Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So I always think about this....What happens to our collections if we pass away?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I'll leave my message boards passwords with my kids, it will be up to them to keep or sell

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
Not sure how I found this thread, but wow! morbid, practical, complicated and interesting all in the same viewing!

I have no idea how to tackle this. I know "exit strategy" is something I've chatted with folks about, but this isnt the exit that was in mind I guess.

I would likely will all my cards to my son under the guidance of my wife, and have her sell only through a close card-collecting friend if my son said he didn't want them. I have some stuff other Clemens collectors might want a crack at, but I've never collected for "value" or money or thoughts of "cashing out". I guess I should leave some sort of Excel sheet with some context clues about value for them so they can't get burned on the small group of cards I do have that bring decent $.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
I've been thinking about what to do with my collection over the past few weeks. I know my collection isn't worth a great deal of money. Some pre-war cards I have and a few sets I have are worth some money. I don't have any kids. And the one nephew I would give my collection to doesn't know the 1st thing about collecting. I have a brother who I won't give it to. He would sell it just to make money on. (He's greedy :eek:) All my other nephews and nieces, are pretty much out of the question too.

Last edited:

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
Not sure how I found this thread, but wow! morbid, practical, complicated and interesting all in the same viewing!

I have no idea how to tackle this. I know "exit strategy" is something I've chatted with folks about, but this isnt the exit that was in mind I guess.

I would likely will all my cards to my son under the guidance of my wife, and have her sell only through a close card-collecting friend if my son said he didn't want them. I have some stuff other Clemens collectors might want a crack at, but I've never collected for "value" or money or thoughts of "cashing out". I guess I should leave some sort of Excel sheet with some context clues about value for them so they can't get burned on the small group of cards I do have that bring decent $.
rethinking...

If i get hit by a bus tomorrow, yeah, maybe a few Clemens guys want a handful of my cards..... but if I live another 30 years......who is gonna want them? because at that point, most of the clemens guys will be my age or .......older! i dont see any young guys (under 35 now) even caring to have the stuff i have. so, it's stands a possibility that there wont really be much to fret over, because it will all be worthless.................. yay?

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
The stuff worth worrying about is all itemized and either graded or labeled to make it easy for my wife and kids to go through it. All of these items are part of my collectibles insurance policy that I have to keep up to date so there should be a decent idea of value for them if/when.

My son attends most shows with me and knows what dealers to reach out to if they need to move my collection in case of an issue. Honestly our group of dealers around here is close enough that 3 or 4 would likely reach out before he or my wife had to do so and they'd be treated more than fairly.

My dad and brother-in-law both collect as well so they've got plenty of safety nets there depending on who is still around when I kick it.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
My collection might bring six figures if I pieced it out card by card, but it's so bottom-heavy with 50 cent to $5 cards that it would be a ton of work. If the whole collection was sold at once it would bring a small fraction of that. I don't have any children or nieces/nephews to pass it on to. If I live to be 90 it would be pretty silly to keep the tens of thousands of cards up until the day I die, so I may end up significantly downsizing it by selling off a lot of stuff at some point after retirement.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Interesting topic. I have pretty much everything priced in an Access Database, so my family should be able to get a decent idea of what I have. The problem is that I don't track quantities I have of each item, so the total amount in my database is $125,000 but it is probably two to three times that amount.

The other thing I'm not sure how to quantify is my website. If you google "Kirby Puckett pricelist", my site comes up as one of the first hits and it's that way for most of the superstars of that era. I have no clue how the site would be valued though.

I should probably start compiling a list of potential buyers that would be interested in buying the inventory, database and website, but I am not sure they even exist.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
There is a chance that collecting as we see it today may end much sooner than we think. Lots of people are gobbling up mantle, Mays, Paige and the big names, but I also think a lot of these people are older. lots of people have come back into cards since the pandemic shut everyone inside for an extended period. Stirred lots of passion for some.

If there are people to collect current players, will we ever see people fighting over Randy Johnson, Barry bonds or Mike trout cards the way we do for other past legends? The high end stuff is another big question. Will there be people willing to drop $100K on a rare Jordan card in 20-30 years? Maybe...maybe not. I am fairly confident that boxes and boxes of 25 cent to $2-3 cards are NOT going to be a hot commodity for anyone in the not too far distant future, the way I see collectors acting now.

