Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Matt Kemp to Padres ....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WaxPax

per MLB Trade Rumors....

[h=2]Padres To Acquire Matt Kemp[/h]By Charlie Wilmoth [December 11, 2014 at 5:12am CST]
The Padres and Dodgers have agreed to terms on a deal involving Matt Kemp, Dennis Lin and Kirk Kenney of the San Diego Union-Tribune report. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reported earlier tonight that a deal was close.
The deal will send Kemp and catcher Tim Federowicz to San Diego, with the Dodgers receiving catcher Yasmani Grandal, righty Joe Wieland, and pitching prospect Zach Eflin. The Dodgers will also include $30MM to help cover the $107MM remaining on Kemp’s contract.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Not sure this is the right move for the Dodgers, even though Kemp really cannot play the outfield and should be a first baseman at this point. I guess it all comes down to when they think he will start to legitimately decline.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Great move for the Padres! Dodgers are also paying just under 1/3 of his remaining contract to boot.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
My initial reaction to all of this, especially Kemp: sick to my stomach.

I want to believe that 'we' traded a guy whose defensive skills were inadequate for anyplace but right field and who had a remarkable 2nd half in 2014. I don't want to learn in 2015 that he really has regained the form that (should have) won him the MVP a few years back. His bat carried the Doyers when others weren't getting the job done (I'm looking at you, Yasiel).

I want to believe that Andrew Friedman is a heck of a lot smarter than anyone else in the room and sees things that I and many others cannot possibly see now. However, right now I see that we traded away the league leader in steals and triples for some prospects, two of which we flipped to the Angels for a 2nd baseman who only has one year left on his contract. Remind me again who Kendrick is place-holding for? I can't think of the stud 2B that we have waiting in the wings. What? There isn't one? Maybe Gordon will never have a season like he just had. Maybe.

Rollins I can wrap my brain around. He's a place holder for Seager. I like it. He's a huge defensive upgrade over Hanley, has a much better attitude, will hustle and take/steal a base, and is a good guy to have in the clubhouse.

Brandon McCarthy? Four years? Really? Ugh.

I think the Dodgers are a much weaker team now than yesterday. I hope I'm wrong.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Wasn't there a huge Kemp/Dodgers collector here?Rough day for him.I fail to see how the Dodgers improved with any of these moves.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Wasn't there a huge Kemp/Dodgers collector here?Rough day for him.I fail to see how the Dodgers improved with any of these moves.
It's going to take some getting used (not that any of us Dodgers fans have a choice), but I can see potential. Rollins and Kendrick are a big defensive upgrade (in total) over Hanley and Dee. I'm going to miss Dee's speed, but his OBP wasn't that great. Rollins will cover some of the speed and still has some pop. Rollins will be the bridge for Seager in another year, so I'm good there.

I'm going to miss Kemp. Yes, he is injury prone. Yes, he had some attitude issues. I chalk that up to not being able to play where he wanted. Too damn bad - he wasn't a good in center. Having said all that, he has been one of my favorite Dodgers since he came up. I'll miss his potential, but him being gone means we can free up some of the logjam in the outfield. We'll see if Joc can do what he's capable of. Move Puig back to right where he belongs. I assume another outfielder will be dealt, hopefully Ethier. He's a liability at the plate and his contract is bad. If he goes (or Crawford), that leaves Van Slyke and Crawford/Ethier platooning in left. I'm good with that.

What I don't like is the loss of a nasty right-handed bat in the lineup. I'm hoping that's addressed, 'cause Ramirez and Kemp leave a huge hole there.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
My initial reaction to all of this, especially Kemp: sick to my stomach.

I want to believe that 'we' traded a guy whose defensive skills were inadequate for anyplace but right field and who had a remarkable 2nd half in 2014. I don't want to learn in 2015 that he really has regained the form that (should have) won him the MVP a few years back. His bat carried the Doyers when others weren't getting the job done (I'm looking at you, Yasiel).

I want to believe that Andrew Friedman is a heck of a lot smarter than anyone else in the room and sees things that I and many others cannot possibly see now. However, right now I see that we traded away the league leader in steals and triples for some prospects, two of which we flipped to the Angels for a 2nd baseman who only has one year left on his contract. Remind me again who Kendrick is place-holding for? I can't think of the stud 2B that we have waiting in the wings. What? There isn't one? Maybe Gordon will never have a season like he just had. Maybe.

Rollins I can wrap my brain around. He's a place holder for Seager. I like it. He's a huge defensive upgrade over Hanley, has a much better attitude, will hustle and take/steal a base, and is a good guy to have in the clubhouse.

Brandon McCarthy? Four years? Really? Ugh.

I think the Dodgers are a much weaker team now than yesterday. I hope I'm wrong.

McCarthy was a good sign. He will be a very solid 4 for you guys. Thats the going rate for starting pitchers, its insane, but thats the going rate. Trading Kemp improves the Catching position and doesn't really weaken the OF if Joc can play well and Crawford can stay healthy. He can semi replace Dee's speed. Dee really was not a great player and Kendrick is a huge upgrade. Rollins is not much worse than Ramirez if you consider Offense and Defense. They are definitely a stronger team today. Friedman is a genius. I'm sure he knows what he is doing. He is removing the clubhouse cancers IMO and the players he know had good years and he is selling high. Its a great move and I expect the dodgers to contend for the WS if not be favored once again.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Looks like I may be seeking a bunch of new autographs for my Dodger auto collection now…still haven't got all of the old players yet (Puig and Urias are two that are still eluding me at "my" prices)!! Maybe some will be flipper or will not make the club...

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
don't like this trade one bit as a Dodgers fan. Grandal is fine, but why the rush to get rid of Kemp? he was a beast in the 2nd half of last year, looked healthy, fixed his batting stance. unless the Dodgers flip the other Padres prospects soon for an SP I don't get the urgency of not waiting through the winter and seeing if a market materializes for Ethier or Crawford who pretty I would much rather move.

curiously not sure why the Padres feel the need to take on $75m in salary now. I don't think they are close to contending.

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
Kemp was inconsistent and has never been good offensively for s significant stretch of time since his huge year. The salary relief opens up a ton of options and Friedman is obviously very actively reshaping the team.

Grandal is a good cost controlled asset who is a good framer. Friedman's Dodgers will be more well rounded 1-9.

Kendrick and addl pieces for Gordon is a steal. Dee was fun to watch but his low OBP was a killer at the top of the order, and his defense was suspect. I don't expect him to put together much of a career -- speed alone just doesn't get you that far. 2014 was a BABIP enhanced career year IMO. And you get draft pick compensation for Kendrick (and possibly Rollins) after 2015.

McCarthy will be good when healthy.

Padres are heading nowhere fast. Kemp makes no sense for them. Still a 90+ loss team.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
So does this mean that the Padres are going to add more pieces? Seth Smith is the only other decent hitter in San Diego.
If you are going to spend 77 million on a slugger you better back him up. If not don't waste the money.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
San Diego is such a terrible baseball franchise at the moment. not really sure when it all went downhill - was it right after the Matt Bush selection? - but man they have had some big misses (some bad luck, and some injuries) in the draft.

Starting with Bush, here were their 1st round selections:
2005: Cesar Carrillo
2006: Matt Antonelli
2007: Nick Schmidt
2008: Allan Dykstra
2009: Donavan Tate
2010: Karsten Whitson
2011: Corey Spangenberg and Joe Ross
2012: Max Fried
2013: Hunter Renfroe
2014: Trea Turner

I don't have the time to go back and look at who they could have drafted instead in some of these cases. oh well, at least the weather is awesome in SD!

Members online

Latest posts