Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

No Thread About Josh Hamilton?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Without getting into too much detail, I am from Riverside, California... the crystal meth capital of the world when I was growing up. I was in a meth lab fire at 8 years old. In an out of foster care and group homes until I was 18. Lost many friends, family, teachers, mentors to the glass dick.

So I stand by my "ignorant" statement. I'm sorry your hero is a dope head. But putting your blinders on and dismissing a realistic statement as ignorant IS ignorant.

It's always just a matter of time until you relapse.

Nope. Saying always is ignorant. That was my point.

Sorry you went through some horrible **** growing up. That sucks.

Catdaddy said it a bit more eloquently than I did, but he's right - not everyone relapses. I was a cokehead for awhile. So bad that I had a heart attack from it when I was 20. The last time I used was in late 2011. I've been around it many times since, and I've never once had the urge to try it again. It's an insult to my intelligence and willpower when I hear garbage like "you'll eventually relapse." I know that wasn't your intention when you made the post, and sorry I jumped on you, but please don't make blanket statements about everyone who has used.

And Hamilton isn't my "hero." He's a ballplayer that got my second favorite team to two World Series. His story is pretty interesting, and I respect the hell out of him for getting clean, but it ends there. He was an idiot for using in the first place, he's an idiot if he did again, and he should get an even worse punishment than a normal player. And I'll feel ZERO sympathy if he used. There's no excuse...hence why I detest statements like "you'll eventually relapse."

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
As someone who was once addicted, and clean for 7 years, I have to disagree with you. There will be no relapse here. I also have many friendless, who've defeated, cleaned up and not relapsed. It's a common thought, but not a true statement.
I agree with this statement. And a little unknown fact about me. It has been almost 25 years for me. No relapses here either. And I'm 52 years young and I was 27 when I quit after about 10 years

Johnny G

Sep 29, 2008
Jersey Shore
I didn't know I was among many who are also recovering. It's an everyday battle, but doing pretty good. I wonder if used pain killers after surgery and relapsed. Although I am hearing cocaine rumors.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I think you have to be somewhat sympathetic. I doubt many addicts like being addicts. Obviously they need to take personal responsibility but we don't know what kind of demons Josh Hamilton or anyone else is fighting. I went through a drug rehab program in prison (although I didn't actually have any drug addiction) and I saw a lot of pain and struggling from guys trying to break free from drugs. I never thought of drug addiction has a disease until I saw how much it could control them, I now have a new appreciation for those who recover and stay drug free.

Multi-millionaire can't keep his nose clean long enough to make it though his enormous contract worth millions and millions of dollars?

Yeah, I have zero sympathy for him.

What I don't get is why Artie Moreno doesn't have someone with Hamilton 24/7-365. With all that they have invested in him, he should have a babysitter at all times.

David Freese had a personal driver after his troubles, I believe.

Last edited:

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Multi-millionaire can't keep his nose clean long enough to make it though his enormous contract worth millions and millions of dollars?

Yeah, I have zero sympathy for him.

What I don't get is why Artie Moreno doesn't have someone with Hamilton 24/7-365. With all that they have invested in him, he should have a babysitter at all times.

David Freese had a personal driver after his troubles, I believe.

He has his family for that

family3.jpg

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
He has his family for that

family3.jpg

Seems to have helped him.

He also has millions of dollars to do what's necessary to get himself the help that he needs. He's had Major League Baseball holding his hand for a decade, and that's seemed to have little effect.

I just don't see what more MLB can do for him at this point. I think it's time to cut him loose and let him deal with it on his own. He has the resources, so it's not like they're kicking some poor putz to the curb.

I believe Cris Carter said the best thing that ever happened to him was being cut by the Eagles. Maybe the same could work for Hamilton.

I'm not anti-Josh Hamilton in any way. If this were any, ANYYYY, other player on Major League Baseball I would be saying the exact same thing.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Here's the latest from ESPN:

Los Angeles Angels outfielder Josh Hamilton reportedly suffered a drug relapse involving the use of cocaine and alcohol in the offseason.

The Angels confirmed he met with MLB officials in New York on Wednesday about a disciplinary issue but offered no specifics as to the nature of any offense.

