Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1933 Goudey Babe Ruth #181 - Opinions Welcomed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Tonight I will be attending an auction that has the attached card up for sale.
Last night I went to the preview and took the attached pictures.
I believe the card to be 100% authentic, but rarely ever dabble in vintage.
Just looking for some opinions on the card. (NOTE: I will ask to open the screwdown holder to be sure the card does not stick to the holder before placing any bids)
There are no creases, there is rounding of the corners, slight paper loss on some of those corners, looks like loss of some color, and possible water damage (the browning on the card). I think the card is a PSA 1 at best. From what I can tell via completed auctions on eBay, PSA 1 prices are more based on what the buyer is looking for. For example, they dont want any creases but are say ok with rounded corners or writing on the back. Or they are ok with creases by cant have any pinholes or writing.
My gut tells me this card would bring 800-1000 at auction (meaning eBay) if graded a PSA 1.

I think if the bidding stays below 500 tonight (there is a 15% buyers fee and have to pay sales tax of 8%), that would be $615 out of pocket. I highly doubt it will stay that low, but I can dream. Anyways, sending to PSA for grading, then eBays 10% and Paypals 3%, it would have to sell for $800 minimum to make it worth while at that price. So thought is to be all in at $350 max? Opinions?

Ruth 1.jpg Ruth 2.jpg Ruth 3.jpg Ruth 4.jpg Ruth 5.jpg Ruth 6.jpg Ruth 7.jpg

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
NOTE: If you want, you should be able to click on each image to open and be able to zoom in closer to examine.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
I have this card graded a PSA 1. Mine looks better so maybe mine should be higher but that is besides the point I am trying to make. I am at work and don't have a scan or anything but if I were you bring a "loop" used for jewelry and diamonds if you have one so you can see the dot matrix of the card. Also, you can determine the card by the smell of it. Call me weird but it's true. It also "looks real" to me but of course there are very good reprints out there. I also would think if it was a reprint after you attempted to have it graded- ask the question to the auction house- if you would be protected somehow which is pretty slim but hey why not just ask if you are serious and want this card.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Youre the best Adam, thats what I was looking for.
My gut now tells me for sure its a reprint (see why I dont dabble in vintage :lol: ). The more I looked after posting this, the more I questioned the authenticity.
Most of the graded examples I was finding it looked like there was bleeding thru to the back of the front image, and this one there wasnt, so therein was my dilemma.
Ill still go tonight to see how much it goes for, and just for kicks, I will ask the owner if they will guarantee my money back if I bid and send it in for authentication and it comes back a reprint. :)

A_Pharis

Just see if you can find info on it and take another good look at it in person. I don't visit Net54, but everyone always suggests it for vintage cards.
Another thing I would look at is the "crackling". The top-to-bottom crackling is very similar with the reprints.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Here is a blown up image of the back, guessing with the "dotting" in the lettering, that is a tell tale sign of reprint?

Ruth Blownup.jpg

A_Pharis

Here is a blown up image of the back, guessing with the "dotting" in the lettering, that is a tell tale sign of reprint?

View attachment 47109

One of the things I believe you want to see is not only the dots, but you also want them to have some clarity. If the dots are fuzzy to the point that they start to bleed and blend, then you're likely looking at a reprint.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I don't get to show this off often, so here it is. I have no scan of the back, but there is some of the bleeding through that is mentioned above.

RuthVint1.jpg

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
So it was sold "as is", meaning they were not selling it as "real" or a "reprint", it was up to the bidders to determine and bid accordingly. Fair enough for the auction house, as they cannot be experts on everything.
It sold for $450 :eek: and thats before 15% premium and sales tax of 8%
Total was $554 for what was determined a reprint on here, ouch!

Like I said in my original post, I dont claim to know vintage at all, thats why I came here to ask the questions of more knowledgeable people.
If I was a bidder I wasnt going to go higher than $300 anyways, so I would have been out, but without asking the questions I would have been bidding on a reprint.

Thanks to all that posted in here and gave their opinions, very thankful.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I don't think a real Ruth that is that presentable would sell for much less than $800-1000 or more. I have shopped that card a few times because it remains one of the cool cards I remember from my youth (and having the Dover reprint) that I always wanted. I would need to be certain that the card was real before I plunked down that much for one.

Members online

Latest posts