Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

First and last serial numbers-- should they fetch more $$?

Should 1st and last serial numbered cards be worth more than other #'d cards in the same PR?

• Yes

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • No.

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The problem for something like this that as soon as enough people notice any sort of premium on it, sellers start expecting to get it, pricing items by advertising it and basically some people holding those items hostage, expecting the buyers to pay for what they once were able to get as a regular card. I do the same thing you do with the number 6, but have never really seen the weird number combinations that are not a jersey number ever pop up for sale other than 60 & 66.

As of right now I have about 250 Ripken cards with First, Last and Jersey number serial numbers. They are part of my PC but separate from the main PC. They are a collection of their own, if you will. But like most, I wouldn't go out of my way to find them or pay too much more for them. I also set aside the 80 / 080 / 808 / or any combinations of zeroes and eights.

However, If I have the 0008 / 0088 / 0800 / 0808 and so on, I might go after the others a little more aggressive but that's a looooooong shot. The most I have is two of any card and I got them both by accident.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The same goes when I have the first and last, then I will have to chase the jersey number or any combination of these three..

attachment.php

attachment.php

timtom

Apr 24, 2013
Nashville, TN
First and last numbers don't excite me that much, though I guess I prefer them over just a regular number if possible, but I don't usually pay a premium for it.

I will pay a premium for a jersey number card. The higher the print run the more of a premium I will pay. With so many cards out there I feel like I am looking for an additional way to set my collection apart. It is in my mind getting the best card in the print run.

Dan

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I don't necessarily think they should but they do. And not even the last number, but #1 , jersey number, and maybe a really significant stat number, like a Ripken #2130 or something, will either sell for a premium or sell faster than another number. I don't seek out these cards but if I happen across a Frank Thomas #35 /xx, I would be tempted to buy it, even if I already had a copy, as long as it wasn't priced more than a couple percent over a normal card.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
First and last numbers don't excite me that much, though I guess I prefer them over just a regular number if possible, but I don't usually pay a premium for it.

I will pay a premium for a jersey number card. The higher the print run the more of a premium I will pay. With so many cards out there I feel like I am looking for an additional way to set my collection apart. It is in my mind getting the best card in the print run.

Dan

Me and you differ on this. However, I think we'd probably both agree when it comes to an auto or a patch, the best looking auto or patch is the key, not the numbering. I see a plain looking patch or a jacked up auto, even if it is 5/???, I'm taking the better looking one. Or are you numbering no matter what?

Dec 4, 2008
There is an eBay buyer who buys #001 serial number cards of all players. Not junk like Moments and Milestones, but really across a broad range of years and manufactures. So for those there is a special market. Premium vs normal serials isn't crazy but it is pretty solid, prob about 30%.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
There is an eBay buyer who buys #001 serial number cards of all players. Not junk like Moments and Milestones, but really across a broad range of years and manufactures. So for those there is a special market. Premium vs normal serials isn't crazy but it is pretty solid, prob about 30%.

Let me know if you know his seller ID. I have some stuff he would prob like.

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
And then there are those sellers who don't even list the card serial # in the title (annoying) and sell them for too little:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Donruss-The-Prospects-Black-Border-5-Brendan-Rodgers-199-/231952949682

This is true for me also, and no scans of the back. However, I'd be lying if I say I have NEVER received a Ripken jersey numbered from sellers who either don't know, don't pay attention, don't care or combination of all. At least a handful and cheaper than when it is stated...

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
Not at all. Also, people selling them as 1/1s are scum of the 'bay. EVERY numbered card is a 1/1 by that flawed logic. There's nothing inherently special about having 001/500 or 1000/1000, the odds of getting that # are the same as any other.

+1

It's beyond annoying searching for cards seeing 1/1 for any number of stupid reasons they think it's 1/1

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
The 001/500 Musial/Mantle/Yaz Score auto just sold for $860 and the autos were not perfect. I would estimate it sold around$100-$150 more than it would have otherwise.

I was willing to pay a premium (I bid around 800)

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Yes they should. In about any hobby, when there are serial numbers (die cast vehicles, guns, knives, belt buckles, whatever), the first number and to a lesser extent the last number carry a premium. Our brains are hardwired to find patterns in numbers, and the first of a series always attracts more attention than a mid-sequence number.

timtom

Apr 24, 2013
Nashville, TN
Me and you differ on this. However, I think we'd probably both agree when it comes to an auto or a patch, the best looking auto or patch is the key, not the numbering. I see a plain looking patch or a jacked up auto, even if it is 5/???, I'm taking the better looking one. Or are you numbering no matter what?

No I agree that the best looking patch, or a quality autograph is the most important thing. But with things being equal in terms of the autograph, or having a plain jersey piece, or a basic numbered card then I want the jersey #'d card.

Dan

srt4eh

Apr 22, 2011
Personally I will not pay a premium for #1 or the last one...not even the jersey number. It's definitely cool to get one of those numbers but as long as I get a mint copy of the card...the serial number doesn't matter to me.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
As a player collector, the only one I might pay a bit more for is the jersey number.

Sent from my Android using the Freedom Cardboard app.

Not being a player collector, I feel the same way. Really don't put extra value in something just because it was the first or last one printed, but think the jersey number angle adds a smidgen of a cool factor.

Members online

Latest posts