The Los Angeles Times earlier reported the meeting between Hamilton and the league.

Hamilton has a well-documented history of substance-abuse problems dating to his days in the minor leagues, when he was suspended from baseball from February 2004 to June 2006 for issues related to cocaine and alcohol addiction.

Hamilton's agent Michael Moye did not return a call seeking comment Wednesday. MLB spokesman Pat Courtney declined to comment.

The Daily News' report follows tweets by Jon Heyman of CBSsports.com on Wednesday in which he wrote: "Hear hamilton had relapse. Believe occurred a couple months back. Involved at least cocaine." In another tweet, Heyman wrote, "There's no word of a failed test. Word is, Hamilton told mlb about relapse."

Hamilton, who underwent shoulder surgery earlier this month and is expected to be out until at least May, has not been with the team at spring training in Arizona. The Angels have permitted Hamilton to stay at a friend's house in Houston while he rehabs from the surgery, even though players typically stay with their teams in those situations.

One of the conditions of Hamilton's reinstatement in 2006 was that he undergo drug testing three times a week. He had alcohol relapses in 2009 and 2012, bouncing back in between to make back-to-back trips to the World Series with the Rangers and win the 2010 American League MVP award.

He also took off the 2003 season, citing personal reasons. He did not play professional baseball from July 2002 to July 2006.

Hamilton signed a five-year, $125 million deal with the Angels prior to the 2013 season.[

Last edited:

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Maybe they should just dump his contract! 7-3-87 was the last time I used! do not feel sorry for him what so ever. Shame on you josh hamilton. And if I hear he has found God again I will just puke!

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I can proudly say that I've never done any sort of illegal drug, and I've never even smoked a cigarette.

I drink beer, but I've never been into drugs at all.

I come from a family (step father, two brothers) of drug addicts, meth, dope, etc, who have been in and out of prison my entire life, and I've never touched the stuff. No part of it ever appealed to me.

Hell, I haven't even had a sip of soda since 2008.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Addictions suck.

Of course personal choices come into play - from the very first time you choose the evil that will torment you to the day you either let it win or you put it behind you. But, addictions suck. The suck for you and everyone in your life. I can only image the added complexity of being a public figure with an addition with so many helpful people reminding you of your demons and even offing to help bring them back.

I hope he gets on the right path and stays there.

BamKat

Jan 23, 2015
Bottom line. Dont do drugs! As a professional athlete that KIDS look up to..... you should know better. This is a good example of someone who only thinks about himself.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The saddest thing about all of this is Hamilton has a wife and four young daughters.
What a selfish *****. And I used to admire him when he came back and supposedly got clean and became a good role model.

Now he's just pathetic. With all the help available to him, much more than a normal addict, he just throws it away.

I'm sure the Angels will find a way to void the remaining $100 million or whatever's left on his contract.
Hopefully Hamilton saved enough so his wife and daughters don't have to worry about money.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
The saddest thing about all of this is Hamilton has a wife and four young daughters.
What a selfish *****. And I used to admire him when he came back and supposedly got clean and became a good role model.

Now he's just pathetic. With all the help available to him, much more than a normal addict, he just throws it away.

I'm sure the Angels will find a way to void the remaining $100 million or whatever's left on his contract.
Hopefully Hamilton saved enough so his wife and daughters don't have to worry about money.

I don't think Hamilton's family has to worry about money and it doesn't matter - people are still gonna pray for him regardless of whether or not he's a selfish ***** that looks like he's destroyed his career again.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
So how long will he be suspended for?What sucker contract will be Angels be stuck with next?

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
my 2 cents...certain things are easier to kick than others. also it could depend on the person. i kicked a nasty uppers habit and stopped drinking cold turkey...but for the life of me i can't stop smoking. 3 times i made it to almost a yr and relapsed. while quitting it was on my mind everyday which is hard to fend off day after day.

my point...he might of been honestly trying to kick but buckled under the pressure. sadly it'll be with him as long as he lives it looks like. sucks 'cause i was hoping he'd rebound and have a good season.

Latest posts