It seems like a really good time for older collectors to consider selling off to the Covid collectors, as this opportunity may never come around again. on the flip side, people have been talking the end of card collecting for years. maybe 30 years from now, it's even stronger than ever. I tend to doubt it, but you never know...

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
There is a chance that collecting as we see it today may end much sooner than we think. Lots of people are gobbling up mantle, Mays, Paige and the big names, but I also think a lot of these people are older. lots of people have come back into cards since the pandemic shut everyone inside for an extended period. Stirred lots of passion for some.

If there are people to collect current players, will we ever see people fighting over Randy Johnson, Barry bonds or Mike trout cards the way we do for other past legends? The high end stuff is another big question. Will there be people willing to drop $100K on a rare Jordan card in 20-30 years? Maybe...maybe not. I am fairly confident that boxes and boxes of 25 cent to $2-3 cards are NOT going to be a hot commodity for anyone in the not too far distant future, the way I see collectors acting now.

It seems like a really good time for older collectors to consider selling off to the Covid collectors, as this opportunity may never come around again. on the flip side, people have been talking the end of card collecting for years. maybe 30 years from now, it's even stronger than ever. I tend to doubt it, but you never know...
I don't know. I had a 15 or 16 year old kid set down an Apache case stuffed to the gills with Mantles, Jordans, Mays, and other vintage last weekend at our local show. He wasn't flipping either. He was collecting. We'll just have to see I guess.

There are a lot of guys in their 20s flipping vintage around here but there are a lot of younger people collecting it too. Guys my age (40s) seem to be be infatuated with the 80s and 90s stuff we were chasing when were were kids. I sell $300-400 in low end '90s inserts every show I can put that much 90s stuff I don't want on the table.

Last edited:

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
I don't know. I had a 15 or 16 year old kid set down an Apache case stuffed to the gills with Mantles, Jordans, Mays, and other vintage last weekend at our local show. He wasn't flipping either. He was collecting. We'll just have to see I guess.

There are a lot of guys in their 20s flipping vintage around here but there are a lot of younger people collecting it too. Guys my age (40s) seem to be be infatuated with the 80s and 90s stuff we were chasing when were were kids. I sell $300-400 in low end '90s inserts every show I can put that much 90s stuff I don't want on the table.
Agree. Major hype around the 80s and mostly 90s stuff now that the 40 somethings are in possession of enough money. Lots of flippers making good bank on us too.l the last few years. I doubt it transfers like Vintage does to the succeeding generations though. And my guy is right in the thick of it, hence I think once me and my ilk are gone, there's little upside to collections like mine if you weren't the person who got enjoyment from having the cards.

Last edited:

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I have been slowly selling my cards now that the players I collected are getting the attention they deserve.. (Edgar, Buhner, some guy named Griffey)

I created an Edgar Martinez Collectors FB page so that other Edgar collectors can get my more rarer cards and I belong to a few other groups that you post the cards, and some members reach out to buy them. Win Win situation.

This question has come up every few years as we see one of the members we have known passes away.

Good luck with downsizing your collections.. :)

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
I created this thread an unbelievable EIGHT YEARS AGO and I’m glad it was resurrected. I’m hoping all the members of this site are alive & well but I’m sure that’s not the case. All of our collections have most likely grown and have gone up in value. Luckily my son’s are 18 & 15 now and both collect so that puts me & my wife at ease.

1manvs1world

Jul 30, 2023
San Diego
I have sorted and labeled my collection beginning with rookie year or xrc and then whether they are graded or not. Then I sorted out each product alphabetically. I’ve only collected Vlad Guerrero Sr. so I was able to do so with very little stress. Most of all I don’t want to burden my kids with not knowing what they should do or how to go about it

deadman31

Sep 15, 2010
It’s sad but my son wants nothing to do with my Griffey collection so I am not sure what will happen but I’ll be dead so it is what it is.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Detail organization is the key if you are leaving it to anyone. Without that, it might end up on Facebook marketplace!

Members online

Latest posts