Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Gotta story about a Big Hit from the last pack or last box?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I'm pretty sure those of us who've been in the Hobby for a while have come to realize there seems to be always be a great card in the Last pack left on the Shelf, or the Last box left on the shelf or in a Case, etc.

As a guy who used to run a Shop, I've seen it dozens of times and there definitely seems to be something to it. Alot of collectors who've also noticed it will even become superstitious about it and purchase the last pack in the box because of it.

Any stories like that?

heartyourlife

Jul 29, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I had a kind of like this scenerio this year, though not on a retail front.

I busted three cases of 2015 Bowman Chrome this year, as well as two random jumbo boxes. I busted the cases and moved on to the jumbo boxes. Nothing really great had come out off everything to this point, so I'm reserved to getting some more no name base auto or high numbered parallel and calling it done.

In the last pack of the last box I hit the Carlos Correa Prospect Profiles Superfractor!

Definitely saved my breaks.

Last time something like this happened to me was busting a case of 2006-07 Chronology Basketball back in the day and not hitting anything huge. Then busted the last pack and hit a Michael Jordan Letterman Patch Auto...

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Last time I bought boxes was 09 sweet spot just after release. First box stank it up with a Marlon Byrd auto in the 3rd pack, so i knew I'd have to hit something decent in the second box.
Auto came out of the last pack in the box and had 2 cards stuck to either side so i couldn't tell who it was. I peeled the cards of with my eyes shut and opened to reveal a Derek Jeter black ink /150 auto.

Before that I'd hit a joe dimaggio pinstripe jersey in the pack of a box of UD Epic and a griffey auto redemption from the first year of spx.. needless to say the last pack has been good to me

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
The only big ones I can remember pulling like this was:
Very first pack in a new box 1993 Leaf Frank Thomas auto.
Last pack in a box of 2000 Topps HD Derek Jeter auto.
The Jeter is still in my PC but the Thomas was traded that day for some NBA hoop boxes. Pure Junk! I only PC Yankees but thought someday I would pick that Thomas card up again just for the memory.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Opened a case from '10 Bowman back then with little luck.

Decided to open an extra box from a different case (the last box I had) and got a gold auto refractor of Slade Heathcott.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
It's always been the last pack or two that I leave in a box. One was 94-95 UD Hockey. There were a couple packs left in the box and the manager opened them to crack a fresh box. He offered them to me but I passed. I think I had already opened a few and was out of cash, or just not interested. Anyway, he pulled the sideways Gretzky 2500 Point card, BV at least $100 at the time. Same situation, same store, same guy, happened again a few weeks later, but I can't recall the card. Since then I've always hated leaving a pack or two in a box, but whenever I'd rip them, I'd get nothing.

First pack of the box, on the other hand, I run pretty hot. I remember when 1994 UD Minor League came out. I was at the shop when UPS delivered. Owner opens the case, pulls out a box, and lets me pick. I go for front left (back when there were 36 packs in a box) and 2nd from the bottom. Found a gold Michael Jordan card, one of 15,000. We didn't even know they were in the set. Worth probably $150 at the time, I still have it. But it was cool to think I might've been the first person in the world to open one :cool:. Front left stack, 2nd and 3rd from bottom were my target packs with new UD boxes, and I usually hit. Same went for 1999 Bowman Chrome. I was pretty much guaranteed to hit the 1:24 gold signature insert in the first pack or two I'd pick when presented with a newly-opened box, although I didn't have a favorite spot to pick on those.

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I think the product was 05-06 SP Game Used basketball. Last pack on the shelf at my local shop. I bought it and hit a LeBron James triple patch #/15. I sold it on Ebay for $150.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts