Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What non-QB's playing today are HoF locks (or near locks)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I'm not really looking for speculation (i.e. Megatron, JJ Watt, Gronkowski). I'm talking about guys who are seasoned vets with 8+ years as a starter.

The few that I can think of off the top are Charles Woodson, Troy Polamalu and maybe Joe Thomas (although Thomas is still a bit of a projection).

Some fringe guys (or harder to predict b/c of position) would be Andre Johnson, Jason Witten, Terrell Suggs.

Thoughts.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
reggie wayne......

champ bailey.....(edit to add - i included him even though he didnt play this year since he didnt actually retire until this month)

john abraham.....

justin smith......

Last edited:

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I was wondering if AV would be mentioned, and the fact that he has been by multiple listers is a good sign.

Glad to see Hester listed too, I'd agree.

For those mentioned, I don't see it happening for AJ80, S-Jax, Fletcher, Wayne and Abraham. Justin Smith, Peppers, Suggs and Gates are close, but not gonna make it IMO.

For those not mentioned: Lance Briggs, James Harrison, Revis and "Peanut" Tillman are close too.

Patrick Willis, Jared Allen, Vince Wolfolk and Matt Forte are in for me...

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I was wondering if AV would be mentioned, and the fact that he has been by multiple listers is a good sign.

For those mentioned, I don't see it happening for AJ80, S-Jax, Fletcher, Wayne and Abraham. Justin Smith, Peppers, Suggs and Gates are close, but not gonna make it IMO.

For those not mentioned: Lance Briggs, James Harrison, Revis and "Peanut" Tillman are close too.

If you go to football-reference they have a player value ranking that is similar to WAR in baseball and guys like Peppers and Fletcher are extremely high.

My personal opinion is that kickers are still slightly over valued. I think more and more you will see coaches in the not so distant future start using all 4 downs when they are in the red zone. The prize 7 is so much more than what you can settle for 3. This devalues a kicker.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
If you go to football-reference they have a player value ranking that is similar to WAR in baseball and guys like Peppers and Fletcher are extremely high.

My personal opinion is that kickers are still slightly over valued. I think more and more you will see coaches in the not so distant future start using all 4 downs when they are in the red zone. The prize 7 is so much more than what you can settle for 3. This devalues a kicker.

But most of the writers will not value those stats as much Post-season success.

AV isn't nearly as good as some other recent Kickers, but his Post-season success will be the deciding factor IMO. Kinda like Kurt Warner. Not nearly the best QB but had a buncha good Post-seasons. Fletcher only has 1 Playoff game (I think) and Peppers is probably viewed as too one-dimensional and again no big Post-season success besides the one good Bears playoff...

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
@gt2590 - What is keeping Gates out in your opinion?

I think he's another guy, like alot of WRs nowadays, who will get hurt by the overall increased passing stats. He probably needs 4 or 5 more good years to make it.

Plus, he's got to overcome being a contemporary of Witten, Graham and "Gronk" (at their current pace) who ARE locks IMO.

The Pro Football HOF is just so hard to get in, especially for TEs and WRs and soon, for RBs. Cris Carter shoulda been in years earlier...

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I think he's another guy, like alot of WRs nowadays, who will get hurt by the overall increased passing stats. He probably needs 4 or 5 more good years to make it.

Plus, he's got to overcome being a contemporary of Witten, Graham and "Gronk" (at their current pace) who ARE locks IMO.

The Pro Football HOF is just so hard to get in, especially for TEs and WRs and soon, for RBs. Cris Carter shoulda been in years earlier...

Gates isn't a contemporary of those guys, he was the trailblazer for the Jimmy Graham's.

Gates played in the MAC when I was. The only problem, he wasn't a football player, he was a hooper.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008

I agree on Jared Allen, but what makes you say Matt Forte?

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I agree on Jared Allen, but what makes you say Matt Forte?

I just think that when he retires, at his current pace (or close to it), his Numbers will be just too good to ignore. I'm pretty sure he's already 3rd or 4th in most Bears career stats. I'm not saying he's as good as Sayers or Payton, but he will have some very impressive numbers. Especially in contrast to other current RBs...

Members online