Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

COMC, I don't understand some sellers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I don't understand why some COMC sellers jack up the price of an item just because you made an offer on it. There was an insert numbered to 999 so not incredibly rare that a seller had listed for $2.24, I was interested so I offered $1.75, I figured if they accepted great and if not I would think about if I just wanted to pay $2.24. Well this morning I got an e-mail that said they declined my offer, no problem I decided I would just pay the $2.24, when I went to buy the card I saw the seller jacked up the price to $14.99. Again no problem as it's their card and they can do what they want, but I just wondered why a seller would do this? If you get offended at offers you can set it so you don't accept offers, and isn't the point of sending the card to COMC is to move it? I know some might say if I was willing to pay $2.24 I should have just bought it and if I really needed it I would have, but this was just an interesting card that I didn't need to have. I am happy passing on this card and I will be happy to pass on any other cards offered by this seller in the future. And for those that have read this far the card in question was a 2001 topps chrome refractor of Ray Lewis. (football I know but the story applies to all cards so I figured the baseball board would be just fine) Has this happened to any of you?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Joelhitshow?

There's a couple of seller's who so this for some asinine reason.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Haha…he did that with me for several cards. I ended up getting all of them cheaper than his asking prices from other sellers. I just had to wait a little bit for each one and he even eventually brought his original price down below what I offered originally on a cheap $2 card. I bet he still have it in his "impressive portfolio". Burbank's brother from another mother perhaps?

Joelhitshow?

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
ive had this happen on ebay often.

card was listed at like $35 i think and i offered $25 which was the going rate. He declined and put the price up to $50. lol

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
Happened to me on COMC too. I too bought the card less elsewhere. I appreciate any savings I can get. Eventually those savings add up to a "free" card for me.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
Joelhitshow?

No it's tycamsports, I wasn't going to out the seller but I just looked and now it's up to $19.99 lol. Plus with all of the good threads you start how could I not answer your question.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Thanks!

That's another seller I'll add to my "don't buy from" list.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
COMC used to be great. For buying $5-10 auto RCs for below or at eBay prices -- then having them all shipped together for a few bucks added up to significant savings, plus there was no worry about when the card would be shipped.

I'm not sure what happened.

Prices went haywire, WELL above eBay, and the ability to rationalize with a seller is not there. I've seen the issue that the OP speaks to as well, firsthand - - and when I see a RC that I want to buy that's moderately priced, I have to question -- what happens if I put an offer in? Will it get rejected, countered, or worse, rejected and the base price of the card raised? Sometimes that causes me to push the button to buy the card -- especially if it's hard to find -- even if I pay a little more than I want to.

I rarely use COMC now. I used to always have $ in the account and wait until I amassed 50-60 cards to have them ship for $3. Now, if I buy 1 or 2 cards, I'll have them shipped instantly.

Unfortunately, there are lousy, greedy people everywhere in this hobby - and world.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I don't understand why some COMC sellers jack up the price of an item just because you made an offer on it.

the only thing that makes sense to do this from a sellers POV is that an offer got the seller to realize how grossly underpriced they had the card listed at so they raised it to a reasonable price.

other reasons why would just be lame such as thinking they can get someone to overpay on a card if the price was raised because there was interest.

Bob M

Dec 7, 2014
Surfside Beach SC
I still buy most of my cards on COMC but they have gone way downhill and I am buying a lot less than I did a couple of years back. They seem to have gotten too big for their britches. I have thought about making offers, but never have tried it - now I am glad I didn't. One good thing is that they have always sent me cards that were properly graded, I have never had a bad surprise from them. I collect the old cards from the 1950's area and they have gone up quite a bit since I first started buying from them.

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
I normally do most of my insert set buying from COMC. Normally do about 8 to 10 purchases from them every year. Best regards, David

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
ab4a4f2c911a9dadc2fc34bfbbd4a325.jpg

e83cc1cbabd7bfa18927b5b9edf0e65f.jpg
be1f55f57210d7cecdba205f499f5531.jpg

Not as bad as this guy on OfferUp using the wrong card as a reference. But I've had that same thing happen to me on ebay with a kyle seager card.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

Members online