Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Very Annoyed with 2016 Topps Factory Set Purchase...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
We were at Target last night and dropped $50 on the new 2016 Topps retail factory set. They had two or three versions, one having the All-Star Game on the outside of the box. Nowhere on the box does it say that each card comes with a giant 2016 All-Star Stamp on it. I thought simply the box was different and the extra 5-card pack would be special All-Star cards. I liked the box design, so we went with that one. Opened it this morning, and every card has a foil stamp. It looks cluttered and busy. I would have preferred the non-stamped cards. What's eating me up is that the outside of the box has pictures of the cards, and there are no stamps shown. This is the same way I felt many years ago when I bought the 2003 Topps set and didn't know the HTA stamp was going to be on each card.

Is there any way to take this back to Target? I understand their exchange policy doesn't allow sports cards to be returned.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
With some time and effort you'd probably recoup your money plus more by selling off team sets and/or singles to variation collectors.

I'd go this route. charge $5. per team set and $3.00 for shipping. Make your money back X 3. You could charge more for Cubs, Nationals & Angels teams sets.

Fordman

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
With collectors so anal about everything matching, I'm not sure ten years from now if someone would want a stamped set versus just a regular set. I could be wrong. Lord knows depreciation on these sets are about 50%. I can't sell a 2010 factory set for $25 not including fees. Appreciate the advice. Just annoyed the box didnt show an example of a stamped card and nowhere does it say each card is stamped.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
With collectors so anal about everything matching, I'm not sure ten years from now if someone would want a stamped set versus just a regular set. I could be wrong. Lord knows depreciation on these sets are about 50%. I can't sell a 2010 factory set for $25 not including fees. Appreciate the advice. Just annoyed the box didnt show an example of a stamped card and nowhere does it say each card is stamped.

Surely you didnt buy this factory set as an investment for future sale did you?

Look on eBay, you'll see most of the team sets are selling for $8-$20 per team set. Under cut the other sellers at $5.00 per team set and sell what you can, recoup your $50 and go back and buy the factory set you want.

Fordman

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
Surely you didnt buy this factory set as an investment for future sale did you?

Look on eBay, you'll see most of the team sets are selling for $8-$20 per team set. Under cut the other sellers at $5.00 per team set and sell what you can, recoup your $50 and go back and buy the factory set you want.

Fordman

Not at all. It's not an investment or collectible to be stashed away. Cards are taken out of the box, sorted into teams, placed in sleeves, looked at and admired, stats read and analyzed on the back, and they will be used with our Stratomatic game. No formulated/moral opinion either way on how to collect. Someday the set may be sold if we no longer use it. I'm getting rid of some earlier sets that I have and focusing more on my Heritage run at this point.

Honestly, I just think the foil stamp looks terrible and jumbles up the card. I'm annoyed that I paid $50 for something and didn't get exactly what I thought. That's all. Really wouldn't want to go through the hassle of trying to sell 30 team sets, especially 13 of the teams that would probably never sell.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
Any know if Topps has stamped the cards before in the All-Star set? I can't find one example on Ebay other than 2016.

Part of the ridiculousness of this foil stamp is that it looks silly on cards for the marginal/bad players. Carlos Ruiz of the Phillies shouldn't have a 2016 All-Star Game stamp on his card. He didn't play in the game in 2015 or 2016. Just doesn't match our other sets at all.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I honestly think you've let something fairly trivial upset you. You can sell it off for more than a regular set will cost you. Very few of these are popping up on eBay, which benefits you as a seller.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I don't know that I'd go so far as to say trivial. I understand where the OP is coming from. That's a huge pain in the A to replace which could have easily been avoided

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
I honestly think you've let something fairly trivial upset you. You can sell it off for more than a regular set will cost you. Very few of these are popping up on eBay, which benefits you as a seller.

There's no way if I put this on Ebay tonight I'd make my money back after fees and postage, and I have no interest in trying to sell these off in team sets....way too much effort for my time. I just want the regular set.

No idea why Topps wouldn't put some verbage on the box stating these have the giant foil stamp on every card.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
I don't know that I'd go so far as to say trivial. I understand where the OP is coming from. That's a huge pain in the A to replace which could have easily been avoided

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank You.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
I will buy all your Albert Pujols cards with the All Star stamp from this set. Let me know.

We were at Target last night and dropped $50 on the new 2016 Topps retail factory set. They had two or three versions, one having the All-Star Game on the outside of the box. Nowhere on the box does it say that each card comes with a giant 2016 All-Star Stamp on it. I thought simply the box was different and the extra 5-card pack would be special All-Star cards. I liked the box design, so we went with that one. Opened it this morning, and every card has a foil stamp. It looks cluttered and busy. I would have preferred the non-stamped cards. What's eating me up is that the outside of the box has pictures of the cards, and there are no stamps shown. This is the same way I felt many years ago when I bought the 2003 Topps set and didn't know the HTA stamp was going to be on each card.

Is there any way to take this back to Target? I understand their exchange policy doesn't allow sports cards to be returned.

Members online

Latest posts