Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Carlos Quentin to Retire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
Sorta bummed about this. I have a huge man crush on CQ when he was with the White Sox and had that one monster MVP caliber season until he broke his wrist.
He is still going to get paid due to his injuries. I wish him well on his future endeavors. I still have a bunch of his cards that are now worthless.
Hope Viciedo doesn't follow in his footsteps.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/05/carlos-quentin-in-process-of-retiring.html
Mariners outfielder Carlos Quentin confirms that he will retire from the game, as Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports in a series of tweets. Quentin had been playing with Seattle’s top affiliate since inking a minor league deal, but left Tacoma last night.

Quentin, 32, has $8MM left on the deal that he originally signed with the Padres. San Diego shipped him to the Braves just before the start of the season, of course, as part of the salary swaps included in the Craig Kimbrel deal. Atlanta cut him loose in short order, eating the remainder of that contract.
The route being pursued currently would see Quentin retain his rights to that guaranteed money. Atlanta would have been able to earn some relief had Quentin continued playing, though that amount would not have exceeded the pro-rated portion of the Major League minimum salary.
The Mariners will technically grant Quentin his release, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports (via Twitter), but that’s little more than semantics. Heyman notes that Quentin’s injuries will no longer allow him to play, which is the reason for his departure from Tacoma and his decision to retire.

The Mariners had hoped that Quentin would re-establish himself as a viable part-time bat, though obviously the team was not relying on that outcome and essentially took on no financial risk in signing him. Between 2008 and 2013, Quentin slashed a robust .260/.356/.503 with 136 long balls. But he has been slowed by injuries in recent seasons, making only 815 total plate appearances in that stretch.
Quentin confirmed in the press release that physical issues drove the decision to retire. “Over the past several days, it became clear to me that my injuries have taken too great of a physical toll for me to be able to perform at the level I expect from myself,” he explained. “As a result, I believe it is the right time for me to walk away and to refocus my energy on the next chapter of my life with my family.”

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I guess it's t too late to list those SP RCs I've been sitting on. Amazing how time goes by, these guys are out there working their asses off, and seemingly in the blink of an eye they're the old guys wearing down or getting pushed out.

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
08_quentin_3of6.jpg

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
He should of retired before he ripped the Padres off
I agree with he should have retire sadly he is only 32 but in some players early 30's can be there down years sooner then others 30's , but the Padres paid him so he stole nothing....

As for his cards now being worthless. I'm not sure they had any more of a value then as 85% of the guys in the leagues cards have not much value either...... He was never a high sought after player as cards go....Only to maybe Whitesox fans since he played well from them the first year and half he was with them......injuries were is problem from that point on. I did like watching him play while in Chicago.

[h=3]Chicago White Sox[edit][/h]

