Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Picked up a beautiful sketch card, and an oddball opportunity for player collectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I had a very pleasant experience with noted sports artist Monty Sheldon this week. Monty is a renowned "Artball" artist, known for his hand-painted baseballs, the sketch cards he's done for Topps Gypsy Queen and National Chicle, and the Helmar Brewing series. His facebook page shows much of his art: https://www.facebook.com/Artball-Painter-Monty-Sheldon-220955254596509/?fref=nf

Mr. Sheldon was selling a few of the remaining sketch cards he had done as a custom set in 2009 and 2010. He happened to have the Hack Wilson from the 2010 set available, and so I made him an offer on it. I promised to feature it on HackWilson.com with a link to his site in exchange for a discount on it. As mutual fans of baseball history, we exchanged a few emails regarding our creations - he liked CapAnson.com and HackWilson.com and I'm a big fan of his work, especially the 110 baseballs he painted for the ***** League Museum. So he sold me the Hack at my offer, and sent it out right away.

Two days later, I had the card in hand. I think it looks awesome (card is standard size, shown at 200%)! Sheldon said the design was inspired by the 1911-1938 Zee-Nut series, which featured a detachable coupon redeemable for prizes.

sheldon1.jpg
sheldon2.jpg

Monty included as a bonus (I had no idea until I opened the package) a full set of the 44 promotional cards he had printed for the 5 series of Artballs he did between 1998-1999. These are cool oddballs. I'm tempted to keep the whole set, but if some of you need them for your player collections, I may break them up to help out. I think they are interesting oddballs. The checklist lists all 35 players available (other small cards of 1919 Black Sox team make up the rest). Let me know if you're interested in any of them.

sheldon3.jpg

Last edited:

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I've been looking for a copy of the Frank Thomas add card he did awhile back, but I don't know if it's included in this series. I've never seen one in the flesh, just an obscure inclusion on a web image one time.

Edited, sat down to a PC to read the checklist and I see he's not. Darn.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts