Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What to do with all that base?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robertwolf1

Aug 8, 2008
I know it has come up before but...
I am trying to consolidate and focus my collecting going forward. Everything Pre-80 I have a grip on. What to do with all the base from the 80's, 90's, and 2000's?
Do I burn the late 80's early 90's stuff? What about base from the last 6ish years. Star lots, insert lots, team lots? Or do it with lots by Set by Heritage A&G... If anyone has undertaken anything similar I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
A few months back, I gave close to 30K junk-era commons to Savers. If some kids get enjoyment out of my 1991 Fleer commons, then it's a win. That's really the only value in that junk wax. I list most of my base from 1996 to now on Sportlots, there will always be set collectors and team collectors that will need the commons you have. Last month I listed a few hundred 2005 Topps base cards, and that same night, someone put in an order for about 25.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
i'm currently down to slightly over 2 million cards on hand now ....they take up almost my entire home , but frankly , if i weren't faced with an eviction (landlord died , new property manager from out of state was brought in , and many of the properotes have been jetisoned along with their long-term tenants such as myself) and in desperate need of extra cash AND a little reduction in the load i'd be adding to the total without regret.....

out of curiosity , where are you robert ? despite my overload , i'm still looking to pick up as much as i can in bulk since i'm just about to get back into the flea market/show scene (along with a pair of local friends/collectors) after a "real-life-mandated" hiatus of 15 years so i'm on the lookout for as much inventory as i can squeeze in....

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
Salvation Army gets 10,000 's from me . I also have 400,000 filed by team in alpha order for player request

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Depends on where your local shop is. f you're going to Oddesy, Greg might take them. I doubt Eddie or Howard(old ballpark or Houston sports connection) would though. Sport collectibles of Houston might though. Anything from the 80's they(meaning everyone) would not take to my knowledge. If you've got the time and are patient, there are set collectors like myself who would love to know what you have. I'm building sets spanning from 1968-present.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Took a lot of mine to Goodwill.I would never burn them.Someone else out there will enjoy them.

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
Each year around Christmas time, I donate all of the base cards that I've accumulated that year to the Children's Hospital. Not only is this a great tax write off but it's also a generous way of potentially making some kids happy. :)

Another option you might consider is sorting everything and selling 800 count boxes of specific teams. I used to know a guy that would do this and sell them for $10/ea. He'd really clean up.

I strongly discourage collectors from throwing cards away. Just recycle them back through the hobby so people can continue to enjoy them. :cool:

Last edited:

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
- Give it out for Halloween to trick-or-treaters.
- Fill up $10 or $15 Flat Rate Boxes and send them to TTM guys, set builders, etc.
- Craigslist. I'm sure some one would come buy and pick up the lot for $100-200 in one swoop
- The newer stuff may be you can trade to dealers for 1-2 higher-end autos.

Some ideas. I de-bulked my collection with flat rate boxes on trading forums. $20-25 for 2000 cards is a good value even with shipping via large flat rate box. Large one can fit much more I think if you package them properly.

robertwolf1

Aug 8, 2008
Thanks for the ideas. Once I go through it all I will give any set or player collectors on here first dibs.