Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Burbank Pricing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Did anyone else notice a big jump in prices in their ebay store? I prefer not to deal with them, but I saw a couple cards that weren't terribly overpriced (around 30% above market value) I was thinking about buying after my next ebay bucks payout, and added them to my watch list.

I was skimming through my watch list today, and noticed all of them had been raised by at least 50% over what they were previously listed at. Do they specifically target cards that are being watched, or is raising prices on already overpriced cards just par for the course? Not that big of a deal - I prefer to spend my money else where anyway - but it did seem a little strange to have every single one of the 15 or so cards I was watching jacked up in price out of the millions of cards in their inventory.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Can we confirm that? Maybe pick one card that is crazy overpriced and we'll have a bunch of people all watch it and see what happens...

Swipe79

Nov 28, 2014
The last order I placed with them came very poorly packaged. I will not give them any more money and the pricing is rather annoying.

Another one I ran across is steelcitysportscards. I asked about a couple of Headley cards I wanted and he won't budge off of 2X going rate.

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
They only have 1 card that I need and I have never been willing to cave and pay their price. It isn't in my watch list but I just checked it out and sure enough it went up in price. Just don't understand it.

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
The last order I placed with them came very poorly packaged. I will not give them any more money and the pricing is rather annoying.

Another one I ran across is steelcitysportscards. I asked about a couple of Headley cards I wanted and he won't budge off of 2X going rate.

Be thankful you received the cards. The right cards at that. I bought from them many times before until he jacked me for a couple of bucks. I was spending $800 - $1500 a year buying cards from him. All that stopped when he didn't refund the $6 shipping to return the wrong card he sent me. I haven't even checked what he is selling the last year or so.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I don't understand how a business who both overcharges and had poor customer support manages to do so well.

Ah, I guess if you have cards that people want, a lot can be overlooked.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Their inventory is just so vast that often they're the only place to find what you want. A lot of collectors search elsewhere, can't find the card cheaper, and then suck it up and buy from Burbank.

Personally I've only bought from them once, from their Beckett store. The transaction went fine, but their prices and shipping rate to Canada make them too expensive for me.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Is their inventory impressive? Definitely. But I think the rise of COMC (and subsequent plateauing, but let's ignore that) has definitely taken away some of Burbank's business. I've purchased hundreds of cards for my collection that I had never seen before or never seen priced close to what I'm willing to pay. I'm sure Burbank still has many regular customers who couldn't care less what they pay, as long as they get the card they want. But it does seem kind of strange to see them spiking prices upwards of 50% on cards that were *already* priced well above what they would bring at auction.

Luckily (or unluckily), the cards I was watching that got repriced were just some odds and ends for my Pirates collection that I'm sure I can live without, and are common enough that a copy will probably show up at a better price sooner or later. If they were Jack Wilson cards I needed, I might have been willing to at least give a second thought to ponying up for the cards.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The one card I have been watching for months didn't change price. I only watch it to track a potential sale if someone who didn't care about overspending were to eventually buy it.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
I owe a good percentage of my commons & low level inserts to Burbank, always had great fulfillment & shipping from them when I was building my RJ collection. They're a great resource for building a PC from scratch or filling in the holes in one go. But anything with an inch of rarity is overpriced, as everyone seems to agree. $22.75 for a plain jersey card from 2001? I expect it would be very hard to price-manage millions of cards effectively though. And like so many sellers (griffeyfan....) do, there seem to be enough moneyed people in this world overpaying that quality sales outweigh quantity sales.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I've bought one card from them. No issues with anything. Then I inquired about a pic for a card on beckett marketplace. They responded back no, they couldn't get one on such a low value card while dealing with such high volume. A week later it was on ebay with a pic and bo/bin. I low balled and was accepted

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I've bought one card from them. No issues with anything. Then I inquired about a pic for a card on beckett marketplace. They responded back no, they couldn't get one on such a low value card while dealing with such high volume. A week later it was on ebay with a pic and bo/bin. I low balled and was accepted

I haven't paid attention to their listings really but I didn't know they even did BO. I did recently see a completed listing of theirs for 2 Omar Vizquel 1998 Leaf Z2 Axis that sold for $35 each , in October I think. Maybe their mad they undersold those by a few hundred they jacked everything up.

Regardless of prices , their inventory and listing ability is impressive.

Ryan

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL

I'm shocked to see they offered a BO! I don't think I have ever see them offer it, otherwise every crazy Doerr they have I would of already throw offers against the wall for!

Thanks,
Jeff

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I'm shocked to see they offered a BO! I don't think I have ever see them offer it, otherwise every crazy Doerr they have I would of already throw offers against the wall for!

Thanks,
Jeff

This was just this last year. Card was a George foster sweet spot auto. They had it on BM for $20 then listed it on ebay. want to say I got it for $12..

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
So, I suppose I should stop watching something then. I always tell myself next time I have some eBay bucks I'll justify the purchase but then something else always pops up!

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Stupid question- how does one earn ebay bucks? I am totally unfamiliar.

- sign up for the program (check the ebay bucks info page for details - it may even have a link to click to sign up). It's mostly 2% ebay bucks except for special promotional offers that are frequently sent and offer chances of earning higher percentages back.

- win and PAY for your auction. Ebay bucks will be awarded in certain categories (unfortunately my other hobby is one of those excluded categories so most of my ebay bucks come from trading card wins and not purchases from my secondary hobby).

Members online

Latest posts