Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1940s "Scored" Scorecard pickup-with a HUGE BONUS!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
So I've posted before how I love to pickup old scorecards that feature Doerr from back in the day. Prefer that they are scored and generally look for game in which Doerr made a big play ie home run, got only hit of the game off Bob Feller, etc. They have to be at the right price as well as some of them are just listed at bananaland prices due to a lot featuring Ted Williams.

Well one was listed a few weeks ago which definitely made me pause. It was a partially scored scorecard from a Boston Red Sox vs Boston Bees (eventually the Boston & Atlanta Braves). The two teams didn't play that year so must of been a exhibition game before the season, but still looked good. It was also signed by Bobby Doerr, said it came with with a JSA COA but had no picture documentation of it. The sig looked good so I put in a best offer and it was accepted.

Finally got a chance to examine it today and boy is it better than expected. Check out this beauty-great condition considering its 75 years old.

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1445693467.751053.jpg
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1445693477.314452.jpg

What about the front with the Doerr signature you ask? Well as it turns out I wasn't being totally honest above. Yes, it has Doerr's signature on the front, but it also has a teammates of his as well. Who you ask? Pesky? DiMaggio? Tebbetts? Nope, No, and Nada. I'll let the pics speak for themselves...

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1445693623.588702.jpg
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1445693633.942254.jpg
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1445693648.651096.jpg

Yes folks that is signed by Ted Williams himself! This is without a doubt the centerpiece to my non-card Doerr collection. The LOA from JSA that unexpectedly came with it helps a lot as well. All is took was a little leap of faith, risk and not even $150 bucks! I'll take that any day!

Thanks for looking!

Jeff

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Very cool scorecard, but with the vintage autographs it's even a better piece... Congrats and thanks for sharing!

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Bumping this up as I referenced it in a thread earlier today-still marvel at how great the piece is!

FYI [MENTION=7150]scotty216brs[/MENTION]

Thanks,
Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

WOW what an amazing piece, Jeff!!! :eek: How can you beat that price as well?!!

That was a pretty good team, huh? Doerr, Williams, Foxx, Cronin, Dimaggio....I believe I have a vintage card from most every player on that team that has one, minus Grove.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
There is nothing cooler than a period piece with two vintage autographs of hall of famers.

And would you look at the names that were a part of that game??? That is like a Field of Dreams moment to see that game.

Congrats on your pick up.

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
Thanks everyone-still in awe that I lucked out with it last year! Eventually want to get around to sending it to PSA for double verification, but haven't had a chance yet.

The Red Sox line up is incredible especially for an exhibition game! The Bees, well not so much lol.

Thanks,
Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Members online

Latest posts