Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Are These Considered Variations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
To all those that collect variations, would these be considered as such?

IMG_20160222_0001.jpgIMG_20160222_0002.jpg

Grey relic swatch......2014 Heritage......White relic swatch

IMG_20160222_0004grey.jpgIMG_20160222_0004white.jpg

Grey relic swatch........2015 A&G.......White relic swatch

No special numbering or anything.

Fordman

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I agree, I did a "jersey" variation of the 2006 BCPD collection years ago and that was fun to put together. Yellow, Red, Black, etc.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
most definitely - and i take them a step further than simply color.....

solid material - mesh material = 2 different
solid material - material with seam = 2 different

i also consider the vast majority of multi-color swatches as different unless they are virtually identical...

i find it rather curious though that beckett DOES consider them different for SOME cards (check emmitt smith and shaquille o'neal fleer feel the games from 2000) though not for MOST cards

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
YES! Every variation in color is to me.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I know they are mostly the same color but when you had a couple of Rum & Cokes and the auction is about to end, they look different colors :D

attachment.php

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I will do that with base jersey pieces that are differing colors and will also do that for signature cards that have different inscriptions too. Garvey often signs with a "6" but then will leave it off too.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Guess I'm in the minority, but I don't consider one-color jersey differences a variation. Or pinstripe vs. non-pinstripe. If a jersey card is available in white or gray, I don't sweat having one of both.

Ashburn Alley

Aug 10, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Guess I'm in the minority, but I don't consider one-color jersey differences a variation. Or pinstripe vs. non-pinstripe. If a jersey card is available in white or gray, I don't sweat having one of both.

Agreed. I usually only pick one unless I find another color or white with pinstripe cheap on COMC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I have 6 different versions of some of the early Fleer GU, and that's not counting the patches you could also find in these products. If different color swatches exist, you have to have them!

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008

Those were the ones! That was a fun year. I tried to do the full rainbow+patch of all of them but I think I fell short by about 10 patches before trading that entire master collection away (all the autos, jeresys, base, etc).

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I consider differences in what is printed on the card to be a legitimately recognizable variation, not the color of a jersey, which is random and not designed to be like that. That is, if you were filling in a checklist, any color jersey would be acceptable. However, I still pick them up if I spot them. For instance, 2003 Bowman Draft has this jersey set:
s-l500.jpg

But there is a small area of blue/black under the armpit that is on a small number of cards:
s-l500.jpg

I'd get them both if I could find one that doesn't use a stock pic. So far I've not.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
I consider differences in what is printed on the card to be a legitimately recognizable variation, not the color of a jersey, which is random and not designed to be like that. That is, if you were filling in a checklist, any color jersey would be acceptable. However, I still pick them up if I spot them. For instance, 2003 Bowman Draft has this jersey set:
s-l500.jpg

But there is a small area of blue/black under the armpit that is on a small number of cards:
s-l500.jpg

I'd get them both if I could find one that doesn't use a stock pic. So far I've not.

I posted my 2006 BDP different colors but forgot I also have in 2003:

Latest posts