one of the best Bonds collections out there. I suppose if I fell on very hard financial times or someone threw me an insane offer for the collection I would sell. I'm purchasing a home in about a year and am excited to finally set my man cave up for display.

MetalAndy

Aug 10, 2014
NH
Since I unloaded most of what I had in the 90's and now only collect Ellis Burks I guess I really don't need a game plan haha, I have a pretty good size collection and a bunch of great cards of his but obviously they aren't really worth anything. I know there is at least one other Burks collector in the world since he is on here. They mean a lot to me so I guess that's all that matters. I just need to obtain every single card of his so they can stop making them anytime now.

I remember when collecting was a hobby for anyone including kids. When everything was waaaay more affordable. I mean there's still cheaper cards and packs out there but it seems like most of the hobby is just so out of control with auto's, 1/1's, patches, relics and what not. Don't get me wrong I think it's all really cool stuff and I love getting the new Burks inserts but is all of this really going to be worth anything in the future? The market is flooded with all these inserts and such which doesn't really make it special or unique at all. I'm just not sure if todays cards will be worth anything in 20 years. One advantage they do have is that its not mass produced like cards in the 80's and early 90's. I think its possible that certain rookie cards like Trout, Puljos, will still hold value but only because they are short printed. I mean look at rookies of legends like Clemens, Gwynn, Puckett, Boggs and Mattingly. Most of them aren't worth much at all unless they are high grades. It's a shame but on the other hand there's a ton of them.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
I buy, then sell, then buy again to sell to buy lol. It's a never ending cycle. I will keep only the rarest stuff and build off that. I'm a quality of quantity guy. Regardless of how long I plan to keep my stuff, end game is to sell.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I find myself thinking more and more about it as I get older. If I am lucky, I have another 30-40 years to live and will have time to enjoy it a bit longer, get organized and then sold off on my terms, but you never know when you'll be that 54 (arbitrary age) year old guy who dies too young.

My boys seem to have no interest at this point and there are no other kids in the family to considerer. They are 10 and 12 now. Maybe they might be more interested later, but doubtful. I will probably try to start selling off what I can at some point in the future. I have been trying to dial in the organization more and more the last couple of years, but it is so time consuming. I have accumulated what amounts to a small hobby shop worth of items that run from sets to vintage to oddball to autographs. I pretty much have a little of everything and I generally collected for what appealed to me, but there is value in a decent percentage of what I gathered. I also have a lot of bulk stuff that most people would consider insulation or fire starter material too.

I have always though it would be really fun to sell off a decent collection in dutch auction format where you actually do put in hundreds and thousands dollar cards and some people get a major hit for their $10 or $20 investment, but I don't think you'd get enough support to make it run right.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I will donate the bulk of my collection to the Library of Congress as a tax writeoff. My coffin will have a cedar-lined, moisture-proof section in the bottom where all the best stuff will go, Pharaoh-style.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
My Cuddyer collection is slowly being sold off to another collector.
They have all of my 1/1s of Cuddyer's right now, except the Diamond 1/1, that is one I plan on keeping.
We will then work on the non-1/1s, the autos and the game used cards and they will take on the ones that they dont have.
From there, what is left will be sold off.

Members online

Latest posts