Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[Featured Thread] What constitutes a "prime" game-used

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Wow, really cool read, thanks for posting. Interesting topic. It also takes me back to the mid-90s when all this started and baseball cards were still a hobby where you went to a card store, purchased packs and hoped to pull the rare card... not to mention purchase a Beckett to READ and track your card prices, etc. Loved those days... miss those days.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
When it comes to game-used glove leather cards, do you guys consider lace holes or wording prime? To me, stitching or lace holes are not prime, but wording is. So first card I wouldn't pay a premium, but second one I would.

edgar01UDGG.jpg
smith01UDGG.jpg

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
When it comes to game-used glove leather cards, do you guys consider lace holes or wording prime? To me, stitching or lace holes are not prime, but wording is. So first card I wouldn't pay a premium, but second one I would.

edgar01UDGG.jpg
smith01UDGG.jpg

Wow that's really tough on the gloves. I might only consider prime on a glove the rawlings tag attached to the glove. But I would bid and pay according to eye appeal for the separate pieces.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA

edgar01UDGG.jpg
smith01UDGG.jpg

I'd actually prefer a plain leather swatch to one with lace holes, I don't like the way they look. I'd consider wording to be "prime", but not as good as the manufacturer logo.

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
What about bat cards? There's none listed or defined as prime..what about a card like this though
IMG_20160219_133210.jpg
Does the writing/stamp on this justify it as prime? Would a barrel or outside piece of the bat be prime? They're both certainly better looking and more unique than a regular bat piece

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I think it is clear the definition of "prime" has and does change when you go from older releases to newer... as well as from product to product. That is my opinion.

I think if it is a special piece which might not have another like it in that particular release, that can be prime. Here is an example of where the top card is just basic wood from the inner part of the bat... the second is a white jersey piece (looks like the other side of it had a patch at one point) but the third card at the bottom clearly has a Russell patch on part of it and other neat detail which is not on any other card and it is /99 which shows it is just a special piece that made it in.

4A91F7E7-1485-4032-B255-C3C96B5562A8-7609-000003C87BD0E678.jpg

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I've seen some of these ball cards with just a piece of baseball, but to me this is a prime piece..

2000-Griffey-GU-Ball1.jpg

Here's another "Prime" piece where you have multi colors of a patch or lettering..

moyer-patch.jpg

moyer-patch-a.jpg

another card I enjoy.. even has the word patch on the back of the card..

buhner-leg-lineage-1.jpg
buhner-leg-lineage-2.jpg

Here's another "Prime" piece..

prime-5a.jpg

I wish more companies put on the card where the patch came from..

prime2a.jpg

Especially when you get some 1/1's..sometimes you just want to go "really" they could have done better..

05prime.jpg

But then you see another one that you think looks good..

05prime-auto.jpg
mlb.jpg

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I think lace holes in Gloves have good eye appeal so I like them. The writing is better though. And yes Brad, I hate when labeled Prime Pieces are far from it. [MENTION=12548]psj[/MENTION] for some reason I think that is just the marking from Panini if I recall the topic correctly.

Ryan

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
I think lace holes in Gloves have good eye appeal so I like them. The writing is better though. And yes Brad, I hate when labeled Prime Pieces are far from it. [MENTION=12548]psj[/MENTION] for some reason I think that is just the marking from Panini if I recall the topic correctly.

Ryan

Ahh, I've had other bat pieces from other companies with writing/stamps on them, but its might just be the same deal :)

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Ahh, I've had other bat pieces from other companies with writing/stamps on them, but its might just be the same deal :)

Don't quote me 100%. But from what I remember, those styles of stamps were inventory markings.

Ryan

Rabs

Jan 25, 2011
Land O Lakes, FL
If someone could explain to me what part of a Braves jersey this is from that would be great cause I have no clue:

Craig Kimbrel 2012 Topps Museum Collection Signature Swatches Triple Relic Autographs CK /175
AU | MEM | NFT | Serial Number: 169/175

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts