Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Josh Gibson Tier One knob pulled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
By a guy on Facebook. It's a beauty.

f7fb763d7a9676bf58b7c002ee62227a.jpg

A_Pharis

Gibson model bat, right?

If it's from the same bats Topps purchased around 2006, it has never been referred to as "Used". Releases and blurbs always called them "game models". When Sterling first released cards featuring relics of Gibson, it quickly spread that there was no solid proof that these bats were actually used by Gibson - as opposed to just crafted for him.

I understand they are still valuable, but if I were wanting to spend that kind of cash on something used by a player then it wouldn't be that.

A_Pharis

From a write up regarding one of the first releases:

""There are only two known game model bats of Josh Gibson's available, and we bought one of them," said Topps' Clay Luraschi.

A card of this historic magnitude doesn't come without controversary. Some collectors have scoffed at this card's historic relevance citing the lack of evidence that the bat was ever used by Gibson in an official game. Topps to their credit has never advertised the card as such, only stating that there is a possibility that the bat was game-used."

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
From a write up regarding one of the first releases:

""There are only two known game model bats of Josh Gibson's available, and we bought one of them," said Topps' Clay Luraschi.

A card of this historic magnitude doesn't come without controversary. Some collectors have scoffed at this card's historic relevance citing the lack of evidence that the bat was ever used by Gibson in an official game. Topps to their credit has never advertised the card as such, only stating that there is a possibility that the bat was game-used."

With this one, it def is stating game used on the front of the card. I'm curious if this is from the same or not.

Ryan

A_Pharis

With this one, it def is stating game used on the front of the card. I'm curious if this is from the same or not.

Ryan

According to Topps - in 2006 - there are only two known Gibson bats (of any sort) to hit the market until that point (or even exist Edit: Apparently, this one exists, though there's no real info on it: http://www.thenationalpastimemuseum.com/exhibition/object/1935-gibson-bat), and Topps bought both of them. Both were noted as "model" bats.

This would have to be from (a) a sale since 2006 of a (b) one of a kind "used" Gibson bat.

Hell, I could be wrong, but I figure a Gibson gamer coming to market would be newsworthy.

Or, the much more likely case, someone grabbed a piece from the Gibson stock an didn't give a rat's ass about labeling it "used".

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
According to Topps - in 2006 - there are only two known Gibson bats (of any sort) to hit the market until that point (or even exist Edit: Apparently, this one exists, though there's no real info on it: http://www.thenationalpastimemuseum.com/exhibition/object/1935-gibson-bat), and Topps bought both of them. Both were noted as "model" bats.

This would have to be from (a) a sale since 2006 of a (b) one of a kind "used" Gibson bat.

Hell, I could be wrong, but I figure a Gibson gamer coming to market would be newsworthy.

Or, the much more likely case, someone grabbed a piece from the Gibson stock an didn't give a rat's ass about labeling it "used".

Yes, the newsworthy part I 100% agree with. It should be promoted if its a new GAME USED bat. Also I'm surprised that if this is from the 2006 range bats, it's 10 years later that they are using it. There are so many damn things I'd change if I could with the manufactures ;)

Ryan

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
If topps are using game models, they might as well crank up the lumber mill and make more Gibson's. We know they already run a textile mill for patches.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
With 2006 Topps Sterling they used an actual bat (compared to a Forbes Field seat in Bowman Sterling), and that was supposed to be a "model" bat. According to this 2006 article, Topps was not hiding the fact that they were not game-used, or at least they didn't claim they were.

These were very limited, like this:
attachment.php

The problem was, Topps clearly states that the bat is game-used on the card:
attachment.php

IIRC, they said this was a mistake, but how can you make a mistake like that?

And there was this barrel, presumably from the same bat as the knob above, although the color of the wood looks distinctly different.
attachment.php

The article linked above says they got one of the two known bats. If they had acquired and have now cut up a second bat, I guess there will be another barrel card coming eventually, and another knob.

Topps really does themselves only harm by not being completely clear as to what they are putting on these cards If a card is game-used, be sure and definite about it. If it's not game-used, be just as definite. Don't do a dance with the word "game" and expect people to understand what you mean. And don't screw up saying one when you mean the other. But maybe that's why they do it.

And am I just missing it, or does the word "Topps" not appear on the front of the knob card?

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 04_JoshGibson.jpg
    04_JoshGibson.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 158
  • josh-gibson-2006-topps-sterling-bat-card-4_1_c94f12ccaf9d4975e2267aa1c5d5c0cf.jpg
    josh-gibson-2006-topps-sterling-bat-card-4_1_c94f12ccaf9d4975e2267aa1c5d5c0cf.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 154
  • josh-gibson-2006-topps-sterling-bat-card-4_1_c94f12ccaf9d4975e2267aa1c5d5c0cf.jpg
    josh-gibson-2006-topps-sterling-bat-card-4_1_c94f12ccaf9d4975e2267aa1c5d5c0cf.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 155

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
For what it's worth in 2006 I bought the Topps Sterling, Allen & Ginter, and 3 different Triple Threads pieces with Josh Gibson. I did a lot of research on the bat and while others have said is absolutely correct I was always comfortable that the bat was used by Gibson in one form or another, it could have possibly been a practice bat. The bat was specifically designed for him and the bat shows a pretty considerable amount of wear. You have to remember he was a ***** Leagues player and this was many years ago, the chances of a bat being made for Gibson and never touched by him to begin with is low and to add that the bat does show a lot of wear made me comfortable with it. I definitely wish there was more transparency with the high end game used and patches (especially with Topps) but as a collector I guess you just have to do your best at researching the product and making a determination that you're comfortable with.

Members online

Latest posts