Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Goose Gossage seems to be upset ... at everything

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Here is my two cents. Gossage is wrong for saying that baseball is being run by nerds. There is no question that statistical metrics are becoming more apart of the game to measure a player's worth. Almost every single team is adopting metrics such as ERA+, UZR, FIP, etc. Why do you think free agents are being signed as quickly as they once were? I do agree with Gossage, however, that new rules are making the game appear whimpy. The take out slide is such an exciting play, like the play at the plate. You were taught as a young player to not stand on the tracks when the train is coming through. Baseball is great because of it's distinct and unique heritage, so I can see where Gossage is coming from. I also agree there is a right and a wrong way to "pimp". Gossage said in his day, players like Bautista wouldn't dare and try bat flips. Baseball should and always be a classy game. I don't mind a player celebrating with teammates in the dugout, but showing up pitchers is bush league. The art of pitching inside is also lost. So, I concur with Gossage on most, but not everything he said.

tl;dr

You're old.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I guess that makes me 25 years of OLD age. You're making me feel young again!

Your mentality is old, whether you are or not.

The professional players who are playing the game enjoy what has been happening on the game over the past 5+ years.

There are a few old ******* toughguys like McCann who are still hanging on, but for the most part, players love bat flips, fist pumps, home run trots, et al.

If one of these old-school, right-way pitchers doesn't want Bryce Harper, or Kyle Schwarber to pimp a HR...get them out.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Some of those were weak, but Rickey and the Japanese league guys know how to bat flip......and damn Fielder, nice dress......errrrr I mean X-long jersey

kryslarry

May 19, 2010
Nor-Cal
I agree showing up pitchers is "bush league" but that feeling you get when you connect with a firey fastball and you KNOW it is over the fence by a mile, and the pitcher has been throwing nastiness all night, I say damn right have some fun and show off a little. Pitchers pump their fist or yell with k's and outs, so why not show some enthusiasm? Standing there and admiring it is showing up the pitcher to me. A bat flip is a spur of the moment exuberance.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Some of those were weak, but Rickey and the Japanese league guys know how to bat flip......and damn Fielder, nice dress......errrrr I mean X-long jersey

The bat-flip card that Topps made of Bautista is actually the second time they've called attention to a celebration. I till love that 2013 Topps Fielder card of the infamous "splashdown".

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I have no problem with bat flips.

I also have no problem with whoever made the bat flip taking a fastball to the back in his next at-bat.

I have no problem with take-out slides at second base.

I DO however have a problem with the 2nd base bag not being actually touched by the defender while attempting a double play. If Major League Baseball is going to change the slide rule at second base, they need to get rid of the bullsh*t 'in the area' rule. Touch the damn bag or the base runner is safe.

Bryce Harper is a ****** bag, and Goose Gossage is a bitter old man.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I'm simply not a fan of bat flips. They're trashy as Hell. If I'm on the mound and you show me up, you bet your tail the next one is coming at your teammate's back or you in the next rodeo. I don't care if you and your teammates throw a party in the dugout, but on the field, show some respect and class.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Bryce Harper is awesome for the game.

They did change the neighborhood play rule at the same exact time they changed the take out slide rule.

Pitchers who throw at batters are insecure *******, especially if they are in the AL.

That entire bull**** mentality needs to go away...along with anyone who thinks that way.

My grandfather was hospitalized because some ******* pitcher hit him in the head after he hit a home run.

Sig40cal

Jul 23, 2012
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I think it's all part of the sportscenter created monster called "lookatme!!!" Watch me showboat. Watch me show up the other team. Watch me celebrate after every missed free point attempt. Watch me make a tackle every other CB in the NFL makes during every game of a 16 game schedule.

kryslarry

May 19, 2010
Nor-Cal

I also have no problem with whoever made the bat flip taking a fastball to the back in his next at-bat.

I DO however have a problem with the 2nd base bag not being actually touched by the defender while attempting a double play. If Major League Baseball is going to change the slide rule at second base, they need to get rid of the bullsh*t 'in the area' rule. Touch the damn bag or the base runner is safe.

I love this!

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

CH mentioned it, but the thing you do have the problem with was changed. It is a reviewable play now I think and you must have the ball in possession at the time you touch the bag.

Ryan

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Haha!!

And then cut to Ruth calling his shot, gesturing toward the opposing dugout, Williams skipping and clapping around the bases, Nolan pumping his fist, Rickey popping his collar, ad infinitum.

Exactly, I've seen plenty of videos of Ruth watching a majestic shot. If Harper hits a 600 ft shot and watches it who cares? People who act like old school player didn't showboat are way wrong.

Members online

Latest posts