Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Greg Maddux Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
Some more of his stuff...

2005 Prime Patches with a throwback Braves patch #'d/5
After researching it, I believe this patch (part of the sleeve feather from his 1974 throwback uniform) was from a game against the Phillies in which Maddux recorded a win on July 21, 2002 at Turner Field. If indeed the patch is from a game used jersey (and not one that he simply wore while sitting in the dugout), this would have been (from what I found) the only game in which he pitched in a 1974 Braves throwback uniform. If anyone can provide me with something different please let me know.

1999 Crown Royale Players Choice PR/24 BGS 9.5

Some 2005 Prime Patches Laundry tags with a 2005 Zenith Spellbound Prime #'d/10

and, a 2002 Playoff Piece of the Game #'d/50 with part of the Nike logo (with game dirt) from the tongue of the shoe #'d/50

and, what I believe is his first actual book card from '05 #'d/25

IMG_1502.JPGIMG_1511.JPGIMG_1513.JPGIMG_1515.JPGIMG_1518.JPGIMG_1499.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1514.jpg
    IMG_1514.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
While I love the look of the '98 Metal PMG's better, you can really get a sense of his intensity on the mound from the expression on his face in his '99 Metal PMG. One of my favorite recent pickups.

IMG_1495.JPG

Last edited:

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
I've saved the best for my last post of the night...his '87 Donruss rookie card!!! But non just any '87 rc, this one happens to be a blank back version. I've been looking for his '87 Donruss blank back for quite a while now. I don't know how many '80s and early 90's blank backs there are out floating around, but I can say they rarely pop up. I'm still looking for everything between '89 to '91. The only other '87 blank back that I saw listed was banged up a lot worse than this one which has a surface scrape in the upper right portion of the card and the seller was asking $100+ on it. I got this card for well under half of what the other seller was asking and considering that think I've seen just as many 1990's aqueous test issues (two to be exact) in the last four to five years I gladly paid up. Growing up as a kid the '87 Donruss set was the first time that I can remember really going after a particular brand. At the time Maddux wasn't even on my radar and it was the Bo, McGwire, Clark, Mattingly, Murph, Strawberry, Canseco, Nolan, Et al. that I desperately trying to find. For what ever reason, I've always thought this set was underrated in terms of its aesthetic design. Anyhow, I was super happy to grab this card as I really believe that proofs and test issues in the junk wax era especially stand out when confronted with the millions of cards that would precede them.

IMG_1497.JPGIMG_1498.JPG

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Great stuff. Love the patches, the PMG, blank back and the 97 Finest looks awesome.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
A few oddballs:

1989 TV Sports mailbag. Are you certain there are two different ones? I have one seen the one. (I have loads of these if people are looking for particular players BTW).
i-dq2vWvj-L.jpg

1991 High 5 (wasnt on your oddball list)
i-vcCm6Ws-L.jpg

1992 Red Foley Stickers
i-WjJW3Xf.jpg

1992 Stadium Club East Coast National. Not the easiest to find. Not sure if it would fit into your oddball category.
i-ZNtxG3t.jpg

And a few randoms:
i-545pX55-L.jpg
i-hsVM6J4-L.jpg

i-tDTXZzC-L.jpg

i-LxnBWcF.jpg

(pardon the tiny scan)
i-4bFCFBr-L.jpg

Last edited:

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Here's two of the bigger pickups that I've been fortunate to land as of recently. The mirror black is one of my Holy Grail cards, and the '05 Bowman Chrome Superfractor is cool in that it was (I believe) the landmark year for the Superfractor itself.

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

That Maddux superfractor is gorgeous and you are right, 2005 was the landmark year for superfractors which makes it even cooler. It goes without saying that the black mirror is epic.

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
A few oddballs:

1989 TV Sports mailbag. Are you certain there are two different ones? I have one seen the one. (I have loads of these if people are looking for particular players BTW).

1991 High 5 (wasnt on your oddball list)

Thanks for letting me know...I'll edit the checklist. I must have made a mistake on the '89 TV Sports Mailbag because I've seen any other variations for that. As for the 91 High 5, I'll add it on there too (I've already got it and don't know why it wasn't on there).

With regard to the '92 Stadium Club East Coast National card, I didn't choose to add those type of cards since I felt they really need their own sort of checklist with stamped and embossed convention cards and buybacks, etc. I included mine in my run of Maddux Stadium Club cards - even though it's not technically a variation.

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
I had a 1/1 (non auto, just an insert) that I recently sold...leaving me with these two:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Just got a 1987 David Berg from COMC. It was only a PSA4, and it didn't look too bad from what I could tell, but was also cheap. The case reeks like it may have sat in a smokers home and is fairly scratched. I don't collect graded cards, but I don't hate them when I do pick them up, but this is the first time I am actually considering breaking out a card.

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
Just got a 1987 David Berg from COMC. It was only a PSA4, and it didn't look too bad from what I could tell, but was also cheap. The case reeks like it may have sat in a smokers home and is fairly scratched. I don't collect graded cards, but I don't hate them when I do pick them up, but this is the first time I am actually considering breaking out a card.

Crack away (but just be careful), and nice pick up on the Berg. I always hate when cards are shipped smelling like someone was blowing smoke on them right before sealing the bubble mailer. I always discard whatever kind of plastic that they came in so as not to contaminate the rest of my cards.

As far as the grading is concerned, I'm kind of the same way. If they're already slabbed wonderful, and should they have a high grade even better. However, if not that's ok too. If my cards aren't graded they're either in a magnetic or binder. I've always prefer storing in a binder so long as the card isn't too expensive.

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
Crack away (but just be careful), and nice pick up on the Berg. I always hate when cards are shipped smelling like someone was blowing smoke on them right before sealing the bubble mailer. I always discard whatever kind of plastic that they came in so as not to contaminate the rest of my cards.

As far as the grading is concerned, I'm kind of the same way. If they're already slabbed wonderful, and should they have a high grade even better. However, if not that's ok too. If my cards aren't graded they're either in a magnetic or binder. I've always prefer storing in a binder so long as the card isn't too expensive.

I'm with you on binders. I like to occasionally look at my cards instead of just dropping them in a box and sticking them in the basement.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
I read today that Maddux faced 20,421 batters in his career and only went 3-0 on them 310 times. 177 of those were intentional walks.

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
I read today that Maddux faced 20,421 batters in his career and only went 3-0 on them 310 times. 177 of those were intentional walks.

I remember watching an interview with Orel Hershiser, where he described a game in which Maddux had hit a batter. Maddux claimed it was accidental, but Hershiser said he didn't buy it because, as he put it, Maddux could pitch into consistently pitch into tea cups of he wanted to.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Just about 1 of every 200 batters if you take out the INTL. 1 every 6 games or so. Not shabby...

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

Members online