Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mid January FCB Hot List is up! Come read it!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
griffey.jpg

Ken Griffey Jr – Certifiable proof that %.07 of hall of fame voters are out of their minds was given when Griffey enters Cooperstown with a record setting percentage of the vote. The response from the collectors community was are sounding YES, but the announcement might as well of been made by Captain Obvious as collectors showed us that the value of Griffey cards already included the hall of fame premium. Still, any hot list his close to the induction that does not start with Griffey is a joke.

Mike Piazza – Not a lock like Griffey but certainly notable is the inclusion of Mike Piazza in the Hall of Fame. A long career at a grueling position on both coasts earned him the ultimate honor in his sport. His 1992 Bowman saw a small bump from $60 to $80 in PSA 10 slabs.

AJ Reed – An absolute wrecking ball in 2015 across two levels, very few prospects saw their stock improve this year like AJ Reed. His performance has people thinking back to the Bagwell era in Houston. Good timing too because they had a great major league 2015 with several young stars like Carlos Correa, Jose Altuve and George Springer look to be a solid core in Houston as long as they can keep the salaries under control. His 2014 Bowman chrome auto is up from $30 to $40 as people prep for his call up. He's still an outstanding buy at $40 provided you think he can keep up with big league pitching. That's a gamble you have to take with pretty much any prospect though.

Dansby Swanson – Getting traded to a more established hobby fan base has it's perks. People holding Dansby Swanson bowman chrome autographs realized this as they cashed in on the trade that sent him from Arizona to Atlanta in the Shelby Miller trade. His chrome autos went from $40 clear to $95 with parallels seeing significant bumps as well. All of this without swinging a bat.

Austin Riley – Leave it to me to put another Brave on here after Swanson. After the rebuilding process we as fans have been through I think we deserve it though. It feels good to have a farm system again. The braves took a big but still athletic corner infielder in this years June draft in Austin Riley. He played extremely well in his first professional season in Danville as an 18 year old showing more than just a flash of power. His bowman chrome autographs saw $20 at release and have been climbing since then to around the $30 mark they are at now. Some of his value is tied to him playing in the infield. Due to his size, I'm not so sure that is going to happen.

Steph Curry is entering some rare air. Statistically he's the best player in the NBA right now. As far as entertainment value goes he might also be the most fun to watch.(http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...ns-a-treat-with-pre-game-dribbling-exhibition) Some of his rookie autographs remain in the affordable range such as his court kings auto at about $150. His Exquisite has almost doubled from the $700 range clear to $1400. Keep in mind that if he is the best player in the NBA, $1400 is a bargain.

Cam Newton – Lots of unexpected things happened in the NFL this year. My Falcons tanked and Carolina almost went undefeated. I say almost because of another unexpected thing, as they fell to the Falcons for their only loss with Julio Jones making a catch over Luke Kuechly that no one saw coming. Well no one except those that saw a linebacker trying to cover Julio. Along with a nearly unbeaten team Cam had the stats to back it up. 45 total touch downs and a career best 92.2 QBR is an outstanding leap forward for a guy looking to join elite company like Tom Brady and company. He's also got the best team and a bye week heading into the NFL playoffs so if he wins that super bowl you will be glad that you paid $400 for that chrome auto while kicking yourself that it was $200 in November.

John Boyega Topps Autographs – I feel like if FN-2199 AKA TR-8R had an autograph in the set it would be just as hot. One would expect that an autograph card from a featured actor in the best selling film of all time from the best movie franchise of all time would maintain the $500 to $600 price tag that his cards in this set are bringing. Card number 108 is impressive as well as it's a $30 base card of the new Jedi Rey. Let's just callher Rey Skywalker for now as that might be a good guess.

Edit: Rey autographs do exist, they run $2,000. Wow.

bouyega.jpg

Inquisition of Kozilek – Magic the Gathering is a bit of an unpredictable beast. New cards can cause some older cards to all the sudden be viable as a core part of either the new strategy or the counter strategy for whatever steps up as the new top tier deck in various formats. Sometimes however it's because of what they don't print. With the new Oath of the Gatewatch set coming out people thought that a much needed reprint might come forward in an uncommon from Rize of the Eldrazi that was at an extremely high $8. Note that this is an uncommon, they fall at arate of 3 per booster pack. In most sets that means you can reasonably expect 2 for every box that gets opened. When it became apparent that it wasn't going to get a reprint this much used hand disruption card shot up to $25.

Not so Hot

Andrew Luck – The sky is not falling. It is not time to dump Andrew Luck cards. He's still the same talented Quarterback he was last year and next year he should be right back up there with the elite. Injury and a down year for the colts put him near the bottom of most quarterback metrics this season as the colts turned to an ancient Matt Hasslebeck to limp out the season and get a coach fired. Now is the time to buy on Andrew Luck as his Contenders autographs are down from $950 to $650.

Johnny Manziel – Nothing can be saidabout Manziel that hasn't already been said. The party animal whoseems to want to self destruct in a wig and fake mustache. He does excel when plays break down. However as Mike Golic says, no one enters the huddle and calls “busted play on 2”. Honestly guys as fun as he is to watch, as exciting as the prospect of him in Dallas is it's time to punt. List that Topps Triple Threads autograph on eBay and get your $26. Don't have one to list? Comment on this article and I'll give one of you your own copy to list. Drawing will take place Friday.

manziel.jpg

Last edited:

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
Great write up. I love that it is not all baseball and even non sport inclusive.

Almost as if someone who understand the hobby and its trends wrote it...

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Great write up. I love that it is not all baseball and even non sport inclusive.

Almost as if someone who understand the hobby and its trends wrote it...

UPa1QZ1.gif

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
I should note that if you got bulk cards laying around from Rize of the Eldrazi you might have several Inquisition of Kozileks in there. It wasn't valuable when the set was out.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Very well done, the only minor complaint I have is when talking about Riley you say "leave it to me to put another Brave on here after Swanson" but Riley's write up comes before Swanson's...like I said minor. Like others said, love the inclusion of other sports/types of cards. Look forward to more!

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Very well done, the only minor complaint I have is when talking about Riley you say "leave it to me to put another Brave on here after Swanson" but Riley's write up comes before Swanson's...like I said minor. Like others said, love the inclusion of other sports/types of cards. Look forward to more!

When I wrote it the order was flopped, I suppose I could fix that though.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Was expecting Christie Brinkley in it. Disappointed.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Honestly without seeing Jeter on the list I am not sure how accurate the list is his rare cards sell for a lot all the time. Much more than Griffey and I am not knocking Griffey prices at all. Example would be a 1998 Select card last one I remember Griffey selling for a few months ago was just under $400.00 and the Jeter not long after went over $800.00. I understand that he is popular right now but was there any doubt he was heading in the Hall of Fame? Ken Griffey, Derek Jeter, Lebron James, should all be on the all time hot list I am sure we can add other names in the mix but I was just mentioning 3 for starters.

Members online

Latest posts