Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

"Megatron" retirement appears likely...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
"Schefty" is reporting that Calvin Johnson has informed the Lions he plans to retire.

Maybe it's too early to say for sure, but wow, that's a bit of a head-scratcher....

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Why is it a head scratcher?

Look what they put their bodies through.

Look at the players falling apart mentally and physically in the last few years.

Because it isn't common for some to go out when they are still one of the bests and haven't had a major injury...

Ryan

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Yes, it's completely uncommon to go out on top of your game, even though your squad is a perennial dumpster fire ...

... oh, wait, did someone mention Barry Sanders ??? Robert Smith ? Patrick Willis ? Hmmm ...

Good for Megatron.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Because it isn't common for some to go out when they are still one of the bests and haven't had a major injury...

Exactly!

Alot of guys have to be pulled kicking and screaming outta their Unis. And not just 'cuz of the Money.

Plus, although they've stumbled this year, Detroit does seem to be headed upwards...

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Yes, it's completely uncommon to go out on top of your game, even though your squad is a perennial dumpster fire ...

... oh, wait, did someone mention Barry Sanders ??? Robert Smith ? Patrick Willis ? Hmmm ...

Good for Megatron.

That's quite a long list... 3 players and two of those were 16-17 years ago. I'd consider that uncommon.

Ryan

AmishDave

Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
That's quite a long list... 3 players and two of those were 16-17 years ago. I'd consider that uncommon.

Ryan

Gale Sayers ... Jim Brown ... Chris Borland. I know there's more. Not everyone wants to die at 50 and have difficulty walking for the rest of their days, no less at the age of 40. And, if the team isn't doing enough to improve and says, "Hey, I've made enough money. I've showcased my talents enough. There's no point in continuing and floundering in mediocrity and jeopardizing my health."

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Gale Sayers ... Jim Brown ... Chris Borland. I know there's more. Not everyone wants to die at 50 and have difficulty walking for the rest of their days, no less at the age of 40. And, if the team isn't doing enough to improve and says, "Hey, I've made enough money. I've showcased my talents enough. There's no point in continuing and floundering in mediocrity and jeopardizing my health."

This.

You will see this become more and more common in the coming years.

These guys now know the **** show that their lives might become.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

Yes, I'm not arguing the reasons at all. But you added a few players going back 30+ years now. I just was referencing the "why is it head-scratching" with it isn't common. And you list of 5 people in 40 years kinda proves that point. I'm not blaming them, but it is rare, not that it won't change to become more common.

Ryan

AmishDave

Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Yes, I'm not arguing the reasons at all. But you added a few players going back 30+ years now. I just was referencing the "why is it head-scratching" with it isn't common. And you list of 5 people in 40 years kinda proves that point. I'm not blaming them, but it is rare, not that it won't change to become more common.

Ryan

We'll agree to disagree.

For me, it's more head scratching to me to hold on until you're in your mid 30's and end up dead at 50. Wes Welker types. Gunners on special teams. And, again, one of my all time faves hung on far too long ... #55 for the Bolts. Let's remember what happened to him.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
We'll agree to disagree.

For me, it's more head scratching to me to hold on until you're in your mid 30's and end up dead at 50. Wes Welker types. Gunners on special teams. And, again, one of my all time faves hung on far too long ... #55 for the Bolts. Let's remember what happened to him.

I'm not arguing at all that I think it's wiser to go out before its taken to big a toll on you. I'm just saying I think it's more common for those to hold on, but that doesn't mean I think that makes the most sense. Before Calvin said he may retire, nobody was saying Calvin Johnson should retire, that's why this is "head scratching" or different.

Ryan

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I think it's team related more than anything if he was on a better team he would not retire. I am sure he would stick around a few more years for a ring if he was on say Green Bay, Seattle, Arizona to name a few. But he is on Detroit and he knows there going no where. I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves for a year and comes back on a different team.

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
He probably realizes he won't win in Detroit and doesn't want to risk any more wear and tear on his body for just being a regular season player. Kudos to players like him, Barry Sanders & Robert Smith.

Members online

Latest posts