Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47

Thread: Who Signed The 2016 Topps Heritage Jim Owens Cards?

  1. #31
    Member mrmopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,297
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't say it was ignored. I acknowledged it and another member questioned his claim to be the real deal. The post was interesting to say the least. At first it sounded like a threat to anyone who dare try to get Owens autograph directly from Owens, then it was sunshine and rainbows about collecting his autograph.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgilmo View Post
    Are we just gonna ignore the fact that a son came here to defend his fathers honor?


    Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

  2. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say, without proof he is who he says he is, the post is worthless.
    I collect Nolan Ryan, KC Royals, Dylan Strome and AZ Coyotes

  3. #33
    Administrator cgilmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
    Posts
    35,980
     fcbsportscards
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioCollectibles View Post
    I say, without proof he is who he says he is, the post is worthless.
    I believe it.


    No other reason to make the post.


    Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Check out the FCB Community Sports Card Podcast
    Wanna host? PM Me! We would love to have YOU on the podcast.

  4. #34
    Senior Member AnthonyCorona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Posts
    7,043
     Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioCollectibles View Post
    I say, without proof he is who he says he is, the post is worthless.
    I dunno. I think unless you're a nut case there's no reason to go find that thread and then post. I doubt many people cared too much....unless the guy is your pops

    Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

  5. #35
    Featured Contributor
    Vintage Corner
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,758
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgilmo View Post
    Are we just gonna ignore the fact that a son came here to defend his fathers honor?


    Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    I think many would rather ignore the fact that the man's son came her to defend him but instead look for ways to discredit Mr. Owens son. Sure, he took exception with Therion but lets be honest, if that was my dad Therion was talking about I would be all up in his face too as it is only natural.

    As for me, I give the younger Mr. Owens a ton of credit in the world for coming on here and defending his dads honor and while I really have no use for his father's autograph as it does not fit in my collecting wheel house, I will certainly be looking for one just to have. Although I would rather have the money going to the Elder Mr. Owens, I would certainly pay him directly for an autograph if the family wants to make him available to us collectors.

  6. #36
    Member mrmopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,297
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the thread revived, I checked eBay and there were two listed for sale. Not sure how popular they were, aside from set collectors and the fanatic team collectors like Therion (and myself). I know I was trying to get Darrell Griffith, Dick New and some others when they were issued, even though they were featured on different teams, simply because they were once Dodgers and no other reason.

  7. #37
    Senior Member Therion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Looooooosiana!
    Posts
    4,741
     AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mchenrycards View Post
    I think many would rather ignore the fact that the man's son came her to defend him but instead look for ways to discredit Mr. Owens son. Sure, he took exception with Therion but lets be honest, if that was my dad Therion was talking about I would be all up in his face too as it is only natural.

    As for me, I give the younger Mr. Owens a ton of credit in the world for coming on here and defending his dads honor and while I really have no use for his father's autograph as it does not fit in my collecting wheel house, I will certainly be looking for one just to have. Although I would rather have the money going to the Elder Mr. Owens, I would certainly pay him directly for an autograph if the family wants to make him available to us collectors.
    Then you didn't read clearly. Attempting to get an autograph from his father is an assault worthy offense.

    If this is his son, and I don't have a reason to believe or doubt it, then I can understand being defensive. However, nothing I said was intended to be mean. I was stating well-known facts that have been publicly discussed by dozens of former players. Nothing about Owens' possible alcoholism makes him a bad person. Nothing about his disdain for signing autographs makes him a bad person.

    All of that has nothing to do with the fact that I do not believe Jim Owens signed those cards. The over-the-top defense of a topic that almost nobody else even cared about only solidifies my opinion. The only thing that has changed is that I now suspect it WAS Jim Owens that signed the cards, but I have no interest in the autograph of a former Astros pitcher's son.

  8. #38
    Senior Member AnthonyCorona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Posts
    7,043
     Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Therion View Post
    All of that has nothing to do with the fact that I do not believe Jim Owens signed those cards. The over-the-top defense of a topic that almost nobody else even cared about only solidifies my opinion. The only thing that has changed is that I now suspect it WAS Jim Owens that signed the cards, but I have no interest in the autograph of a former Astros pitcher's son.
    *Junior wakes up dazed*
    Junior: "Nurse, where am I?"
    Nurse: "Save your strength Mr Owens, you're in our burn unit."
    Junior *shaking a fist in air*: "Theeeeeeeerrrrrrriiiiiioooooonnnnnnn!!!!"

    Ps I've been drinking

    Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

  9. #39
    Member JVHaste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    766
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it true that Owens invented pack searching in the 90's trying to retrieve a card he accidentally signed? That's what I heard from a friend was the origin of KMart pack searching.

  10. #40
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I googled Jim Owens baseball cards and I saw the forum. I really have no reason to argue my identity, but if it will help bring some closure to the question of authenticity of my dads signature on the Topps cards then I don't mind. My name is James P Owens JR. I was born October 29 1968 in Sarasota Florida. My sisters name is Deborah Ann Owens, who does still live with my dad. My mothers name was at the time her and my father were married was Elizabeth "Lisa" Owens. I still live in the Houston area a few minuets away from dad where I grew up. Therion if your friend did supposedly go to dads to get his autograph at his home he will know dad still lives in Houston in Clear Lake City off of Ramada Dr, same street he has lived for the last 40 years. Only other info I can give that might help is my phone number 832-661-8433, what else more could you want? I have nothing to prove or to gain from helping you prove the authenticity of these cards. I just hate to see my father taking the time sign these cards and there being some doubt of the signature being authentic.

  11. #41
    Senior Member Therion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Looooooosiana!
    Posts
    4,741
     AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I totally believe you are his son now. Thorough.

    I based my statements about your father's drinking from stories I read while researching Don Wilson's "suicide" and from statements made to me by players that were around him at the time. I totally see how it would upset you, but that was not my intent.

    If you were at all interested in telling another side to the story, I'd love to add it. Drop me an e-mail at AstrosAtoZ@gmail.com. I'd also be happy to share more details of my buddy's experience and maybe you can shed some light on why your dad chased him and thousands of dollars away after agreeing to do the signing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

  12. #42
    Administrator cgilmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
    Posts
    35,980
     fcbsportscards
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Owens JR View Post
    I googled Jim Owens baseball cards and I saw the forum. I really have no reason to argue my identity, but if it will help bring some closure to the question of authenticity of my dads signature on the Topps cards then I don't mind. My name is James P Owens JR. I was born October 29 1968 in Sarasota Florida. My sisters name is Deborah Ann Owens, who does still live with my dad. My mothers name was at the time her and my father were married was Elizabeth "Lisa" Owens. I still live in the Houston area a few minuets away from dad where I grew up. Therion if your friend did supposedly go to dads to get his autograph at his home he will know dad still lives in Houston in Clear Lake City off of Ramada Dr, same street he has lived for the last 40 years. Only other info I can give that might help is my phone number 832-661-8433, what else more could you want? I have nothing to prove or to gain from helping you prove the authenticity of these cards. I just hate to see my father taking the time sign these cards and there being some doubt of the signature being authentic.
    I'd do the same thing man. You have nothing to apologize for in defending your father.

    If you say he signed those cards I've got no reason not to believe it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Check out the FCB Community Sports Card Podcast
    Wanna host? PM Me! We would love to have YOU on the podcast.

  13. #43
    Senior Member George_Calfas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Urbana
    Posts
    36,100
     rangercalfas
    Mentioned
    288 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It also seems less about believing Owens and more about collectors knowing that random people, not pictured on the card, have signed cards for card companies; some under pretense of being the person pictured.

  14. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Babylon, NY
    Posts
    2,994
     broth6
     yowhatupbroth
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man this thread is awesome
    Collecting Hank Greenberg
    Greenberg Collection

    My blog!

  15. #45
    Administrator cgilmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
    Posts
    35,980
     fcbsportscards
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan View Post
    Man this thread is awesome
    I love the internet.


    Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Check out the FCB Community Sports Card Podcast
    Wanna host? PM Me! We would love to have YOU on the podcast.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •