Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So I need a new consigner.....any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Well recent claims have been searching for a new consigner. I have reached out to [MENTION=1897]jcmint[/MENTION] but he had not responded. Who else can be trusted? Good rates?

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Reach out to Cavalier Cards in Charlottesville VA. They do a ton of consigning. They are not active on here but are active on BO if you want to hit them up that way.

They used to be my LCS and I certainly would trust them. No idea on rates through.

GL

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I think the point of this thread is that George would rather not work with someone who is habitually unethical.

Seems to me the issue is people shilling their own ebay consignments. They are the ones lacking ethics. If consignors were to block them as bidders, then they can't bid on anything else the consignor is selling, right? That doesn't seem like sound business. And they certainly can't endlessly cancel bids. It would never end. They have thousands of listings at any given moment. We can't expect them to be able to police everything all the time. To me, ebay consignment shilling is something that can barely be dealt with so it should just be accepted as part of it. It's nearly impossible for consignors to police it without shooting themselves in the feet. I wouldn't personally shill my own consignments, but I certainly get why it happens, and I don't blame the consignors at all. I blame the people doing it. There is almost nothing that can be done about it. It happens with EVERY consignor, so I guess just sell your own stuff if you believe that ebay consignment shilling is defensible.

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Seems to me the issue is people shilling their own ebay consignments. They are the ones lacking ethics. If consignors were to block them as bidders, then they can't bid on anything else the consignor is selling, right? That doesn't seem like sound business. And they certainly can't endlessly cancel bids. It would never end. They have thousands of listings at any given moment. We can't expect them to be able to police everything all the time. To me, ebay consignment shilling is something that can barely be dealt with so it should just be accepted as part of it. It's nearly impossible for consignors to police it without shooting themselves in the feet. I wouldn't personally shill my own consignments, but I certainly get why it happens, and I don't blame the consignors at all. I blame the people doing it. There is almost nothing that can be done about it. It happens with EVERY consignor, so I guess just sell your own stuff if you believe that ebay consignment shilling is defensible.

It's basically this for me as well. Unless there is evidence the consignors are bidding up items themselves, I don't have issues with them. I don't expect them to monitor bids. I do expect them to look into things that are reported to them as shady. If they handle those situations well, then that's what matters IMO.

Ryan

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
Question, why do people use consigners so much in this hobby? I've always just sold my stuff direct without any issues.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I would just sell on my own Dave (smalltraditions) is the only other I have cosigned with on his auction house and did pretty well.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I disagree. I buy high end items all the time. I could care less if I buy from a consigner or someone with zero feedback. I don't change my amount I bid based on the seller.

The thing is, some of these consignors offer so much that there are bidders out there who specifically look at these listings. So these consignors have more eyeballs that others may. Across the board you probably could look and see that major sellers bring in higher bids. I agree with you , it shouldn't matter who is selling the card, but it seems like it does. In the 90s thread there was just a reference yesterday where a Pedro card buy another seller ended at $30, same card by Probstein just ended at $80ish.

Ryan

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
The thing is, some of these consignors offer so much that there are bidders out there who specifically look at these listings. So these consignors have more eyeballs that others may. Across the board you probably could look and see that major sellers bring in higher bids. I agree with you , it shouldn't matter who is selling the card, but it seems like it does. In the 90s thread there was just a reference yesterday where a Pedro card buy another seller ended at $30, same card by Probstein just ended at $80ish.

Ryan
(because it was shilled...:D) I will never buy from Probstein again, (and I know this does not affect him in the least) regardless of the card. I stay away from BigBoyd for the same reason. Just an ethical thing, not that I am better or worse than anyone else, nor do I care if others still love the guy. For me its an easy decision.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Why use a consigner and pay a fee? Sell it yourself.
I use Probstien on PSA items since they are easy to list and hard to F-up the listing. The fees (eBay and selling) through a consigner are lower than my straight eBay fees due to their volume discount.....plus the big cats get more eyes, see PWCC, Probstei, etc....

For the record, I have a 100+ card early GU set that I want to move and I know that not ever consigner wants to deal with that type of stuff.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I've used Rick (Probstein) and will continue to do so. With reduced eBay fees he's cheaper than when I sell myself.

As far as shilling and higher prices, I know I never shilled my listings and many of my cards sold above average when he listed for me (some were below average but overall solid)

The shilling is not cool but at the end of the day I'm not sure what a consigner can do. It's a room full of people listing items for the hundreds (or thousands) of people who asked them to consign. I doubt the average worker there has any idea who the consigner even was for a given item and I don't see (although I may be wrong) how to reasonably police it.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
These consignors IMHO don't want to deal with shills and don't want to go through the hassle of listing , getting fees back , relisting etc. they want to turn the product over get their cut and move on. They don't really care what the item sells for. Again, unless the consignors are part if the shill or aren't listening to complaints when shills are obvious, I don't expect them to police bids. It falls on those doing the shilling. To not get screwed,bid what your comfortable with. If you lose, oh well. If you won fair and square, great. If you won or lost and the auction was shilled, at least you didn't pay more than you had planned on so you don't get hurt that way. And if you have evidence items are shilled, report it.

Ryan

Members online