Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New collection ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Trying to think of ideas for me and I hope others will post possible collection ideas for themselves.

I'm thinking of doing a 100 year old card per year. Such as this year buying at least one 1915 card, such as a 1915 Cracker Jack card.
DANNY

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
No idea why this popped into my head , but collect at least one of each player with your first or last name if they exist

Ryan

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
I've always thought about getting autographs of all HOF members that played for the Padres. List shouldn't be too large but never looked into it.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Good ideas. Keep them coming!
Also, post if you actually start your project.
DANNY

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
No idea why this popped into my head , but collect at least one of each player with your first or last name if they exist

Ryan

I've had a player collection on that kind of idea for a while. I have about 40 cards with people named Hogan. Pre war and modern cards in any sport. From lacrosse to horse racing jockey's and everything in between. One card I have is from a boxer named Hogan Bassey and a football player named Hogan Wharton. One card from each set. No Hulk Hogan cards. He's an idiot.

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I've had a player collection on that kind of idea for a while. I have about 40 cards with people named Hogan. Pre war and modern cards in any sport. From lacrosse to horse racing jockey's and everything in between. One card I have is from a boxer named Hogan Bassey and a football player named Hogan Wharton. One card from each set. No Hulk Hogan cards. He's an idiot.

Ha nice , and I agree HH is an idiot ;)

Ryan

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly

Have some cards from the best ever TV series about a POW Camp? Fleer made 'em when the show was on air...

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI

Ryan

I enjoy my Jeremy collection, and I did briefly consider a collection of guys who share my last name. Not many (Greg, Gregg, Karl and Ivy are the only ones I can think of), so it would have been reasonable. Not too many players from RI, so I was thinking of doing that at one point as well (only ended up with Rocco Baldelli in the PC).

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
I've always thought about getting autographs of all HOF members that played for the Padres. List shouldn't be too large but never looked into it.
Roberto Alomar, Rollie Fingers, Goose Gossage, Greg Maddux, Gaylord Perry, Tony Gwynn, Rickey Henderson, Dave Winfield, Willie McCovey and Ozzie Smith...did I miss any?

Piazza and Hoffman if they get in.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Roberto Alomar, Rollie Fingers, Goose Gossage, Greg Maddux, Gaylord Perry, Tony Gwynn, Rickey Henderson, Dave Winfield, Willie McCovey and Ozzie Smith...did I miss any?

Man I forget Maddux n Piazza had stints there

Ryan

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I went after autographs of all the all-stars and award winners (any award - MVP, League Leaders, Manager of the Year, Silver Slugger, etc). I was doing a pretty good job of working backwards, but moving forward on this type of project gets to be too difficult as the current guys seem to cost more than retired, HOF and/or deceased sometimes!

I also did the Topps All Rookie Team cards with the trophies and expanded that to signed cards too, but again keeping it current proves to be nearly impossible with the Puig, Strasburg, Trout type players coming out each year (whatever happened to the Jeff Huson type ART players?), not to mention some older toughies like Jeter, Ichiro, Munson!

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA

You pretty much nailed it. 10 players total. Dick Williams if you count managers and Jerry Coleman received the Ford C. Frick Award.

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL

Ryan

I've actually done this as a side-PC for a long time now. Jeff is way too common so that was out, but Beals Becker played back in the pre-war days and he has a decent amount of cards. His first name is actually my last name oddly enough. I'll pick him up here or there when I see something, but unfortunately a lot of his cards are of the Tobacco era, which we all know how well they sell. His Cracker Jack card is a rare sight and when seen goes for 300+ ungraded.

Thanks,
Jeff

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
One PC project I recently completed was a run of every base Topps (1990 - 2005) card of Olerud with a TTM autograph. It helped that he's a great signer.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
A lot of people collect rookie cards. That could get expensive. Why not collect their 2nd year cards ? A 1969 Nolan Ryan is just as cool as his 1968 card. Or a 1953 Mantle card is just as good.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I've also considered the last card of players. Those would have their career stats on them.
DANNY

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
In the early oughts (00's), I had a pretty comprehensive southpaw pitcher autograph collection.

I sold it off 3 years ago, but would like to start up with the theme again. Most likely, mid-high grade PSA cards of the 15 HOF lefties.

I'm also considering a famous pitching duo/trio/rotation theme for signed baseballs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts