Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do you collect known fakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
What do the 4 different backs look like? What happens under the light?

Ryan

The most common is the glow about 1/2. If you check out the thread by [MENTION=7453]mouschi[/MENTION] it is the Nick Esasky card. Then then about a 1/4 looks like the Craig Biggio and then about 1/4 looks like either John Smoltz or Dave Rhode, I dont really see the difference in those two. I have found one glow that isn't quite the same as the rest and I have found one that has a printing error on the back. If I can figure out a way to take some pics I will post them shortly.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I can only post one picture at a time on mobile so bear with me. First the most common "the glow"

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1446421975.109319.jpg

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
The "other glow". Just have one of these, it's darker than the rest of the glows and the 40 logo isn't as noticeable as the glows

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1446422031.688672.jpg

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Here is the stacks I have checked so far, you can see the tell stack glows even on the edges, the single card stack of the dark glow, the bottom left hand stack are the red backs and the bottom right are the blue backs

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1446422258.950353.jpg

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
And if you are interested in the one printing flaw I have found so far, here it is. There is a circle between Topps and the card number, saw it because I heard on the D sheet they have a pink number variation that I was looking for but my eyes are going bad after all this today lol

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1446422944.830270.jpg

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Here is the stacks I have checked so far, you can see the tell stack glows even on the edges, the single card stack of the dark glow, the bottom left hand stack are the red backs and the bottom right are the blue backs

View attachment 56516

very interesting! i wish i could see the difference between the red and blue backs. i have not heard of this before ever.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Anyone with a simple "copy" stamp can make those cards in mass. If they were original, it was not meant with collectibility in mind, that is for sure.

The 63 Rose counterfeit card is one that has a fan base of it's own. I'd probably buy a fake copy of a card if it were priced appropriately, as long as it was clear and I could tell the difference between real and fake. It would be for the novelty effect only. The issue is, most of the time a decent fake is priced as an original, so there are no deals to be had.

I like your name. I just bought a 2012 Charger. Cardinals red.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Somehow missed this thread before. Neat.

The only fake collectible I have, AFAIK, is a counterfeit Cerebus #1 . Cerebus was one of the first independent comic books produced, starting in 1977. Independent in that it was owned and published by the guy who created, wrote, and drew it, not from Marvel, DC, Gold Key, or any of the other comics publishers of the day. Anyway, it took off and before long the #1 issue started to be worth real money, about $50 or so at the time of the counterfeiting, as I recall. Only 2000 copies were printed, and Cerebus peaked around 30,000 monthly copies, so prices continued to climb through the 90s and early 00s. Cerebus #1 was also fairly crudely printed in black and white, with red added on the cover, and someone created a similarly-crudely printed counterfeit comic. It's easy to tell the difference if you know what to look for. The counterfeit was always something of a curiosity, and, being a rabid Cerebus collector, when I found one in a shop I bought it. The dealer was completely above-board with it and I bought it knowing full-well it was not a real #1 . To me, it's an oddity that I feel really helps complete my collection. I've heard there is a batch of counterfeit #2s , but never came across one.

Members online

Latest posts