Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BOO! to Dave Roberts...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
This NOT a discussion of his rally-starting SB off Rivera.

The Dodgers rookie manager, Roberts, just pulled rookie Starter Ross Stripling after 7.1 of No-hitting the Giants.

He was at 100 pitches and two years out from TJ Surgery. It was his MLB Debut. Had four walks. It was raining pretty hard too.

Personally, I disagree, leave him in.Your thoughts?

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Maybe from an analytics standpoint it was the right thing to do. It's always easy to second guess a manager/coach when viewed from hindsight's perspective. Kid pitched a hell of a ballgame, and was visibly upset when he saw Roberts climb the dugout steps. I wish DR would have let him pitch to the next batter. He might have gotten that inning-ending DP, or he might have given up a bomb. I think he earned the right to find out.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
100 pitches was enough. He wasn't built up in ST to be a starter to begin with. Bad break yes, bad call I don't feel it was.

Yup

It's a team sport. He was done. It's a very long season. What the following pitcher did is inconsequential to the original decision.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I'd second guess a manager that didn't pull him. 100 pitches early in the 8th. He'd be looking at at least another 20-30 pitches on a tired arm that had TJ to complete the game. Manager made the right call.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
I was watching live and it shocked me when he made the call to the bullpen. I really wanted to see the no-hitter in a debut. But objectively it was the right call. It's easy to second guess after knowing what happened.

no10pin

Dec 16, 2013
It obviously didn't work out, but it was probably the right call. Even Stripling said it was the right thing to do because he was tired.

I wonder if he'd have let him keep going if he hadn't walked someone that inning.

Members online

Latest posts