Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player collectors PSA Registry question and opinions needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
These questions are for player collectors opinions on mySet Registry for PSA. I am not looking for debates on whether or not to gradeor which company is better etc.

With that being said I have wanted to start the Registry fora while. I don’t know a ton about it but if it in some way motivates me to getmore organized then I am all for it. I have viewed a few collections on thereand noticed some people only use PSA 10’s. I have roughly 80+ PSA 10s of myplayer but probably about the samenumber of lower grades.

My first question is would you add these lower grades tothe list? 9’s and 8’s.
Is this Register easy to navigate, I ask this because Ialready screwed some things up trying to add a few to get started. (I guess Iwill test their customer service sooner than later)

Anyone have any pros or cons with this Registry? Any help is appreciated. Kevin in CT.

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
You should add all graded cards you have to your set. Lots of cards are hard to find in higher grades so a 7 or 8 might even be the top card. Even if it's not it fills the slot.

Once you get used to navigating your sets it's pretty easy to follow.

The main pro on the registry is that it's fun. The con's are that a lot of registry collectors are a-holes. At least on the sets I have.

Scott F

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Scott thanks for your input. You reminded me to post that my players playing years were mid 80's to 2001. Some people might think that those years shouldn't add the lower grades. I planned on it but wanted to here the members opinions also. Thanks again.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I add all my card regardless of grade. Some people do only 9s and 10s unless its an oddball card or is a tough grade

NY Tony

Mar 29, 2013
While I don't have a psa registry - I do keep an an excel spreadsheet (bc my PC is about 50/50 between psa and Beckett
But I like to list any 9's or whatever grades as it helps remind me and motivate me to try to get a 10/9.5

Just my &.02

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Thanks everyone. I hope I square my account away so I can begin adding to this. I been thinking about joining PSA again maybe this will motivate me.

rexvos

Aug 24, 2008
Depends on your goals, if you are subbing or buying, and how long term a project is for you.

i only add PSA 10s to my Darryl Strawberry, Mike Trout, Bryce Harper and Clayton Kershaw registries. I am working on basic sets of all 4.

i have Joe Montanta, Archie Manning, Tony Dorsett and a few others I only add PSA 9 or above

then I have my Nolan Ryan, Michael Jordan sets where I have PSA 7 and above. I only need to upgrade 1 Jordan to make PSA 8 and above

if you are working on a master set or a vintage set then lower grades are to be expected, but if it is mainly newer stuff that is commonly available then 10s can be achieved with skill, luck, patience and perseverance.

I sub a lot so you would not believe the joy I get in the simplest Strawberry or Kershaw 10 I get back on a card that cannot be found on eBay.

Good luck. The Registry is a very addictive drug

Last edited:

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I have had a Butler registry for quite some time and have always enjoyed it. PSA is generally pretty quick about adding new cards to it as I make requests. As others have said, you'll quickly get the hang of things as you mess with it. And yes, add any card, regardless of grade. It serves to keep me better organized and is a quick and easy reference when I see an available upgrade.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Depends on your goals, if you are subbing or buying, and how long term a project is for you.

i only add PSA 10s to my Darryl Strawberry, Mike Trout, Bryce Harper and Clayton Kershaw registries. I am working on basic sets of all 4.

i have Joe Montanta, Archie Manning, Tony Dorsett and a few others I only add PSA 9 or above

then I have my Nolan Ryan, Michael Jordan sets where I have PSA 7 and above. I only need to upgrade 1 Jordan to make PSA 8 and above

if you are working on a master set or a vintage set then lower grades are to be expected, but if it is mainly newer stuff that is commonly available then 10s can be achieved with skill, luck, patience and perseverance.

I sub a lot so you would not believe the joy I get in the simplest Strawberry or Kershaw 10 I get back on a card that cannot be found on eBay.

Good luck. The Registry is a very addictive drug
Thanks so much for your input. I decided since I already had the stuff graded I would add the lower grades and could someday upgrade. Even though they are cards from '85-01. I'm only a few cards in and I'm enjoying it. It is a players set and I should be passing the leader shortly. Maybe this will get me to start subbing seeing my progress. Thanks again. Kevin in CT.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I have had a Butler registry for quite some time and have always enjoyed it. PSA is generally pretty quick about adding new cards to it as I make requests. As others have said, you'll quickly get the hang of things as you mess with it. And yes, add any card, regardless of grade. It serves to keep me better organized and is a quick and easy reference when I see an available upgrade.

I took your advice and added the lower grades. So far so good. Thanks.

Question,
I ran across duplicates I own. Do you guys add dupes? Only 2 so far but one had a pop of 2 and I have both.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I almost never keep dupes in my PSA inventory. If they don't fit my set, then I delete them. The only exceptions are a few that are silly variations (* vs ** or INC vs INC. for instance). Those I keep in there - maybe one day I'll try to get PSA to recognize those variations that all 80s- and 90s-era players collectors recognize.

rexvos

Aug 24, 2008
What player are you working on? I add dupes typically if I think I will keep it

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Paul O'Neill is my main focus. I have other sets I can add but I want to complete this first.

Members online

Latest posts