Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another sack punch! Sniper system fails at the wrong time.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I guess I should know better by now. I use a free snipe service and it has failed me yet again. The sad part is that it always seems to fail at the perfectly wrong time. It never seems to fail when I have some dollar cards lined up, only big wants. I lost out on 3 items this evening that I really wanted as I was at my son's baseball practice. 2 Garvey, one being a Topps Vault goodie and the frigging 1941 Goudey Whit Wyatt yellow that still eludes me to complete the 4 color run!

I paid for the back-up service once and maybe I need to do it again. If I didn't know better, I'd almost say it is set to fail periodically just to get you to buy the service.

I guess I can't complain too much about a free service, but it hurts to lose on a technical fail!

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I know the crappy feeling to lose out on an auction. Sucks sucks sucks. Why not use a pay site for the "must wins" and use the free one for the dollar cards. Auction Sniper failed me only one time and I have been using them for years. The small fee is painless compared to that crap feeling of missing a must have.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I use Gixen and paid the $6 and ever since, not a single fail. For $6 a year, it's a no brainer.

Fordman

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Those fails are hard to forget about. I use AS for free too and have had it fail I'd say 3-4 times and haven't learned my lesson I guess.

Ryan

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I never use snipes. I just bid my top amount and forget. I still can't understand how a last second bid changes anything. If I'll only pay x amount, when will it matter when I put the bid in

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I never use snipes. I just bid my top amount and forget. I still can't understand how a last second bid changes anything. If I'll only pay x amount, when will it matter when I put the bid in

Because those who refuse to get outbid may increase what they are willing to originally pay to beat you if they know they are going to need to pay. It's how early bidding habits influence how others will bid basically.

Ryan

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Because those who refuse to get outbid may increase what they are willing to originally pay to beat you if they know they are going to need to pay. It's how early bidding habits influence how others will bid basically.

Ryan

I think I'm different than most, I make up my mind and stick with it. I use to increase my bottom line but not anymore

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
You will pay more with a proxy bid in most cases, no doubt about it. Like it was said, sometimes people will bid and bid until they are top bidder. With a snipe, you can only outbid what is already there.

Simplest way to show this: 2 lots. You are willing to pay $20 for one. Assume $20 is a fair price, maybe a bit on the high end for this example.

Case A: You bid $20 early. You wait and watch. Someone comes along and nibbles away at your bid until they are high bidder at $21. You lose!

Case B: You set a snipe for $20. You wait and watch. "That guy" who always has to be top bidder bids $5. He remains high bidder until someone bids $10. He jumps back in at a dollar a time until it's at $11 and he is king again. Nobody else bids. Your snipe comes in and you win it for $12.

Obviously this is a simple example, but it will happen this way a lot of the time. Bids attract attention to items as well.

My recommendation is to place a minimum bid to show interest or to kill a BIN and then set a snipe. You'll pay less and win more.

I think I'm different than most, I make up my mind and stick with it. I use to increase my bottom line but not anymore

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
You will pay more with a proxy bid in most cases, no doubt about it. Like it was said, sometimes people will bid and bid until they are top bidder. With a snipe, you can only outbid what is already there.

Simplest way to show this: 2 lots. You are willing to pay $20 for one. Assume $20 is a fair price, maybe a bit on the high end for this example.

Case A: You bid $20 early. You wait and watch. Someone comes along and nibbles away at your bid until they are high bidder at $21. You lose!

Case B: You set a snipe for $20. You wait and watch. "That guy" who always has to be top bidder bids $5. He remains high bidder until someone bids $10. He jumps back in at a dollar a time until it's at $11 and he is king again. Nobody else bids. Your snipe comes in and you win it for $12.

Obviously this is a simple example, but it will happen this way a lot of the time. Bids attract attention to items as well.

My recommendation is to place a minimum bid to show interest or to kill a BIN and then set a snipe. You'll pay less and win more.

I see what you mean. Good advice, I just will probably forget about setting a snipe hahaha. I think I pay a lot less by searching for best offers first, Ive gotten some good deals with that method

Members online

Latest posts