Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

To Peel or Not to Peel? That is the Question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I know it has been discussed before, but I can't find any threads about it. Plan on sending cards for grading to preserve them as I'm keeping them. Do they look better? Grade better? Cards in question are 97 Platinum Gold, 99 Finest Gold Refractor, 96 Mirror Blue.

Gracias for any input.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
They often grade better without the coating for 2 reasons: the coating protects the actual card surface, and the coating scratches very easily as it's only a thin film. I see no reason to ever not peel the 1996 Certified, as the coating serves no purpose and many don't even know they have them. With Finest and the 97 Certified, on the other hand, the coating is almost part of the card and many prefer they not be peeled. But if they're PC, I would peel if the coating has any scratches/imperfections

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
1996 Select peels tend to have bubbles and scratches......but they are tough to peel. I suggest working with a few commons first so you dont damage a MB Rickey.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I looked at the 99 Finest Gold Refractor I just got and it looks like the peel is coming off one of the points. The peel does say peel and remove film.

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
If you only have 1 and it's staying in the PC, peel it. One of my graded cards in my PC is not peeled and it annoys the sh*t out of me every time I look at it, so much so I've considered busting it, peeling it and sending it back in to get graded again.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
1998pinnaclegold.jpg

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I'd say unpeeled is best. The way I look at it, it's your PC but eventually it will get back into circulation if you decide to sell or whatever. At that point, you've altered the card. You may think "Oh well, it's my card". With a base common, I'd agree as there is more than enough supply to satisfy demand. With a limited card, you change it and it is now possibly "ruined" in the eyes of other collectors. In all reality it's not as it was created at that point. One person does this? No big deal. If a lot more feel that way, all of a sudden we've taken a rare card and changed it to suit our own purposes. Tanner(mouschi) said it the other day, some of these things are like art. Granted the rare art and historical pieces are generally 1/1's but it would be a bad world if the folks who own such items changed them to suit their fancy.

With that said, I'm not even a fan of taking some of the cards people send to Tanner and making custom pieces. If it's a rare card, as some of them have been, it's been destroyed. 20 years down the road, some poor sap may be looking for it as if it still exists.

Take care of your cards.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I say leave the peel on! Sure it looks better, but cards are not made to be looked at. They're made to be sealed tight in a box, on a shelf, in a closet!
On a serious note, I do leave peels on. I am collecting the card as it comes from the pack. Remember those "Mystery Finest" with the black peels? Those are the only ones I have with the peel off, but I have found a few extra copies with peel still on! Those gotta be fairly rare, right?

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Take a 97 mirror gold peel it then put it in a penny sleeve then to top load. Now take it out. The card is micro scratched and will never be in mint state.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I say leave the peel on! Sure it looks better, but cards are not made to be looked at. They're made to be sealed tight in a box, on a shelf, in a closet!
On a serious note, I do leave peels on. I am collecting the card as it comes from the pack. Remember those "Mystery Finest" with the black peels? Those are the only ones I have with the peel off, but I have found a few extra copies with peel still on! Those gotta be
fairly rare, right?

" Remember those "Mystery Finest" with the black peels?"
Those are awesome and very rare. I love them.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
On a serious note, I do leave peels on. I am collecting the card as it comes from the pack. Remember those "Mystery Finest" with the black peels? Those are the only ones I have with the peel off, but I have found a few extra copies with peel still on! Those gotta be fairly rare, right?

I'm not a peeler here either

Members online

Latest posts