Quentin batting on July 23, 2008.​

On December 3, 2007, Quentin was traded to the Chicago White Sox for minor league first baseman Christopher Carter. Carter played for the low Class A Kannapolis Intimidators in 2007, and was considered one of the White Sox' best prospects.
[h=4]2008[edit][/h]In 2008, Quentin was a huge surprise for the White Sox, emerging to become one of the team's best hitters. Through August 18, he was ranking among American League leaders in home runs (first, 35), slugging percentage (third, .586), OPS (third, .981), and runs batted in (third, 96). Quentin's strong season drew calls for a possible AL MVP award. After Quentin hit his 35th HR in a 13-5 rout of the Mariners on August 18, White Sox catcher AJ Pierzynski said, "As far as I'm concerned, Quentin has been the American League MVP."
White Sox fans bestowed the nickname "TCQ," standing for "The Carlos Quentin." The name originated from a quote from GM Ken Williams after he acquired Quentin. He said, "We wanted to upgrade at shortstop, get a setup guy for the bullpen, acquire Carlos Quentin, and not a guy like him but actually Carlos Quentin."
Quentin's other local nickname is "Q-uperman." The "Q-uperman" sign, depicting Quentin as Superman with an "Q" on his chest, was shown many times on the Jumbotron at the park, and even received mention in the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times, and on ESPN's Baseball Tonight.
Due to Jim Thome's slow start, manager Ozzie Guillén promoted the red-hot Quentin up the batting order into Thome's customary third spot for one game against the Angels in Anaheim. Quentin delivered a key eighth-inning grand slam, breaking a 1-1 tie, and kicked off a run that saw the White Sox win 10 of 12 games and charge to first place. He stayed in the 3rd spot in the order thereafter. During a nationally televised home game on May 25, Quentin clocked two home runs off of the Angels' John Lackey and drove in all of the White Sox runs in a 3-2 walk-off victory. His towering home runs drew comparisons to sluggers such as José Canseco and Luis Gonzalez. Angels center fielder Torii Huntercharacterized his pure power as "tremendous pop, like Hulk Hogan. He's crazy strong."
Quentin injured his wrist after slamming his bat with his wrist in frustration after fouling off a pitch in Cleveland. On September 5, 2008, it was reported that Quentin had a fractured wrist and would undergo surgery, missing the rest of the season.[SUP][7][/SUP]
Quentin finished the year with a .288 average, 36 home runs, 100 RBI, and a .394 on-base percentage in 130 games. Defensively, in 2008 he had the lowest fielding percentageof all starting AL left fielders, .971.[SUP][8][/SUP] Even though he missed the last month of the season, Quentin was awarded his first Silver Slugger Award.
Quentin finished fifth in the balloting for AL MVP, behind Dustin Pedroia, Justin Morneau, Kevin Youkilis, and Joe Mauer.[SUP][9][/SUP]
[h=4]2009[edit][/h]Quentin played well at the start of the 2009 season but he hit a slump after suffering from plantar fasciitis which hampered his swing. He was forced to miss several games in May as a result of the injury and was eventually placed on the 15-day disabled list at the end of the month.[SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][11][/SUP] He was activated again on July 20 after a minor league rehabilitation assignment,[SUP][12][/SUP] and was able to remain with the big league club through the remainder of the year. In 99 games on the season, Quentin hit .236 with 21 home runs and a .779on-base plus slugging percentage.
In 2009 he was named #40 on the Sporting News' list of the 50 greatest current players in baseball. A panel of 100 baseball people, many of them members of the Baseball Hall of Fame and winners of major baseball awards, was polled to arrive at the list.[SUP][13][/SUP]
[h=4]2010[edit][/h]Quentin moved from left field to right field for 2010 as the White Sox acquired Juan Pierre to play left and right fielder Jermaine Dye became a free agent.[SUP][14][/SUP] Quentin was mired in a batting slump for a good portion of the first half of the season. On June 13, he was hitting .201 with 8 homers through 55 games. He began turning things around with a late-June hot streak which coincided with a White Sox 11-game win streak, hitting four homers and raising his OPS from .681 to .781. In early July, Quentin had a two-home run game against the Los Angeles Angels followed shortly by back-to-back two-homer games on July 10 and 11 against the Kansas City Royals, including a grand slam in the second game. Carlos Quentin entered the 2010 All-Star break batting .244 with a .867 OPS, 19 home runs and 61 RBIs, placing him among the American League leaders in both home runs and RBIs. He finished the season hitting .243 with 26 homers and 87 RBIs.
[h=4]2011[edit][/h]Quentin was selected to his second All-Star Game as a reserve after posting an .852 OPS in the first half.
Quentin sprained his left shoulder making a diving catch on August 20 and only made two more plate appearances in 2011.[SUP][15][/SUP] Quentin finished the season batting .254 with 24 home runs and 77 RBIs. He drew 34 walks, posted a .499 slugging percentage, and had a career high 31 doubles through 118 games.[SUP][16][/SUP]
In 2011, Quentin led the Major Leagues in being hit by pitch, with 23.[SUP][17][/SUP]

Last edited:

MadHandle11

Jan 31, 2011
Spokane, WA
I grew up in Tacoma and lived there most of my life..

A great stadium to go watch AAA games..

Have you ever been there?

These are from years past..

I lived in Spokane (near nature, near perfect - lol!) so I was speaking in jest, although there was always talk of the "Tacoma Aroma". The Rainiers are a great franchise.

Members online