Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Press/wire photos- Love them or hate them?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
Just was able to snag this great press/wire-

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1444749981.517274.jpg
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1444749993.254461.jpg

Awesome shot from a Spring Training game in 1951. Unfortunately looks like Doerr was out at home.

I happen to love adding these photos to my collection, but only it the price is right. Whether it's the former journalist me or something else, all the markings and notations add significant value to the pieces. Really feels like a part of history, more so than just an 8x10 from the same time frame.

With the fall of newspapers and magazines left and right these days, along with the digitalization of all their records, we are bound to see more and more of these in the years to come.

Unfortunately some of these get listed for ridiculous prices and the sellers aren't willing to budge. I love these items, but not sure I would be willing to spend joe than $20 on one depending on the shot.

So what's everyone's thoughts on these? Love them? Hate them?! Adding them only at right price?!

Also show off any that you have in your collection!

Thanks,
Jeff

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Actual photo paper press photos, I like a lot. When they are the AP Wirephoto printed photos, not so much.

Some from my Don Zimmer PC.

1947americanlegionphotosmall.jpg

zimmer53SAINTSPHOTO.jpg

zim_wedding.jpg

zim_july271953.jpg

zim_jitters.jpg

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
Actual photo paper press photos, I like a lot. When they are the AP Wirephoto printed photos, not so much.

I agree with this. The wirephotos there could be hundreds, if not thousands of the same thing (there used to be a lot of newspapers).

I bought one, not knowing exactly what it was. I was disappointed when the next day, the same seller put out the exact same photo as I bought. Not getting any more of these.

9680445_orig.jpg

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
My favorite press photo in my collection... it's mounted on cardboard, with photo editors improvised photo corners and crop marks. I can't figure out why they did those two Romanesque hand drawn corners - they don't match and are a weird addition. Also tried researching what newspaper this was from, but to no avail.

hack1929-1.png

hack1929-2.png

Original photo of Hack Wilson signing his 1929 contract. He is seated with William Veeck at the Wrigley Building in downtown Chicago. Teammates Woody English, Rogers Hornsby, Kiki Cuyler, Riggs Stephenson, Cliff Heathcote and Norman McMillan surround him.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Press/Wire/Original/etc.

I pretty much like them all; so I guess the answer would be "Love them". Of course when the newspapers started to sell their archives I pretty much picked up any and everything where Brooks Robinson was pictured. Now I'm definitely a bit more selective on the one's that I choose to purchase since they are more readily available. Personally I'm not really concerned with them being produced by may different papers and there are potentially more wire photos of that certain pose out there. I don't really collect the one's that are on the fax type paper; don't really like the medium.

I attached a press photo since I don't really have anything else in my computer to post at the moment.

Attachments

• Brooks and Blair Sox.JPG
    Brooks and Blair Sox.JPG
    563.5 KB · Views: 26

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I do enjoy a good photo, especially signed! I don't like those old fax paper flimsy ones that turn orange though.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
image.jpg
While this is not a press/wire photo I wanted to keep this thread going since I'd like to see some more great pictures.

mrmopar... Those are some cool shots especially like them being signed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts