Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Steve Phillips suggests MLB adopt beer league softball rule

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Former Mets GM Steve Phillips has bold idea to speed up games - NY Daily News

Long story short, he proposes a rule change that would speed games up and save wear and tear on young pitchers and assorted million dollar arms, while catering to the gnat-like attention span that millennials seem to have. The change? Start the count at 1-1. Two strikes and you're out. Three balls and you get a free pass.

This must might be the most mind-blowingly stupid idea I've ever heard. Hey, let's throw damn near 200 years worth of history and stats out the window. When the next Clayton Kershaw or Nolan Ryan comes along and routinely starts picking up 4-500+ strikeouts a year, nobody will ever notice that former record holders had to throw extra pitches to record those strikeouts. Perfect games and no-hitters? Might become much more commonplace under such a rule.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
Leave baseball alone!

These miserable people are spending their miserable lives trying to suck the enjoyment out of everyone else's lives. Quit tinkering with the last ******* bastion of American sports.

MatthewN

Sep 30, 2015
Coralville, IA
Yesterday I was at Cubs-Brewers in Milwaukee. The 9 inning game lasted 4 hours and 8 minutes. Is that what I ideally want in terms of time? No, but I wouldn't change it.

Berkey33

Nov 8, 2014
why not also start with 1 out?
also if the game hits the 2 hour mark, have 2 outs and the count starts at 2-2.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
just enforce a pitch clock if you are really that concerned about MLB game times (which I'm not). In the minor leagues here, it's made the game zippy (seems most games are under 2h30m now compared to about 3h0m to 3h30m typically before the pitch clock).

Members online

Latest posts