Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Favorite / Best / Good 90's Insert Sets to Collect for Completion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
So as the topic says, I want to collect some 90s insert sets since I've gotten most of the Ripkens that were high on my priority list. But I don't want to collect sets just for the sake of doing it, I want to do something that will be fun and worthwhile.

Here's some criteria that would make a set appealing to me. Can you guys recommend some sets based on these comments?

1) Preferably 20 cards or less. This prevents me from going from big sets like all of the 93 Finest Refractors or all the 98 Crusades, etc. I want something that won't take me years to finish.

2) Star-Studded. Every set is going to have some boring guys (no offense to those player collectors), but the better the names, the higher my interest level.

3) Serial numbered.

4) Moderate to high difficulty, moderate pricing. I want to put in some effort here, not just a bunch of stuff that you can BIN any day of the week. But I don't want it to be a ton of /25 items either, because that would put a huge hole in the wallet.

5) Visually appealing.

Examples of some sets I like... 92 Elites, 93 Elite Dominators, 97 Power Alleys. They all look great but for the most part they are pretty cheap, unless you try to go all PSA 10 or something like that. I also like 98 Crusades (who doesn't?) but there are just too many of them for me to pursue a set. Any recommendations you guys can provide? Thanks in advance!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
1998 Elite Master Craftsmen are beautiful. One of my personal favs. Can't remember off hand but I think around 40 cards, some cheap, some not, and should be a challenge

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Some of my favorites that meet most of the criteria:
96 Pinnacle Skylines
97 EX2000 A Cut Above
98 EX2001 Destination Cooperstown
99 Fleer Date With Destiny
99 Fleer Mystique Established
99 UD Retro Quantum Leap

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
There were tons of insert sets in the 90s that I loved chasing that would fit your criteria. Some of my favorites off the top of my head
1997 Leaf Pennant Craze (the pennant is felty)
$%28KGrHqJ,!ooFHjvkcRoWBR5h6dvScw~~60_1.JPG

Leaf Limited Lumberjacks. A couple different years but the original 95s are my favorite. The 96s had a black parallel #/500
$_1.JPG

1997 Leaf Statistical Standouts. The glove folds open
$_1.JPG

Not serial-numbered, but it's hard to find a prettier autograph set than 1998 SP Chirography
$_1.JPG

And 1997 Donruss Signature just crushed it with their Significant Signatures set (#/2000)
$%28KGrHqJHJCoFIYrEDY3VBSKV4cvf-g~~60_1.JPG

and the companion Notable Nicknames (#/200) set. These are pretty tough to find 18 years later, but reasonably priced, IMHO.
$_1.JPG

They have all-foil surface that looks a million times better in person.

Tons more, check out the million-post "1990s insert" threads.

Members online

Latest posts