Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

3 Team/10 Player Trade Done - Wil Myers to SD, Trea Turner to WASH, S. Souza to TB + More

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
No shock, as Matt Silverman's sole strategy seems to be improving the farm system at the expense of gutting the entire team, one by one.

Watch out, Longo.

I'm thinking Austin Hedges, Matt Wisler and a third prospect would get this deal done.

According to FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal, the Rays and Padres are discussing a "significant trade" that would involve outfielder Wil Myers heading to San Diego.
Rosenthal says a "number of players" would be involved in the swap, though it's "not known" if the trade is actually close to happening. Myers batted just .222/.294/.320 with six home runs and 35 RBI in 87 games this past season for Tampa Bay, but he's only 24 years old and should have a bright future. Myers is under contractual control through 2019. Dec 16 - 5:45 PM
Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
If I'm the Rays I ask for Wisler, Hedges, and Renfroe and nothing short.

No way they get all three. Two, maybe.

FYI:

Jim Bowden ‏@JimBowden_ESPN
Hearing that trade proposals between TB & SD have included Austin Hedges going to TB as part of Will Myers package…no deal yet

Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo
Sources: #Rays have been inquiring about #Padres pitchers RJ Alvarez, Matt Wisler and Burch Smith. Likely discussed in Myers talks.

Last edited:

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
No way they get all three. Two, maybe.

FYI:

Jim Bowden ‏@JimBowden_ESPN
Hearing that trade proposals between TB & SD have included Austin Hedges going to TB as part of Will Myers package…no deal yet

Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo
Sources: #Rays have been inquiring about #Padres pitchers RJ Alvarez, Matt Wisler and Burch Smith. Likely discussed in Myers talks.

If I'm the Rays why would I move Myers for less than that. Maybe Hedges, Alvarez, and Wisler.

Myers has 5 YEARS OF TEAM CONTROL and is a very very good player. They should be able to get three very good prospects for him. If they don't get the offers then just hold him.

I would NOT move him for Wisler Hedges and a low end guy.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I'm not a big Myers fan. He seems lackadaisical in the field and tanks certain at bats if he falls behind in the count. Doesn't seem to be a student of the game at all. Move him while he has value.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
I'm not a big Myers fan. He seems lackadaisical in the field and tanks certain at bats if he falls behind in the count. Doesn't seem to be a student of the game at all. Move him while he has value.

If you are basing this on last year you need to check him out this year. Dude can swing a bat and is just okay in the field but could be a very good #3 hitter for years.

He was injured almost all of last year. He would have exponentially more value after next year if he can just come back and be solid which IMO he will.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
Every year there is one team that sneaks up and unexpectedly wins a division title.

Maybe the Padres can sneak up on the N.L. West this year. (...hope so anyway!)

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
Every year there is one team that sneaks up and unexpectedly wins a division title.

Maybe the Padres can sneak up on the N.L. West this year. (...hope so anyway!)

If they swing this deal they will be good. Doubt they unseat the Dodgers but I think second place and a wild card is very doable IMO. Giants got worse, who knows what the DBacks are doing, Rockies are still below average. Wild Card is very much possible.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I'm a fan of Myers and am excited to see what kind of season he has in 2015. Would be really cool to see him in SD.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
The plot thickens.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Sense among those in the know is that while Padres-Rays deal involving Wil Myers is straight-up, players dealt could be on the move again. Could be a similar situation to what happened with Andrew Heaney: traded to one team, onto another. GMs these days always five steps ahead.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
The plot thickens.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Sense among those in the know is that while Padres-Rays deal involving Wil Myers is straight-up, players dealt could be on the move again. Could be a similar situation to what happened with Andrew Heaney: traded to one team, onto another. GMs these days always five steps ahead.

Crazy. Should be interesting going forward. As a Rays fan, do you think they should move Myers?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Crazy. Should be interesting going forward. As a Rays fan, do you think they should move Myers?

Not a Rays fan anymore, so I could give two s***s. My only interest is which prospects gets moved.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
If you are basing this on last year you need to check him out this year. Dude can swing a bat and is just okay in the field but could be a very good #3 hitter for years.

He was injured almost all of last year. He would have exponentially more value after next year if he can just come back and be solid which IMO he will.

Well, if he can be a good middle of the order hitter, the Rays should keep him. I watch the Rays all the time, living here in FL. He plays the game like he could totally care less. Not to mention that he struggles with anything down in the zone. Maybe he gives off a lazy vibe on the field but actually works at his craft (a la Manny Ramirez or Robinson Cano), but if he isn't dedicated to his craft, get him out of town.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
The plot thickens.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan

It'd be interesting to see if they, the Padres, tried to get Hamels, by getting Myers and then flipping someone else w/him to Philly. THEN, the Padres could possibly trade Cashner / Ross IF the package they got was absolutely too good to pass up.

Members online