Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why did Topps Tek in Football Fail?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I am not sure if it was ever released in football back in the day (98-00) but even if it was, it seems in general that baseball is more popular as is basketball. For some reason, football seems to be an afterthought in this hobby. Just see this side of the boards and its lack of activity as a prime example.

So the fact the new stuff is not worth much or going for much doesn't surprise me.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I am not sure if it was ever released in football back in the day (98-00) but even if it was, it seems in general that baseball is more popular as is basketball. For some reason, football seems to be an afterthought in this hobby. Just see this side of the boards and its lack of activity as a prime example.

So the fact the new stuff is not worth much or going for much doesn't surprise me.

Outside of this board, this is blatantly untrue.

At every large show I've ever been to, nearly every table with modern singles has tons of high-end football patches and autos.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Outside of this board, this is blatantly untrue.

At every large show I've ever been to, nearly every table with modern singles has tons of high-end football patches and autos.

Yes, and other than my cousin, I've never run into a single other person besides myself collecting football cards. Even at shows, the tables are littered with baseball card collectors. While the football boxes sit untouched. Trust me, I get some damn good deals. And I'm totally ok with that. Even online sales of the best current players pale significantly in comparison to the prices baseball cards reach for current hot players. It's insane how there is that big drop off but it does exist. Hey...saves me a lot of money. My football collection is starting to make my baseball collection look anemic. And at half the price or less.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Yes, and other than my cousin, I've never run into a single other person besides myself collecting football cards. Even at shows, the tables are littered with baseball card collectors. While the football boxes sit untouched. Trust me, I get some damn good deals. And I'm totally ok with that. Even online sales of the best current players pale significantly in comparison to the prices baseball cards reach for current hot players. It's insane how there is that big drop off but it does exist. Hey...saves me a lot of money. My football collection is starting to make my baseball collection look anemic. And at half the price or less.

Must be where you are.

Chicago shows are football HEAVY.

Wax and singles.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
i ALMOST replied to the predator's first comment as soon as he posted it but was running late so opted to pass.....but now i'll chime in...

i may not get a chance to go to shows since there are virtually none anywhere near me anymore , but based on my experience buying and selling online and at the local flea markets interest in football cards dwarfs interest in basketball cards unless you're talking about jordan , lebron , or curry.....my own personal sales over the past 15 months would be roughly 45% baseball , 40% football , 8% basketball , and 7% all other (hockey , racing , golf , and non-sports).....in fact , if you removed one regular customer who loves the original dream team era players , i'd say my basketball sales would be closer to 1%....

the thing i'll say in reference to the OP's question.....while i disagree with predator's assertion that football cards are "an afterthought" , i just think that baseball player collectors AND set builders are a slightly different breed than those in any other sport.....now had topps produced a tek football set in the same 1998-2000 time frame as baseball , MAYBE - just maybe - there would have been a different interest level in a new release of the product line....

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Must be where you are.

Chicago shows are football HEAVY.

Wax and singles.

Texas. Football couldn't be any more popular here. Interest in the cards however, not so much. That's just the vibe I get and what I see.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
i ALMOST replied to the predator's first comment as soon as he posted it but was running late so opted to pass.....but now i'll chime in...

i may not get a chance to go to shows since there are virtually none anywhere near me anymore , but based on my experience buying and selling online and at the local flea markets interest in football cards dwarfs interest in basketball cards unless you're talking about jordan , lebron , or curry.....my own personal sales over the past 15 months would be roughly 45% baseball , 40% football , 8% basketball , and 7% all other (hockey , racing , golf , and non-sports).....in fact , if you removed one regular customer who loves the original dream team era players , i'd say my basketball sales would be closer to 1%....

the thing i'll say in reference to the OP's question.....while i disagree with predator's assertion that football cards are "an afterthought" , i just think that baseball player collectors AND set builders are a slightly different breed than those in any other sport.....now had topps produced a tek football set in the same 1998-2000 time frame as baseball , MAYBE - just maybe - there would have been a different interest level in a new release of the product line....

You may sell more football than basketball, but price wise, basketball is some kind of monster!

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I haven't opened any of this product, but I think it failed because breakers didn't have a good chance of pulling any good autographs. In baseball you had a chance at a bunch of great veteran autographs like Griffey, Koufax, Mcgwire, Maddux and a ton of other good names, in football most cases just had a bunch of rookie scrub autographs. Even if you pulled someone better like a todd gurley auto it barely covered the price of the box. Add this in with a lack of history with the product in football and it just wasn't a good mix.

Members online

Latest posts