Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2003 PLAYOFF PORTRAITS SAMPLE vs PROMO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
Maybe you all know about this already, maybe not. I thought I was buying my second sample card but here's what came in.....

attachment.php

No mention of this paper thin, blank back that came with it

attachment.php

and here's a the scan of the sample card I had

attachment.php

WTF? I'm on eBay almost every single day and I find out about this card thirteen years later?

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
2003 Playoff Portrait Promos

I've always like the 2003 Playoff Portrait set. I did a base set plus one 144 card Beige set plus a complete 72 PROMO set. The PROMOS were far more difficult to find that
the Samples. Not sure how many Smape card there were . There might have been one for all 144 card in set..not sure about that but I do know there were 72 PROMO cards.

One day I will go back and work on the Beige #d to 100 cards (I think I have 47 of those)

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Blank backed promos were given to dealers while another has "sample" and were glued onto the sealed boxes.

Also, in the October 2003 Beckett, a card was included with "sample" printed in dot matrix.

Not sure where the promo stamped came from.

Got the above info from SCD annual, might not be totally accurate.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

jmc280zx

Aug 11, 2008
SoCal
Also if the sample card is one of the ones inserted into becketts then there is a silver and a gold foil version...

Sent from my XT1060 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
The promo cards were inserted one per absolute box.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
So if there's 72 different cards and only one per box, that'll make them pretty rare.

Now add that these boxes are probably non existent now and were really pricey back then and you have some rare cards.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Saw this on COMC and thought the font of the word "Sample" was all wrong.

2003 Playoff Portraits - [Base] - Beckett Inserts Samples #93 - John Olerud
Courtesy of COMC.com

I'd only ever heard of DPL Beckett Samples coming in silver and gold foil versions. A little research led me to this old thread, as well as the baseballcardpedia.com entry for 2003 Playoff Portraits. Apparently these particular Beckett Samples were issued in only the black dot matrix-type font, not silver and gold foil versions. I picked up the card and knocked two off my wantlist -- the silver and gold foil were replaced by the single Sample version.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Here's what I have on my R. Alomar checklist for promos for this set. There's the SAMPLE from Beckett, PROMO from Absolute boxes, blank back from dealers, red from Atlantic City national, and green from the Chicago fan fest. There are a bunch of red and green ones on ebay now and a handful on comc.

Pinbreaker if you find the SAMPLE Alomar let me know!

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
Thanks (@Olerud363) for bringing this Post back. I actually found a second PROMO Ripken card for $22.50 delivered seconds after I read Banjar's post looking for the Red. Cheaper than what I paid for the first one back in 2015.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Gonna bring up an old conversation up with the below post as I'm trying to get stuff updated for my registry
I'd also appreciate learning new info if someone has some

What I am wondering is does any dealer or person still have the dealer letters they mailed with the blank back 2003 Playoff Portraits items ?

I have a bunch of the blank back dealer cards, just can't locate the letter. Willing to PayPal some funds for it if you have it- even if its a photocopy
I just need that letter as proof of the source to get my Clemens and others slabbed

Figured I'd also add some pictures as this thread comes up whenever I search for 2003 Playoff Portraits Samples or Promos . Seems a lot of Red X's

Info / checklist regarding the 2003 PLAYOFF PORTRAITS BECKETT SAMPLES

Examples below from my Roger Clemens PC of both my Yankees #15 version and Red Sox #141 versions
full.jpg

Also- an actual magazine copy in my possession with the 2003 Playoff Portraits SAMPLE card still inside
I'm sure @olerud363 will appreciate who it has inside of course

full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

Info / checklist regarding the 2003 Playoff Portraits promos

I included my Clemens and a Bagwell as examples. There is no #141 Red Sox promo- just the first 72 cards got inserted and stamped PROMO
I have also included an example of the thin sheet that came with the card as well when found inside the 2003 Absolute baseball packs. Couldn't locate any unopened Absolute boxes in storage would have loved to crack one
full.jpg
full.jpg

So far I have been unable to dig up my 2003 PLAYOFF PORTRAITS DEALER BLANK BACK info from back then
If anyone has the dealer sheet info - even a picture copy will do, I can print it out
Be willing to PayPal some your way for the help

The back is very different on these from a box topper version. The box topper versions to me at least have a waxy feel and are fairly thick in some cases and thin in others- no rhyme or reasons
These are normal thin card stock and smooth
They are not waxy or bright, more like a poster board feel and duller
Example of my Clemens DEALER BLANK BACK below

full.jpg

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
Heres a Clemens PROMO and Pujols PROMO I got from the owner of a longtime LCS when he closed out and sold off to another guy probably 6 or 7 years ago (who ran it into the ground btw and now its closed). He loaded me up on a lot of Clemens stuff for free as I had been a regular since the late 80s.

Attachments

• 20221029_085823.jpg
    20221029_085823.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221029_085830.jpg
    20221029_085830.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221029_085927.jpg
    20221029_085927.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221029_085937.jpg
    20221029_085937.jpg