Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mariners fire GM Jack Z

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I felt he talked a good game and had a good sense of how things were to be done but not super sad to see a change. I questioned more than a few moves. The only one I'm not upset with is cruz

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I felt he talked a good game and had a good sense of how things were to be done but not super sad to see a change. I questioned more than a few moves. The only one I'm not upset with is cruz

...and even the Cruz signing came with the loss of a 1st round pick on a team that probably was going to decline and needed to rebuild. There was also a huge risk Cruz could get repopped for drugs at anytime. To make matters worse at the trade deadline he would have been the best slugger available but they didn't unload him for multiple picks.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
and of course thats the GM problem......

I might as well go into my thoughts more now, was just enjoying the moment earlier...

I think the way these teams have been constructed over the years underperformance is inevitable. A combination of young players being rushed through the minors with older vets who should only be bad DHs being pushed into field roles. Constantly striving for low OBP, medium power players (despite being in the most severe pitchers park in the AL). The Trumbo trade this year sums up things pretty well. First off, those above Jack Z should have hit the Veto button hard. He was clearly feeling the end was near and started to throw sht at the wall and hope things stick. Clearly those above him have many faults as well.... its tough to know where each problem comes from.

I believe Jack hired 3 managers. None got the job done. Lloyd overestimates small sample sizes in matchups and seem to be anti-platoon on a offensively thin team that needed to be. Again its tough to know how much Jack made him do things but the end result was poor. Either he hired guys who couldn't get things done or hired yesmen who were given poor advice.

One thing we do know was Jack Z's doing was overusing Mike Zunino, as the first move minutes after he was fired was to demote MZ to AAA.

I could go on and on about JZ failures, but since so much of it came from above most harshness is probably misguided. He ended up on the Bavasi level and if Bavasi was fired then JZ should be as well.

Members online

Latest posts