Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Yoan Moncada, Boston Red Sox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
The Red Sox have agreed to a deal with Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada, according to Jesse Sanchez

!!!!! WOW !!!!

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I was just reading about him this morning, saw a report that NYY, Bosox and Padres were the 3 top contenders, and I have to admit I was getting excited to see him in San Diego after all the changes they made this year. But Boston will probably be great for him, and his cards.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
The ball is in Topps' court now. :mrgreen:

Sent from my XT907 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
$31.5M signing bonus. Wow.

Plus, Boston must also pay a 100% tax on him, making the total $63M.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
On the one hand I'm happy the Yanks aren't paying that money. Big big risk. But this is the type of guy you risk it on. No draft penalty, just money, for an elite up the middle talent.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
On the one hand I'm happy the Yanks aren't paying that money. Big big risk. But this is the type of guy you risk it on. No draft penalty, just money, for an elite up the middle talent.

Yankees' final offer was $25M, per @Joelsherman1, meaning they lost Moncada for $13M. A lot of time put in for a trivial amount to them.

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
"He's a younger Robinson Cano type with better speed and more positional versatility," one National League executive told Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com. "Our people think that he would likely go 1/1 [first round, first pick] in the [first-year player] draft if it were held today and that he has more upside than any free agent on the market. I don't know much about his overall makeup, but everything says this is a special kid -- and his numbers in youth tournaments are unbelievable."

Pretty high praise, definitely worth the risk. Now if the Sox can trade for Cole, things will get real exciting in Boston!

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
This gives the Red Sox a ton of flexibility for alignment of their position players in the future. Great grab and he should be fun to watch for a long time.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
I changed it, but anyone can change their own thread titles by double clicking the area just to the right of it.
Not on mobile app for android you can't even start a thread also. I have to go to my browser on my phone to start one and even edit the title. that maybe why he is asking for assistance on this

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
As a Yankees fan, this one stings. Moncada is young and has been touted as a can't miss prospect. When the infield depth in your minor league system is pathetic at second base and short stop, Moncada seems like a no brainer to acquire. The 100 percent tax would hurt, but this kid is one that you bite the bullet and spend the cash. This blunder will certainly cost the Yankees in the future. I'm beyond stumped as to why the Yankees spend 30 plus million dollars on old; washed up free agents, but won't commit to a younger prodigy with copious years of team control. This signing makes the world of sense for the Yankees. I wonder if that pretty boy Steinbrenner overruled Cashman and his pursuit of Moncada. Only time will tell

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Darn, was pretty sure Yanks would get him.

But it's cool, Yanks still have Stephen Drew :mad:

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

WaxPax

As a Yankees fan, this one stings. Moncada is young and has been touted as a can't miss prospect. When the infield depth in your minor league system is pathetic at second base and short stop, Moncada seems like a no brainer to acquire. The 100 percent tax would hurt, but this kid is one that you bite the bullet and spend the cash. This blunder will certainly cost the Yankees in the future. I'm beyond stumped as to why the Yankees spend 30 plus million dollars on old; washed up free agents, but won't commit to a younger prodigy with copious years of team control. This signing makes the world of sense for the Yankees. I wonder if that pretty boy Steinbrenner overruled Cashman and his pursuit of Moncada. Only time will tell

From MLB Trade Rumors:

• Yankees GM Brian Cashman badly wanted to sign Moncada, tweets Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York, but he couldn’t convince owner Hal Steinbrenner to spend any more than the reported $27MM figure. The GM told reporters, including MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch (Twitter link), that New York was asked to make its best offer yesterday. He was subsequently informed that it was not sufficient."
So there's your answer....

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I was hoping the Yankees could get him but for that kinda money it might be better they didn't. The Sox will still have to development him, I think I heard two years from being major league ready, that's a lot of dough

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I was hoping the Yankees could get him but for that kinda money it might be better they didn't. The Sox will still have to development him, I think I heard two years from being major league ready, that's a lot of dough

Don't want to hijack the thread but this is the new Yankees. Great move by the Red Sox.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
I hope the kid does great and trust me, I am no Red Sox fan. All teams had the change to pony up, some greater than others, but put that on your GM if your team was unable to do so and you thought they should have.

Members online

Latest posts